PDA

View Full Version : Run group change coming

Cobrar05
05-01-2007, 05:36 AM
With the stock car group along with GT1's running on slicks and significantly faster than the cars on DOT's, there is talk that the DOT tire cars like the AS and T1 will be moved to the run group with the ITS cars that are running similar times.

Makes sense to me. Anyone think its a bad idea?

Chris Wire
05-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Daytona, Sebring (long), VIR, Homestead, Road Atlanta likely no problem.

Sebring (short), Roebling, Moroso and others where cornering speed is crucial, it will give other drivers fits.

Having driven both IT and AS, I can tell you that the cars are worlds apart in the way they are driven. And it appears that the AS cars (Mustangs, specifically) have gotten fatter since I ran mine, which exascerbates the problem.

I don't think there is a problem from a safety stand point. I simply hope that there is ample give and take on the track. AS and T1 are used to getting passed by the faster GT cars; I hope that ego doesn't take over when getting passed by an ITS car or ITA Miata. Straightaways are no contest, but it will put a higher premium on late-braking and watching mirrors on corner entry.

I can live with it.

Krysd
05-01-2007, 01:02 PM
The AS cars did a decent job at RR, much better than most of the big bore cars, it was pretty much a case of survival out there with multiple passes under the yellow and automobile carnage on nearly every corner, I got pushed off track by an SPO car, hit the windhield of a GP car that spun in front of me and breathed a sigh of relief at every checker flag, but the AS guys did an excellent job of watching their mirrors, if they come run with IT, they will be a good addition to your group.

Krys Dean

Butch Kummer
05-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Rob,

Although we will certainly look at the mix for future events, I'm not sure that moving the DOT-tired cars out of Group 5 at Roebling would accomplish what you want. Looking at Saturday's participation numbers, there were already 45 cars in the "Big" IT group (Group 6) and "only" 43 in the Ground-Pounders (Group 5). Move the DOT cars out and you've now got an oversubscribed Group 6 (the limit for Roebling is 50 cars). And do you move BP since it's a DOT tire class? If so you now have a car running 1:16's in with cars running 1:29's. But since they're both in the same class (BP), there's not much you can do about that!

We've already posted the Supps for our June 2-3 weekend at Road Atlanta so we can't change the group assignments for that event. I WILL, however, go back to past event participation when writing up the Supps for the July and Labor Day events.

As the number of stock cars continues to increase such a move will undoubtedly happen, but at RRR this past weekend it simply wouldn't have worked from a numbers standpoint.

Butch Kummer
Atlanta Region Competition Director

Cobrar05
05-03-2007, 01:35 AM
You could be right. that was my first experience and perhaps I have A LOT to learn.

By the way...here is a link to my in car video of that windshield issue.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4HSMmB7St7c