PDA

View Full Version : Gateway August race, need your input!

sburkett
05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
A simple question, what can we do to make sure you attend our August 11-12 race?

I am looking for creative ideas to boost driver counts, particularly in SM and IT. We are looking at everything from party ideas to cash contingencies.

Especially any of you who are on the fence, what can we do to get you out?

Please discuss here or e-mail me directly with your suggestions - [email protected]

tnord
05-01-2007, 12:05 PM
i don't know how much you can do steve.

entry fee's have gotten too high.
it's the most dangerous track in the division.
there's too many friggin races in this division. why would I haul all the way out to St Louis for 4hrs and spend an extra $100 on towing fuel when i can wait a week or two and go somewhere close to home?

i can't imagine a motivator that would make me bring my car out for this race. if there's a way to get me out, it's likely going to be based on personal situation and schedule.

every region is struggling with entries and maybe will now finally realize that some regions just might have to cut a race from their schedule next year. :026:

BlueStreak
05-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Move it to late October :D I hate racing in August, call me a wuss, but I don't take the heat well. I tend to be a cool weather racer (tough when you live in SEDIV).

Seriously, coming from north alabama, if I get to race that weekend I'll probably go to the IT Festival at MO. Not at all a knock on the St.Louis facility or organization, I just would rather run as many different tracks in a season as possible. I have never run the same venue twice in one year, and until I'm rich enough to run all the time, I probably never will.

I was there for the IRS race because your entry fee was $95 less than the sediv event at Roebling that is a 30 mile longer tow for me.

BTW - I was extremely impressed with the IRS event in terms of organization. I'll likely return next April.

Gary L
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
A simple question, what can we do to make sure you attend our August 11-12 race?

I am looking for creative ideas to boost driver counts, particularly in SM and IT. We are looking at everything from party ideas to cash contingencies.
[/b]That's easy... convince my wife she needs to take the entire day off from work on the 10th, then pay my gasoline bill for towing (prolly about $275 round trip from OKC). The latter may be easier than the former. :D

Speed Raycer
05-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I brought it up to the CRC for the October Race a couple of months ago but maybe an Enduro?
Could the track be run safely clockwise???
Guaranteed Practice, Qualifying & Race sessions?
STL Sponsored T&T that charges per car instead of per driver so that the hot shoes can tell you how f'd up your setup is???
Slow Pokes race? Everyone outside of the Top 3 in each IT class get an extra IT race. The top 3's get the points, the rest of the field gets an extra 15 lapper at the end of the day. (Prokopf is gonna hate me for that one if it happens :D )

SLUF
05-01-2007, 05:14 PM
For those of us that don't travel or do a minimum out of town schedule:

1. More track time would be nice in the form of practice, qualifying, and race.
2. A main and B main IT races like the circle track guys to expand on what Mr. Izzy is thinking. This would seem to go along with a little more track time.
3. Enduro, count me in! Scott Aerospace Technologies would even throw in at least 500 bucks to a prize fund. Maybe some of the entry fee going back into this too. I remember how excited I was to win a national solo tour event and get a $200 check from Yokohama even though the tires cost $700.
4. Evening/night race? Maybe along with the enduro idea?
5. Special IT race at the end of day one with 2 lap qualifying (pit out and one flying lap) immediately before the race?

Just some thoughts.

BlueStreak
05-01-2007, 05:26 PM
For those of us that don't travel or do a minimum out of town schedule:

1. More track time would be nice in the form of practice, qualifying, and race.
2. A main and B main IT races like the circle track guys to expand on what Mr. Izzy is thinking. This would seem to go along with a little more track time.
3. Enduro, count me in! Scott Aerospace Technologies would even throw in at least 500 bucks to a prize fund. Maybe some of the entry fee going back into this too. I remember how excited I was to win a national solo tour event and get a $200 check from Yokohama even though the tires cost $700.
4. Evening/night race? Maybe along with the enduro idea?
5. Special IT race at the end of day one with 2 lap qualifying (pit out and one flying lap) immediately before the race?

Just some thoughts.
[/b]

I like all of those, but 4 :026: and 5 :eclipsee_steering: done together might force me into another trip to St.Louis this year, that would be way cool. And the night thing would bring down the temps a bit, very appealing.

Drew Aldred
05-01-2007, 05:56 PM
And the night thing would bring down the temps a bit, very appealing.
[/b]

Reminds me of a recent comment I made when someone asked what date the August race is run. My reply "Whatever the hottest weekend of the summer is, that's it !!"

