PDA

View Full Version : exhaust opinions

rudevr6
04-30-2007, 10:02 AM
i had some questions about exhausts for the FSP/IT 1.8 scirocco i'm building. i 'm needing to do this on the cheap, so i planned on running it out the side using 2 1/2 in. tubing and a dynamax bullet muffler. i already have a recycled pace setter header.

what kinds exhausts are you guys running, any opinions?

thanks in advance!

Lael Cleland
04-30-2007, 01:07 PM
I use a header(cheep) thats cut off at the collector and i welded 3 inch tubing, 2.5 ish foot long and the an 18 inch glass pack with a 45deg down spout cut off. I also us a stay bar that keeps the engine from rocking.
i like the glass pack cause it has rounded ends, that WONT get stuck on the trailer...... havent done any dyno test with this exaust, it was a fridaynight 11:00pm fix.... Point the exaust at the track, i think its quieter?

good luck

racer_tim
04-30-2007, 07:08 PM
I did the same thing, except that I use about 18" of that "flex" tubing, attached to a "cherry bomb" glass pack with a 45 degree down tube, right before the rear axle.

I don't car how much the motor "rocks" with the flex pipe. I broke a bunch of collectors when I had my first Scirocco, which turned out to be a "flexi flyer" chassis wise.

rudevr6
05-01-2007, 08:40 AM
thanks for the input,

i just needed to know that i was on the right track with the side out exhaust instead of using the over the axle exhaust (which cost more and not sure of performance gains over side out).

there were also doubts about back pressure, not sure how much that is a factor in HP gain.

Lael Cleland
05-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I belive no back pressure is good, because back pressure lets more exaust stay in the combustion chamber. it like an EGR, Exaust in the cyllinder make it run cooler... but spent exaust gasses wont burn, IE weaker explosion.

MY .02

Bildon
05-01-2007, 12:38 PM
3" is way too big.
2.5" may only work on an engine that is borderline legal.
2.25" is correct for ITB. You'll get ~8hp not including header gains.

Max power will be made by dumping out right before rear axle beam.
Max torque can be made by going over axle to rear.
Your ears & nerves will thank you for exiting behind car.

Dont take my word for it. Call Collin at Techtonics.

JimLill
05-01-2007, 12:40 PM
so how do you all interpret "away from the body".... does turn-down under the car really fulfill that?

JamesB
05-01-2007, 12:57 PM
thats what I see on almost every IT car out there unless they need to make it to the rear to quiet it down enough to stay under 103.

rudevr6
05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
my engine is completely stock so going with the 2.25 tubing may work better, as suggested, but i'm still gonna run it out the side and hope for the best!

msogren
05-01-2007, 08:47 PM
I use 2 in EMT tubing from Home depot race parts. The 90* are nice and smooth and it is cheap. I use chains to hold it up and run ity out the rear. The booming iinside the car with short pipes is nasty.
Wear earplugs, all the time. MM

rabbidmk1
05-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I run the Techtonics Race Header and full 2.25" exhaust. It has no resonators and one borla muffler, so it is one of the quieter IT cars on the track.

racer_tim
05-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I was also looking to reduce some weight, so that's why I just went with the simpliest, straight path I could build.

I've NEVER been hit for sound, and our 3 tracks, especially Laguna Seca can be really tough, with the damp foggy conditions. At least now, all 3 tracks have the sound meter on the same side of the track, so if you want to run it out the side, the drivers side is best, since the meters are all on drivers right now.

I don't like to wear ear plugs, since I want to HEAR what's going on with the engine, not only looking at the gauges, but also by how things sound.

JamesB
05-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Ear plugs make your exhaust hard to hear? not mine. I can actually hear things like suspension, and tires once I plug my ears from the exhaust noise.

Eric Parham
05-02-2007, 05:50 PM
All "earplugs" are not created equal. I use a pair of Norton musician's plugs (not sure if that's the correct term, but I bought them in a music store). Plugs like these attenuate only very loud sounds, but you can still hear a whisper or normal volume without any change.

