PDA

View Full Version : Racer Tape

robits325is
04-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I was just thinking about our upcoming event at Pocono and I remember hearing some discussion about strategically locating pieces of racer tape on the front of a car to reduce drag. What is the rule for taping the front (sides) of a car?

I want to see what 150mph feels like.....

JoshS
04-25-2007, 11:29 PM
I don't think that's legal, because it doesn't say you can. You explicitly cannot in Prepared and Touring, but there's no mention in the IT rules.

Have fun :-)

Z3_GoCar
04-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Josh,

9.1.4.7, I believe, allows for grill taping for prepared... However; BMW's don't have the huge over the bumper grills that taping covers up.

James

gran racing
04-26-2007, 08:18 AM
This is an interesting question. I've often wondered this when I see people taping their hood pins as well.

Doc Bro
04-26-2007, 08:20 AM
With respect to my fellow Z3'ers. Rob I would definitely tape the brake ducts. No where in the GCR does it say that brake ducts are required so therefore taping them should be moot. I would also tape the hood pins down.

R

gran racing
04-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Why have hood pins then if you're going to tape them down? I'm actually curious and am not trying to be a complete jerk. LOL

Doc Bro
04-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Great question, I had one come up at the runoffs last year and it freaked me out. I could see the hood dancing up and down and I thought I was going to get a lap full of glass (again). This year we went back to the stock hood latches with the safety...problem solved.

R

Andy Bettencourt
04-26-2007, 08:52 AM
I don't think it's a stretch to say that the only thing you can legally tape are the lights.

Rob B.,

If the brake duct holes already existed before you put the ducts in, that doesn't mean you can then cover them. So, if you 'fill' your holes with plugged brake ducts, you are really torturing the rule.

http://www.the16v.com/SCCA/07/042207_nhis/images/DSC_5012.jpg

Those look like stock holes to me...I think Rob knows the answer to this. :birra:

JamesB
04-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Race tape is great at covering up rather small bolt sized chunks of your windshield missing too. I have a feeling I need to replace that this year.

lateapex911
04-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Yea, taping is a no no. But mirrors are free, and I'd read the section about window vents too.

Speed Raycer
04-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Hmmmm... Duct tape air dam anyone? ;)

Z3_GoCar
04-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Yea, taping is a no no. But mirrors are free, and I'd read the section about window vents too.
[/b]

Great idea Jake, use racer tape to tape mirrors in the brake ducts, problem solved :P

James

JLawton
04-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Why have hood pins then if you're going to tape them down? I'm actually curious and am not trying to be a complete jerk. LOL
[/b]

I guess I'm way off. I thought they were taping the hood pins for better aerodynamics!! :blink:

Doc Bro
04-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh yea, forgot about them being in an already existing hole. OOppps

R

gran racing
04-26-2007, 12:43 PM
I thought they were taping the hood pins for better aerodynamics!! [/b]

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. That is what I thought, but that goes against what is legal from what I understand. If one were to argue it is legal, could you tape the gap between the fenders and hood?

Back to my original question, if it is for aero then why bother put them on the car?

Silly question - what is the purpose of hood pins? They are for ease of getting to the engine in the paddock and if positioned right, in an on-track situation, no? I've seen some of the taping jobs on the hood pins and they would not be very easy to take off in an emergency situation. I suppose it would be easier than trying to locate the release inside the car, but could make arguments otherwise since the driver would have access to that.

RacerBill
04-26-2007, 03:24 PM
So, I have a small nylon strap that is needed to raise my hood after I pull off the hood pins. Am I reading this right that it's a no-no to put a small piece of tape on the strap (which is red, against a silver background) so the corner crews don't think I have something loose and black flag me?

Andy Bettencourt
04-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Bill,

I think the point here is that people don't want competitors using tape to increase the aerodynamics of their cars. Is taping of hood pins legal? Who knows - who cares. HP's are there as safety equipment and taping them AT BEST gets you back to square one. Would I? No, but nobody really cares.

Now taping seams and plugging holes are a seperate issue. Driscoll knows the rules, he is just stirring the pot.

gran racing
04-26-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm with Andy regarding taping the hood pins and other areas. When people start taping seems, that's different. Nevertheless, it made me curious why people bother to install hood pins if they are to later tape them up for aero reaons.

JLawton
04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. [/b]

Nope, no sarcasm!

RSTPerformance
04-26-2007, 06:15 PM
My brother tapes his hoodpins because they have come loose before in him. I do not tape my hood pins as they do not come loose, and they are the more expensive ones that are in the tracks and can not come out/off. I don't think he has gained an erodynamic advantage by having them taped...

Raymond "He did get the ITB track record by over a second at Pocono (even over me), maybe thats the reason!!! lol" Blethen

Z3_GoCar
04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
If getting rid of the large brake ducts in your bumper cover is your goal, maybe you need to do a little research. I'm pretty sure that the bumper cover on e-46's changed a couple of times. Maybe a post '00 bumper cover (that is if the 00-03 cars are on the same spec line) wouldn't have those holes. My wifes '02 330 only has little round fog lights with no brake duct.

Knowledge is power...

Knowledge of your race car is More Power!

James

Andy Bettencourt
04-26-2007, 10:00 PM
If that knowledge is useful!

The E46 323's in ITS are really the 99-00 years. I am pretty sure there was no E46 323 in 1998, I could be wrong as they intermingled E36's and E46's a could years during transition. There does look to be a couple. The ones Rob and Jeff are running:

http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/9b/2d/2d31_12.JPG

And another version from the 00 Coupe:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/98/34/631c_12.JPG

I would venture to guess they have the more aero-friendly version now.

biovic
04-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Q: Why hood pins? Why tape?
A: In use hood pins as a safety measure in case of a hard front hit possibly causing the stock center latch to release (probably most likely in a corner or off-center hit). The safety increase is that there are 2 bolts, one on each side.
A:In the past I have used racer tape to tape down my hood pins. Not for aero advantage, but because the pins did not secure too well on the post after a couple seasons, even after trying new ones and a couple styles. I have a different style pin now, and it holds the hood tight and I'm confident that they will not come off the post while racing, so no tape needed. However, a couple years ago one pin did squirm loose while qualifying, luckily only on one side.

Victor

iambhooper
05-01-2007, 07:10 AM
The Honda runs cool enough that depending on the ambient temperature, I sometimes have to tape up the grill some to get heat in the motor. I don't see this helping or hurting the aerodynamics much on an ITC car.

So, where is the best place to purchase Brake duct mirrors? Any tips on installation and use? :P

Greg Amy
05-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Hey, Hoop, I don't see where that's legal (in fact, covering up the grill area is specifically mentioned in the airdam rules). However, since the RADIATOR is free, you can apply the tape - or some type of block-off plate - directly to that.

The difference? The former improves aerodynamics, regardless how minimal it may be; the latter does not. Both accomplish your same stated goal.

Yeah, you're "only" ITC, but...