PDA

View Full Version : SportsCar May 2007

mbuskuhl
04-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I must have gotten mine too early.... anyone else read page 6?

ddewhurst
04-25-2007, 08:09 AM
***anyone else read page 6?***

Published by Haymarket.............

tnord
04-25-2007, 08:58 AM
how about the screw up of The Legend KenT Prather's name 900 times in the Volunteer of the Year article?

keycom
04-25-2007, 09:33 AM
I must have gotten mine too early.... anyone else read page 6?
[/b]

Is that the ad for the Speed Channel program to air on April 21st? Just got my issue yesterday. :D

Or the editorial about MyScca.com, which indicates that the site is ready for us to use, but loads up saying "Coming Soon". :bash_1_:

charrbq
04-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Without pointing fingers, even though it's not published by the SCCA, the strange appearance of SportsCar magazine is pretty much a reflection of the current state of leadership in the national office.

RSTPerformance
04-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't have my copy of sportscar yet but is myscca.com going to be http://ams.scca.com/netforum/eweb/DynamicP...e=LoginRequired (http://ams.scca.com/netforum/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?WebCode=LoginRequired) ???

Very cool feature on the website!!!

Raymond

mengelke
04-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Quote: "Without pointing fingers, even though it's not published by the SCCA, the strange appearance of SportsCar magazine is pretty much a reflection of the current state of leadership in the national office."

What is that comment supposed to mean???????

JamesB
04-25-2007, 12:43 PM
It means the black helicopters and tinted out SUV's are on their way to get you!!!!

keycom
04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
http://www.myscca.com/community/home.do

A place to create your own "webspace" complete with uploaded pics, blogs, etc.

AntonioGG
04-25-2007, 11:56 PM
On the last Sporstcar, after noticing how one issue doesn't even last me er...one..."sitting", I counted how many pages of meaty stuff are in it. For a club racer like me, I'm talking about 2-3 regular columns and maybe a feature article. The regular columns...include Randy Pobst's column, the featured driver, the featured worker...maybe the young driver feature. Yep, the rest of them I don't even bother to read anymore. Then there's the featured article...sometimes (Like the Ghost tracks, etc.). Formula car buying guide...is that really needed? I have no clue...maybe those companies don't market any other way? New car tests, new products, pro racing, blah. Gimme Grassroots Motorsports any day. Take the good stuff from Sportscar (including some stuff for auto-x guys which I don't read) and publish it in Grassroots and save the $600k/year minus whatever it costs to buy 10 pages in GRM. Just my personal opinion... :cavallo:

Knestis
04-26-2007, 12:12 AM
With Fastrack online, I haven't read much of an issue of Sportscar in - quite literally - years.

K

gran racing
04-26-2007, 08:30 AM
With Fastrack online, I haven't read much of an issue of Sportscar in - quite literally - years.[/b]

I personally like receiving the magazine. Quite honestly, about the only way I remember to look at new Fastracks is because people post it here. Out of sight, out of mind. Maybe if it had a auto generated e-mail reminder?

Take the good stuff from Sportscar (including some stuff for auto-x guys which I don't read) and publish it in Grassroots and save the $600k/year minus whatever it costs to buy 10 pages in GRM.[/b]

One needs to fully understand the Haymarket / SCCA relationship (which I do not claim to) before coming to that conclusion. They also manage the SCCA’s website, which also has its pros and cons. In a previous thread, I thought someone indicated that the SCCA doesn’t pay to have Sportscar printed with this arrangement.

Greg Amy
04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Maybe if it had a auto generated e-mail reminder?[/b]
You've not been exploring the web site, have you? As part of your profile you can have them send you an email when Fastrack is posted.

What, you think the rest of us are checking the site daily...?

Andy Bettencourt
04-26-2007, 09:00 AM
I personally like receiving the magazine. Quite honestly, about the only way I remember to look at new Fastracks is because people post it here. Out of sight, out of mind. Maybe if it had a auto generated e-mail reminder?

[/b]

<div align="center">FasTrack E-MAIL NOTIFICATION</div>
SCCA members may register to receive an automated e-mail notification each month when the latest issue of FasTrack has been posted to the web. To register for e-mail notification, simply edit your Member Profile to request the notification. If you have not yet accessed your Member Profile, visit SCCA.com and log on by clicking the “SCCA Member Login” button at the top of any page or the “Member Login” button in the Members section of the left hand navigation bar.

http://www.scca.com/Garage/Index.asp?IdS=1...358C0&x=090|005 (http://www.scca.com/Garage/Index.asp?IdS=197D8B-7D358C0&x=090|005)&~=

lateapex911
04-26-2007, 10:14 AM
What, you think the rest of us are checking the site daily...?
[/b]

Of course not! I only check two or three times a day, but only between the 16th and 20th of the month!