EDIT: The plugs I'm talking about are rubber or silicone with a metal insert. They are reusable rather than disposable. The insert can be removed for cleaning of the plugs. Mine came in a blue plastic case. I bought two pairs many years ago, and all 4 still work perfectly.

keycom
05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Can I be reassured that a header going into a resonator using 2 1/4" pipe can be turned down at 45* just before the axle AND NOT have any problems going above 103?

Right now my setup also includes a Borla muffler after the axle. I wanna cut it off!

Thanks!

shwah
05-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Can I be reassured that a header going into a resonator using 2 1/4" pipe can be turned down at 45* just before the axle AND NOT have any problems going above 103?

Right now my setup also includes a Borla muffler after the axle. I wanna cut it off!

Thanks!
[/b]

That is what approximately half of the VW IT world runs. We don't have sound problems.

Eric Parham
05-08-2007, 03:32 PM
On the 1.7 8V C car, I just have a header to a 3' section of 2.25" straight pipe to a smooth 45 downturn below the fuel tank. No resonator or anything else. It's never been clocked above 96 dB, and usually about 94 IIRC. The earplugs are only needed on cold days to cut the booming inside the cockpit. Outside is always no problem.

Although the 1.8 16V A car didn't get finished (at least not yet), I thought the same setup would probably still be under 103 dB. Maybe it would need a resonator or light muffler after all, but I think it would at least be close without it.

JamesB
05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
My current mismash is whats left of the old exhaust built for running at a very strict sound track (Waterford Hills) I used to come in at 82db. The current setup gets rid of all the bends and kept the cherry bomb and I clocked in at 92. John is making me a new one thats just 2.25 with a 90 behind the driver to the ground, probably produce around 96-98 like the other 8v's I know.

msogren
05-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi All,
Does a 94 ABA exhaust manifold fit a A 8V?? It look like it might and I can get one for a fair price.
Otherwise, i have a 84 Rabbit engine with a twin down setup to trade for A2 stuff. I dint check the code but it is auto and they often have the best engine , go figure. Mike Ogren , 352/796/1985 work

shwah
05-10-2007, 09:03 AM
I know the downpipes are interchangeable A3 - A2 (and 8v-16v for that matter). Don't know about the mani. I have never had my hands on a cross flow head to see the port configuration.

Techtonics does show two different part numbers for the manifolds.

I think I have one or two dual outlet A2 manifolds somewhere. You can have one if I do.

msogren
05-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks,Chris , what parts are you looking for?? It is for the circle burner, those Mustangs are going down.
Please send it to. Protech, 1220 broad st, Masaryktown, FL. 34604. Thanks. I'll send you some cash in return for your time or , I stock a bunch of New stock for Mk 2 , and have plenty of body parts. yeah ,it 's legal here. Mike Ogren , 352/796/1985
Iknow that the A1 has the outlet in the center i, and it hits the motor mount on the A2. The ABA exhaust ports look the same as the 8V, but i dont know if the intake wil clear, etc. Vortex has a lot of info , but I cant find that tidbit.

shwah
05-10-2007, 01:49 PM
The ABA is a tall block, and if the same downpipe fits A3 and A2, that suggests that the ABA manifold is what accomodates the extra height. My guess is you could make it fit, but the exhuast will lay low.

I'll look at my parts tonight, and ship one out tomorrow if it is out there.

