PDA

View Full Version : Tire Choice (size and brand)

TurboCGT
05-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I am looking to buy some new tires this week and was curious what input people on here might have. My car is an ITB Audi Coupe GT. I am currently running 225-50-15 Kuhmo V710s, but they seem a bit tall for my car as the stock is 185-55-14 I believe. I was thinking of going with the Hankook Z214s because they seem like a pretty good deal and money is tight as I just built my car this past winter. I was looking at both the 225-45-15s and 205-50-15s, both of which would be run on a 6 inch wide wheel. Is there any advantage to going with a 225 on such a narrow wheel? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Jared Hourihan

sirchadd
05-27-2007, 09:07 AM
I don't run an audi, but I use to own a quattro 4000 cs, great car. I run Hoosier 225/45/15 on my IT car, now if I run Daytona and or Charlotte I run a 225/50/15 this changes my gear ratio with the taller tire for the back straights. by doing this it is like dropping the rear end ratio closer to 4:88 from 5:12, I run Toyo's in the rain as I have had good luck with them, but I would choose a tire that isn't going to throw your gear ratios off track. I run different sizes for different tracks but the brand I run is mostly Hoosier and only run a different brand if contegency applies.\\Chadd

jlinfert
05-30-2007, 08:35 AM
I run 225 45/13 Hoosiers on 5.5 and 6 inch rims on my ITC Scirroco. Works fine and the car has superb grip.

mattbatson
05-30-2007, 01:53 PM
I hear ya on money being tight in this game....

I run the toyo's and would recommend them if looking for a good tire, if not the fastest tire, that lasts a long time and is pretty resistant to flat spotting.

My first set of tires (which was only a year ago) were the kumho victoracers, and my experience with these was really good. They lasted a long time (two drivers schools and 4 races), but will never be as fast as hoosiers...

I've never run hoosiers, but figured I would wait until I was within a second of the fast guys before making the switch....damn are they expensive...