Kidding....I&#39;ve been getting the informing email for a year or more.......

gran racing
04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
What, you think the rest of us are checking the site daily...? [/b]

Well, ummm.....

charrbq
04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Quote: "Without pointing fingers, even though it&#39;s not published by the SCCA, the strange appearance of SportsCar magazine is pretty much a reflection of the current state of leadership in the national office."

What is that comment supposed to mean???????
[/b]
Not as good as it used to be and far from as good as it needs. It&#39;s an opinion that I&#39;ve heard from many people (other than Mattberg!), and one that I&#39;ve seen to be true.

IPRESS
04-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Chris owes everybody a drink ........ he brought up THAT NAME! :D

AntonioGG
04-30-2007, 08:13 AM
They also manage the SCCA’s website, which also has its pros and cons. In a previous thread, I thought someone indicated that the SCCA doesn’t pay to have Sportscar printed with this arrangement.
[/b]
http://www.nitrodyno.com/pictures/2004-scca.GIF

Greg Amy
04-30-2007, 08:30 AM
So, we&#39;re each paying about $10 for SportsCar magazine (more if you consider some are family memberships). How &#39;bout we save that over-half-million dollars and instead go full web? (I&#39;m not interested in your "but some folks don&#39;t have Internet access" argument. Some folks couldn&#39;t read but that still didn&#39;t stop magazines and newspaper from becoming the old standard of info broadcasting...plus, there are plenty of public libraries that offer free access.)

Or, better yet, be really smart and team up with a existing magazine like Grassroots Motorsports and have them publish club-relevant info in the back....oops, too late...

itracer
04-30-2007, 11:22 AM
How &#39;bout we save that over-half-million dollars and instead go full web? [/b]

Website publishing is not free either. There would still be significant costs involved in creating the same content on a monthly basis.

JamesB
04-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Not only that, but what will I read in my office?

charrbq
04-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Chris owes everybody a drink ........ he brought up THAT NAME! :D
[/b]
Sorry, I should&#39;ve said, "Troll"! My bad! I&#39;m sure he got a blip on his screen in rehab. :dead_horse:

Bill Miller
05-02-2007, 06:59 AM
I honestly haven&#39;t missed it. One less thing to clutter up my mailbox.

gran racing
05-02-2007, 09:15 AM
One would need to see the entire ’04 return to even begin to evaluate the cost or profit, not just that one schedule. For that matter, it is really necessary to see multiple years returns. Even then, returns can be a bit misleading.

Some folks couldn&#39;t read but that still didn&#39;t stop magazines and newspaper from becoming the old standard of info broadcasting...plus, there are plenty of public libraries that offer free access.)[/b]

There are still many benefits to producing the publication in hard copy format. Sure, some magazines have attempted on line editions but if you look at the numbers the significant number of people prefer physical magazines.

http://www.hfmus.com/HachetteUSA/Page.asp?...age=Circulation (http://www.hfmus.com/HachetteUSA/Page.asp?Site=RoadTrack&Page=Circulation)

The common thing said by people is that we belong to the “Secret Car Club of America”. If people are not stumbling upon the SCCA website, why would they be drawn to the online magazine unless they already know about it? I thought the readers per copy statistic from Road & Track was interesting (7.69). Now I fully realize that Sports Car doesn’t receive this and there will be people that argue that an online resource can be viewed by many others, but if they don’t stumble onto the website they simply won’t read it. With the magazine, the opportunity for many people not currently familiar with the club is there. It is possible that WE could better use the magazine? What do you do with your copy after reading it? Consider leaving it at the lunch room where you work, barber shop, ect. The club also uses the magazine for other promo uses, changing the print type would impact advertising dollars, as well as many other areas. There’s more to this whole thing.

RSTPerformance
05-04-2007, 05:27 PM
It is possible that WE could better use the magazine? What do you do with your copy after reading it? Consider leaving it at the lunch room where you work, barber shop, ect.
[/b]

If the issue I have doesn&#39;t have a picture of Greg, Andy, or Dave then I bring it to work and give it to all the NASCAR hounds... A few days later I usually see it in the bathroom sitting next to the snap-on book :) if it has a picture of Greg, Andy, or Dave then I keep it in an airtight container hoping that it will be worth millions when I grow old :birra:

As for the issue, maybe SCCA should have it online and in print, with a checkbox on your membership that needs to be checked if someone wants to recieve a print copy.

Raymond

planet6racing
05-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I&#39;ll agree that, apart from Pobst&#39;s column and the classifieds, I don&#39;t really read the magazine anymore. But, I&#39;ve also cancelled my subscription with GRM because they aren&#39;t grassroots anymore. Every car in the last year has been taken to a shop for work and they just kind of gloss over the work now. I understand with production deadlines and all, but someone should at least get their hands dirty!

Back on topic, it would be nice to have a feature in SportsCar for us car nerds, kinda like some of the articles in RaceCar Engineering. Get into the meat of the topic, not just a cursory overview.