Having said that, I think I've been to the last 4 August races in a row. Great region that runs an event well. The night race would be cool to see. :birra:

trd77
05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I ran the night race a few years back. I was fun to do and it did help with the high temps. If they were to have a mini enduro race, like a 1hr -3hr race maybe running at night or into the night, I would be very interested in that. I still think it comes down to what every region faces...The high cost of entries and conflicts in the schedual. A cheaper entry compared to other events might help offset the high fuel cost for traveling.

brprok81
05-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Slow Pokes race? Everyone outside of the Top 3 in each IT class get an extra IT race. The top 3's get the points, the rest of the field gets an extra 15 lapper at the end of the day. (Prokopf is gonna hate me for that one if it happens :D )
[/b]

So now that you are leaving me in T&S you are going to sit at home and figure out how to make my job as difficult as possilbe? :wacko:

Seriously, I like a lot of these ideas. The biggest problem I see is running a regional/national/IT tour plus another session without killing the workers. I do not know too many workers who want to stand on a corner for 12 hours.

sburkett
05-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the input so far, keep it coming.

This is NOT A DONE DEAL but one idea we are pursuing is a IT/SM "Bonus Race" on Saturday at the end of the day.

We're still working out the details, but I think grid would be based on the regional race results. I'd like to use some sort of indexing scheme to determine an "overall winner" and if we can come up with a way to do this there would be a sponsored cash contingency for the winner.

As Bryon said the biggest concern is killing our workers. We are working on how to either shorten the day overall or otherwise make it worth the extra effort.

Other thoughts on that idea?

BlueStreak
05-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Thinking out loud, I may have to duck, but how about issuing each worker a coupon equal to 50% off of a St.Louis Region club racing weekend. $275 / 2 = $137.50. This would encourage more drivers to work, and workers who don't drive could sell their coupons to drivers. Or some variation therein........

Did I just stir the "workers are volunteers" pot?

I'm ducking.

Speed Raycer
05-02-2007, 06:35 PM
^^^^ or allow any IT/SM driver who works an entry into the bonus race. All of the SM guys should love it... they never have to do anything but check the oil anyway... oh and change out diffs :D

That sounds like a logistical nightmare though, and really wouldn't give the dedicated workers much of a break as they'd have to teach a bunch of newbs

bldn10
05-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Have all drivers put their keys in a hat and draw a car to drive in a special all-class race! :D

sburkett
05-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Bonus race is a go!

Australian pursuit format. Bonus race at the end of the day Saturday, open to SM and IT, standing start from the end of the grid, handicapped release time based on qualifying times from the Saturday regionals.

In theory, everyone should cross the finish line at the same time. :D

Tuxedo Park Racing is putting up $200 cash money to the overall winner. All workers will draw a driver name from a hat at registration, and the workers whose "horse" wins will also receive a special prize to be announced shortly, plus embroidered hats for the winning driver and workers.

More details to come... We are seeking sponsers for the worker prize, e-mail me if interested ([email protected])

Steven

--------------------
www.tuxedoparkracing.com

Speed Raycer
05-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Well, you've gained one entry! The wife gave the green flag even though she'll be w/i a month of #2 kid!

How many laps?

SLUF
05-08-2007, 02:59 PM
VERY COOL! I can see the ITE/ITR group sandbagging early in the day already! I am in for sure. I'll contact you about worker sponsorship.

buldogge
05-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey Steven... I'm in as well.

I (Iron Age that is) would be happy to provide a gift certificate fot the worker's prize as well.

sburkett
05-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks Mark and Bud! This is going to be a lot of fun.

I'll post official rules later this week. Meanwhile keep those ideas coming.

Steven

BudMan
05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Bonus race is a go!

Australian pursuit format. Bonus race at the end of the day Saturday, open to SM and IT, standing start from the end of the grid, handicapped release time based on qualifying times from the Saturday regionals.

In theory, everyone should cross the finish line at the same time. :D

Tuxedo Park Racing is putting up $200 cash money to the overall winner. All workers will draw a driver name from a hat at registration, and the workers whose "horse" wins will also receive a special prize to be announced shortly, plus embroidered hats for the winning driver and workers.

More details to come... We are seeking sponsers for the worker prize, e-mail me if interested ([email protected])

[/b]

Ok, I'm listening...I want to do something since July is the last HPT event & I can't travel very far....hmmmm, the weekend after my national sales conference. Sounds like a great opportunity to blow off some steam!

tnord
05-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Question;

How many cars can be crashed simultaneously in the oval?

Speed Raycer
05-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Travis, you're assuming that they'd all make it through 7 on the last lap

SLUF
05-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Stay tuned guys-n-gals! I bet there are some more interesting facets to this.

anrkii
05-10-2007, 02:53 AM
I should be there, as long as I have my POS patched up by then.

I second the night race idea, I would love that.