PDA

View Full Version : Neon Update!

Rabbit07
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Just wanted to keep you guys in the loop with Neon Development. I made some spring rate changes and some minor ride height changes for this last weekend at Waterford Hills. The car was quite a bit faster than last year. Same Driver, same kind of tires, ect and the car was over a 1/2 a second faster than any previous weekends. It would actually change direction without using the brake!!! :rolleyes: Still working on some aero changes ect so maybe this thing will actually start being competitive? I won, with even a few Crx's around B)

Cheers

Darryl Pritchett
05-07-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't suppose you would like to share what spring rate changes you made would you?

Rabbit07
05-08-2007, 06:15 AM
Sorry, that would help wouldn't it!

550 lbs Front, 700 lbs back

Darryl Pritchett
05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the input! I had just ordered a complete setup from GC with 550lbs up front and 600lbs in the rear, they have not shipped yet might call them and up the rear to 650 or 700. I do think the Neon can be competitive, it has the power just got to get it to turn better, maybe this is the answer.

sstecker
08-22-2007, 01:56 PM
and thats with the 4.12 fd? did you have the 4.12 last year?

Rabbit07
08-22-2007, 02:02 PM
I have had the 4.12 since early last year.

Knestis
08-22-2007, 02:59 PM
That's great to hear. I've always thought it had potential.

K

Rabbit07
08-23-2007, 07:04 AM
With how well the car did at Mid-O for the IT Fest I would say the car can be competitive. It just requires a bit time and $. I would gladly hand out the recipe to anyone who wants it?

I still stand by the fact that the SCCA weight on the DOHC Neon is too high. Nasa has them split by 50 lbs, where the SCCA has them split by 200 lbs. At the same weight my car and the fastest DOHCs that I know are dead even in a straight line, so there really isn't much of an advantage there. I know that there are some who have sent letters and been turned down, so I guess it won't happen. It is a shame though because I know that some of the NASA Spec Neon DOHCs would come play in ITA, but don't want to run at 2650 :(

On a side note, I will make another batch of spherical bearing inserts for the Neons if there are more out there that want them. I am also going to be ordering more 4.12s in the next week or so if there is any interest?

Happy Racing!

JLawton
08-23-2007, 10:48 AM
My letter to the ITAC asking to add 200lbs or an SIR to the Neon has been sent!!

:P

Seriously, there are enough Neons out there, it would be great to get some of them to start thinking "ITA".

Streetwise guy
08-28-2007, 10:43 PM
I would be interested in the 4:12 set- I need just a small touch to keep a 98 200sx behind me :rolleyes: What kind of dough are we talking about?

Jim Barnsley
95 twincam

GregM
10-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Just to add to Chris's post we finally got the new shocks in with 550 front / 650 rear . We definitely are going 700 rear next time out and will try 500 front. Progress has been slow due to parts availability.

Here's some really nice in car video from another car. Watch the right side of the screen for my car

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2009421537878243657

It was interesting to see the speed differential between ITA cars.

We have a way to go but will work on it some more. Next year we will have two identically prepared cars so we can throw a bit more at them setup wise.

Lets get some more Neons out of mothballs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JLawton
10-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Greg,
I was very impressed with your drive last weekend. LRP is not a Neon friendly track (and it was very unfriendly for Saturns last weekend!! :bash_1_: ) but you were pedaling pretty good!! I think a bunch of well developed Neons will be great for ITA!!

It wasn't the off pace ITA cars I had the problems with, it was the GTL, Prod and a certain ITR (the start and the last two laps) car that really made things difficult for me!!

Again, nice job!!
Hope to see you out there next year!

GregM
10-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks Jeff. Its been a struggle to get the car in the right direction.

You wouldn't have wanted to drive our car last weekend. It beat me up pretty good.

The traffic out there was very interesting. I got caught up in it with those two Prod. cars that were way way off the pace and irratic with their letting people on by. IT guys were great.

There were some interesting speed differentials in the ITA cars.....................................

Can't wait to get it out there next year.