PDA

View Full Version : 944 side exhaust

Team SSR
05-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Anyone running side exhaust on a 944? I'd like to run the exhaust down the center tunnel, then use a 45 bend to exit in front of the rear wheel. I have a round muffler that will fit in the tunnel that I am hoping will let me pass the dba requirement. I am also concerned about ground clearance where the exhaust runs under the floorboard. Even with oval tubing this looks like it may be an issue. As I am still putting the suspension back on the car it is a little hard to check.

924Guy
05-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Agreed - I'd be very concerned about clearance, hopping curbs and whatnot.

Running out the back is also very nice and quite, relatively. Furthermore, if you run out the back... it's a whole lot easier to swivel the exhaust to the other side to deal with a need to get quieter!

Not sure what center tunnel muffler you have in mind, but I have a tough time making sound with only one Dynomax race bullet muffler at even a normal track (home track is Waterford Hills, where I need 3 to get the job done). Also note that if you run the exhaust out back as per stock - you can fit a huge oval muffler very easily in the stock location.

Team SSR
05-02-2007, 09:58 AM
It's usually easier to make sound with the exhaust exiting the right than the rear (assuming they are checking from driver's left side of track).

I may be able to do 90 bend after the floorpan and before the torsion bar to help with clearance.

Trying to thrash everything together for VIR SARRC/SARRC, if not then it will have to be CMP Memorial weekend.

latebrake
05-04-2007, 05:58 PM
fLAT EXHAUST WILL WORK. just like the nascar boys do . called a thunder box i think. its only about 1 1/2 inches high and 12 long. make sure you take care for the fuel and break lines.

you can take the round exhaust after the muffler all the way back to the t tube housing and end cap it there. them just make the flat exhaust off the round tubing 5 or 6 inches forward of the end cap. gives the engine a strong return pulse without building up to much back pressure. if its to loud you can close some of it off with pre-made blanks. if i could draw here it would be nice but i cant do that sort of thing. makes dyno tuning fast too. just blank it off until you get what you want. it wont scrape unless you go off track and them it fair game for all the car let alone the exhaust. fire on the grass is always a concern.

Lawrence

JimLill
05-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Boom Tube..........

see www.drgas.com

Team SSR
05-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I called Boyce. They sent me to BSR and I got a Boyce Boom tube and adpater and an elbow. I'm not finished with the wiring yet so I couldn't start the engine. I have no idea how loud it is. There is a muffled Boom tube version available for those interested.

moliver
05-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Can you snap a picture from below?

Ballpark price?

Looks great!

Team SSR
05-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks!

The 45 mandrel bend, the Boom Tube and adpater were $155 from BSR Products in Concord, NC. They have pictures and pricing on their website. There are several Boom Tubes to choose from. Most of them are 36" lond as delivered. The boom tube comes tack welded and needs to be welded the length of the tube.

I already had the round muffler and a local muffler shop did the custom bend and flare for the header for FREE :)

I called Boyce directly for information. They were very helpful.

Andy Bettencourt
06-05-2007, 11:00 PM
This looks like it could be gorgeous. Good luck!

JimLill
07-06-2007, 01:56 PM
a right exit flat exhaust with muffler made from Dr. Gas parts

http://www.vectorbd.com/am-rennsport/2007Prep/slides/DSC_0740.JPG