Lael Cleland
05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
I think the down pipe is diffrent between the aba and a 1.8. i have done lots of aba conversions and the down pipe is taller, also the cast aba mani will bolt on a 1.8 forsure, its the same as a 1.8 rare twin out let mani...done it more than once..
BUT the stamped steel Mani wont fit a 1.8.8v

We also just put a doubledown from an aba on a 90 jetta diesel, I dont know if it helped?
hope this helps

msogren
05-10-2007, 10:31 PM
That does help. The casting and spacing , looks the same(as A2), but it is in the car and will cost me cash to get it off and try it on my head. It looks cast. I have a 16v down pipe and it is for a track rat so that part is Ok, weld ,cut etc.
The tin manifold looks big around the exhaust ports and looks to hit the intake , on a old 8v head.
This car is about a 97 Jet or so and has a nice ABA and trans, if anyone needs some power stuff. The body got the forks thru the glass last week and is pretty beat. The whole powerplant/trans can be bought for maybe 600$. FL. I take my old shells across the street to this place and than shoot them with a shotgun and/or air rifle. Yea haa. Mike Ogren

shwah
05-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Sounds like you have what you need there. You still want me to dig out a manifold?

msogren
05-11-2007, 10:47 PM
I still need it. The ABA engine is a later 99 and has a stamped one and there are other issues . What is the price?? Thanks. MM

shwah
05-11-2007, 11:58 PM
I'll just send it and let you know what the shipping was.

shwah
05-14-2007, 10:15 PM
well shoot... it turns out that all the ones I have are 16v manifolds.

sorry bout that.

msogren
05-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks for looking. I'll keep checking the Bay. MM
FWIW I revalved the stock Jetta shox today. The ones that come out and drip oil allover. Turns out the restrictor valves come apart, and can be restacked. A little STP and type F trans oil and they are race stiff. I trim the compression by moving the slotted washer to the middle of the stack of three, and trim the rebound with oil viscosity.
They take about 12 oz of oil. I jst split the can of STP, and makeup the rest with Type f. Vw has the top seal.
At the rate the circle burners go thru shox and strut housings, I had a hard time going for the Bilsteins . We have to run stock springs and they just bang on the bottom stops.
Mike Ogren

Lael Cleland
05-15-2007, 01:56 PM
WOW you can do that? i have thrown so many of those shock away! thanks for the info!!

i have a mani sitting in the shop, shipping might suck, 20 bucks plus shipping sound good?

msogren
05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
That sounds real good. The addrss is Mike Ogren /Protech, 1220 Broad st. - US 41, Masaryktown, FL. 34604. Dont foreget to include a return address , and I send what ever the total is to you. Do you need any Mk 2 stuff? I have a bunch of stuff and two shells. Complete 85 GTI Golf, (virgin,) very little rust,
90 Jet, no power. Bits etc.
I threw out a bunch of these shocks, also. But when I worked for Peugoet, we would service these same style of shox, reoil and seal the thing back up. The compression valve is right on the end of the shock., It pops off, and the spring washers are captured by the clip. Just put the wave washer between the other flat washers.
Mercon is real soft, Type F is stiffer, and the STP brings it right up stiff.
I will post the part # for the shock seal, as soon as I get the updated one from parts VW dealer.
MM

Lael Cleland
05-16-2007, 07:28 PM
But what keeps the oil from over heating and foming?

msogren
05-17-2007, 10:21 PM
The strut is the oil resevoir. And the strut housing is air cooled.. I am sure that it does get hot and soften some. BTW the seals are NA from VW. My VW parts guy said that maybe Bilstein or Boge might have the seals .
The exhaust will complete most of my parts needs, thanks,
The Holley 350 carb came today, the 4spd trans should be here Fri, the manifold came from Bill, (thanks ), The cage came from John W. (thanks) The Total seal rings came tues. Mike has got the car stripped pretty clean, I have to make "crush boxes" for the cage feet and fit the cage and seat , put the engine together , build the exhaust, soften the rear axles' bushes, build a pan baffle and splash restrictor...
MM

msogren
05-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Lael, Could you email me with your address and I'll send you some cash. I am down to the exhaust manifold to match to the head. All of the other parts are here. Thanks, Mike Ogren , FL. 352/796/1985 shop .
PS
[email protected] It seems to be working again. MM

msogren
06-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Lael, Cleland, could you PM me, or call me with status,. Thanks, MM