PDA

View Full Version : 5MGE Overhaul - ITS Version

fomad
04-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm going to be purchasing a 5MGE in the near future, I intend to go over it before installing into that car that I am preparing my '85 Supra for an ITS run in 2008. I've found one for $550 with a 90 day warranty that only has 115K on it. It is supposed to have been tested and will come with the test results on paper. I need to determine a reasonable course of action:

At what point would one overhaul the engine?
Is it easier to pull the engine with the tranny attached or in one piece?
Once removed, what are some of the things to get done within the engine well?
Once removed, what should one have done to the tranny?

Haven't got my Novice License yet, what should I do regarding a log book?

Regards,

Larry W.

jhooten
04-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Make sure it is out of an 85 or it won't have the Knock sensor mounting hole.

Service the injectors.

Remove the engine and trans as one. It is almost impossible to get the top two bolts out when they are in the car anyway.

Save yourself some grief and rebuild it now, before you put it in the car the first time. 115k may be ok for a street 5mge but not for what you are going to do to it. Trust me on this one. (And if you have doubts ask Chief inspector Ty why you should trust me.)

SERVICE THE INJECTORS!

Clean the engine bay and paint it white. You will need to see the color of the leaking fluid. Yes you will have leaks. No you can't prevent them.

Drain the trans and look for metal bits and pieces. If there are no bigs chunks flush the unit and fill with good gear oil. It is easier to fill with the trans in the car through the shifter. Slowly pour until there is a trickle out the fill plug, put the plug in and reinstall the shifter. Surface the fly wheel and pressure plate replace the clutch disk if needed.

Drain and flush the diff. Put in a good gear oil then go the the Chevrolet parts counter and buy GM part number 1052358. It is a 4 oz bottle of "Limited slip Axle Lubricant Additive". Add it to the new rear end lube or you will not have a working LSD. Again trust me on this one. Changing the diff is not fun and less so when you find out you didn't need to.

Log book will be issued when you finish the car and take it for its first annual tech inspection.

Welcome to the world of orphans.

lateapex911
05-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Clean the engine bay and paint it white. You will need to see the color of the leaking fluid. Yes you will have leaks. No you can't prevent them.

. [/b]

And it's probably obvious, but I've seen too many people paint things in flat paint...use gloss...otherwise it will be a mess instantly...defeating the purpose. Gloss white, gloss grey, or silver wok well. Gloss amber colors don't, they match the leaking fluids, LOL.

x-ring
05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Save yourself some grief and rebuild it now, before you put it in the car the first time. 115k may be ok for a street 5mge but not for what you are going to do to it. Trust me on this one. (And if you have doubts ask Chief inspector Ty why you should trust me.)
[/b]

I'd listen to Jerry on this one. He's had some unfortunate experiences.

A rebuild may seem expensive up front, but adding the extra $700 or so in entry fees, fuel, hotel, etc., wasted when you loose the engine during Saturday morning practice just makes it worse. In fact, I just went down this road myself. The shop owner who worked on the car last says he'll cover the cost of the rebuild, but the $700 hole in my wallet for the other expenses for the weekend isn't going to get filled anytime soon.

Best of luck.