PDA

View Full Version : 3 AN hose with 6 AN connectors?

DavidM
05-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I have a steel braided hose that goes from my power steering pump to the rack that has rubbed through and is leaking. I'm pretty sure it's 3 AN hose, but when I took it off the connectors are 6 AN. I'm kinda scratching my head as I was thinking the connectors would be the same size as the hose. Anybody ever seen connectors that go from one hose size to a different size connector? I was going to order a pre-built hose from Pegasus as assembling the steel connectors (I have a tool to do aluminum ones) looks like a major pain, but I'm not sure if I can order a 3 AN hose with 6 AN connectors. I don't see a connector like that on their site.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

David

Joe Harlan
05-02-2007, 09:19 PM
David, I have seen -4 end for -3 hose but not the other. Check Goodrich they tend to have weird stuff for motorcycles.

Joe

DavidM
05-02-2007, 10:46 PM
After further measuring it appears that the hose is some form of thin walled 6 AN. I have some "normal" 6 AN hose on hand that is used for hooking up the fuel cell. It has an inner diameter of about 8.5 mm and an outer diameter (including the steel braids) of 14 mm. The stuff being used for my power steering line has an inner diameter of a little over 7.5 mm, but an outer diameter of only 10 mm. I swear the hose is a mm or less thick. The hose wall is much thicker on my fuel line hose, but the inner diameters are pretty close on both hoses.

Having said that, I've looked through my Pegasus, Summit, and HRP catalogs and can't find any hose with measurements that match my power steering hose. Pegasus only offers the teflon hose in 3 AN and 4 AN sizes so I can't get a pre-built one from them (I may call and see if they carry the 6 AN). HRP has 6 AN teflon hose (that has a larger outer diameter), but I'll have to put it together myself. How much of a pain is it to put the steel connectors on the teflon hose? There's also some specialized power steering hose that a couple places carry that I may look into. Anybody every used those?

David

joeg
05-03-2007, 07:10 AM
David--Go to a local Hydraulics supplier. They will create the correct hose for you from your old one.

Check the yellow pages under Hydraulics or even "Aeroquip.