PDA

View Full Version : New idea for removing under coating

RonInSD
05-02-2007, 10:32 PM
I have been helping a friend clean up a '65 Mustang and I found this link while searching for information on the Eastwood under coating removal kit.

http://www.svend.net/mustang/ww73/ww73.html

We found the Peel Away product at the local Lowes store. (The local HD and Menards did not have it.) Lowes had it in a quart for $15 and the sheet for $3. Based on what we used for two wheel wells you may be able to do all 4 wheel wells on a small car with a quart and pack of sheets.

We did most of the work outside. We started power washing the wheel wells letting that dry over night. We then painted the peel away on. Put the paper on and rolled it out with a old small paint roller. We then let it set for 48 hours.

We then rolled the car back out side and scrapped a lot of the under coating off with a putty knife. We followed up with another power washing. Dried it with a heat gun then followed up with a cone shaped wire wheel on a 4" grinder. Blew out the well wells with air gun to clean out the small pieces of under coating. Then we did a quick primer job to keep it from flash rusting.

All of this with out any toxic smells. It did take some work but not as much as other options I have read about. Some of those options could kill a person.

I still say paying someone blast the car is the best and easiest option but if you want to do it your self this is a close second.

mbuskuhl
05-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Wow! Very nice write up and end result. You&#39;ve added something to my future to do list... but wait, I&#39;m already under weight and with lots of ballast <_<

gran racing
05-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Awesome write up. Looks like a pretty cool product.

RSTPerformance
05-03-2007, 09:24 AM
thanks for the info :023:

Raymond "You can learn great stuff on ImprovedTouring.com" Blethen

924Guy
05-03-2007, 09:58 AM
WOW... awesome product, great write-up.

But I&#39;d never let anyone into my garage while I&#39;m doing this, out of shame... looks like he&#39;s giving his car a bikini wax! :D :blink:

seckerich
05-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Another product I found to be good for undercoating removal is Citri- strip. It is in an orange bottle and Home Depot has it. $20 or so for a good sized container. No fumes and smells like an orange and it stays active for 24 hours. It is more of a gel so I paint it on and remove it the next day with a plastic putty knife. Wash it down with a brush and rust inhibiting soap and you are done. Also cuts right through the rubber stone guard and seam sealer turns to mush.

Lael Cleland
05-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks Ron!! i will have to tyr this!!

keycom
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks Ron!! i will have to tyr this!!
[/b]

Yeh, me to, AFTER I&#39;ve already wire-ground for 24-30 hours! :bash_1_:

Where were you two months ago? :014:

But thanks for postings this anyway. :OLA:

Rabbit05
06-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Wow !

And we are in the process of removing all the undercoating and stuff...what a pain in the A$$ ! I am defintaly going to try this out ! Thank you much for sharing !!! We were trying the old torch and scrape method and that is the worst ! :bash_1_: I am so glad there is an alternative to that method !!

I am one gratefull racer I looked at this thread !!

John VanDenburgh
VanDenburgh Motorsports
ITB VW #05

Speed Raycer
06-04-2007, 06:29 PM
I&#39;ll hold off judgement until I see what it does on late model undercoating or some of the more rubbery stuff like BMW seems to use.

I might try it out as I like stuff that works on its own... allows me to get more stuff done in the mean time!

mlytle
06-04-2007, 08:11 PM
I&#39;ll hold off judgement until I see what it does on late model undercoating or some of the more rubbery stuff like BMW seems to use.

I might try it out as I like stuff that works on its own... allows me to get more stuff done in the mean time!
[/b]

i just tried the citristip on my e36 bmw. not good. i was pulling the rear subframe out and thought...whil it is out...... the stripper got throug the outerlayer a little, but the rubbery bondo like layer underneath that kind of laughed at it. i did three applications of the stuff before i gave up.

Speed Raycer
06-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah... that BMW stuff had to have come out of Area 51. Makes 40 year old FoMoCo undercoating look like masking tape.

JLawton
06-05-2007, 05:03 PM
How much weight can you actually lose by taking off all the undercoating. I know it would be specific to each car, but a range?