PDA

View Full Version : Memphis May 26-27 Regional/National/IT Tour

FireballPhil
04-24-2007, 09:55 AM
:eclipsee_steering:

May 26-27 w/ test day on May 25 (non SCCA sanctioned)
Memphis BBQ and beer party Sat. May 26!
:birra:
IT gets 2 races w/ separate sanctions - count as 2.
:026:

DLB online registration:
http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubracing/...px?EventID=2755 (http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubracing/clubrace.aspx?EventID=2755)

or go to www.midsouthscca.org and click on downloads

Phil Harris
RE MidSouth Region SCCA

charrbq
04-24-2007, 11:07 AM
You've got no idea how much I'm looking forward to this race!

BlueStreak
04-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm planning on it :eclipsee_steering:

and Chris, I won't even throw a drive shaft over you......

CDS
04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
You've got no idea how much I'm looking forward to this race!
[/b]
Great! I plan to be there too, doing my best to keep up with you.

Turkflyer
04-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Race? I'm going for the BBQ.

FireballPhil
04-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Chris, it is so good to hear that you will be here in May. I will be running the regional on Saturday in a Datsun 1200 GTL. :eclipsee_steering:

Phil

charrbq
04-25-2007, 11:29 AM
If I can get Rebstock to quit talking and doing, then he'll be there in his newest toy running ITE. It's not in the league of the 'Vette, but it'll give the ITS cars all they can handle and then some.

Oh, and of course I come for the barbeque!!! And the friendship, good people, and two days of racing!

bldn10
04-26-2007, 10:13 AM
" it'll give the ITS cars all they can handle and then some."

Chris, what is it?

charrbq
04-27-2007, 09:42 AM
He's got a second generation CRX, non CRX(lighter), with a 1.6 ltr VTEC Integra motor putting out about 150 bhp. He's been running it at NPR, which is very similar to MMP, and consistantly runs up front with the 944's and ahead of the RX7's. Mind you, not all of the cars are top notch ITS cars, but the ones up front are and the drivers are no slugs. His limiting problem is his tight budget for tires. ITE cars use up tires faster than ITC cars, and he's cheap. He still has a lot of handling problems he's working out and various teething problems, but it's pretty fast.

FireballPhil
05-02-2007, 10:42 AM
bump

FireballPhil
05-04-2007, 12:04 PM
bump bump

BlueStreak
05-05-2007, 09:12 PM
:mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

I'm out - Car ran GREAT at St.Louis last week, and is ready to run again, but business has intervened :wacko:

Y'all have a good time - my next attempt will be Barber in July.

charrbq
05-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Well crap, Eddie. Don't you know that work should never intervene with racing and your children's graduation? However, it may be used as an excuse for not attending a relative-in-law's wedding. :P

BlueStreak
05-06-2007, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't mind walking away from business to make a race, but my wife on the other hand has this desire for regular income. She also believes that regular income should exceed what I spend on running the household and the racing operation - she is soooo difficult.

charrbq
05-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Sounds like you need two things all racers need: A job and a wife that understand racing and the sacrificies that are required on their parts. Lemme know when you find those things...I'll spread the word. :birra:

charrbq
05-12-2007, 04:56 PM
+1

FireballPhil
05-16-2007, 08:15 AM
:023: Thanks Chris

charrbq
05-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm still hoping to make this race. Door bars are still not in my hands, and that's a major frustration. Everything else is just a long weekend away from being right. Hopefully, the electrical problem that's plagued me since this car's birth is repaired. If not, then bring more meat for barbeque. There will be a large, Honda shaped bonfire in the paddock. :dead_horse:

FireballPhil
05-21-2007, 10:40 AM
bump bump bump

CDS
05-21-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm still hoping to make this race. Door bars are still not in my hands, and that's a major frustration. Everything else is just a long weekend away from being right. Hopefully, the electrical problem that's plagued me since this car's birth is repaired. If not, then bring more meat for barbeque. There will be a large, Honda shaped bonfire in the paddock. :dead_horse:
[/b]
Hope you can make it, Chris!

charrbq
05-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Once again...good weather, great food, excellent racing, superb hospitality provided by a bunch of the better people in life! We passed ourselves a good time! :023:

I particularly enjoyed the checkered flag laps, but then, I guess I should. :smilie_pokal:

bldn10
05-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks to our super-efficient T&S Chief, Janet Berry, results are posted on mylaps.com.

Thanks to all who attended - and see you back next March. :eclipsee_steering:

charrbq
05-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Dang! She did good! Even corrected for my dumb listing of "Honda" instead of "ITC" on the entry. My bad!

Gary L
05-28-2007, 02:16 PM
As another ITB guy, I just gotta know... what in heck was going on with Chris Albin? Steady 1:38's and 1:39's both days - was he literally running on 3 cylinders? :(

buldogge
05-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey...As far as I know/heard, Chris has undetermined problems resulting in a rev limit of 4k or somesuch!

As another ITB guy, I just gotta know... what in heck was going on with Chris Albin? Steady 1:38's and 1:39's both days - was he literally running on 3 cylinders? :(
[/b]

IPRESS
05-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Wow, what a weekend.
As usual, the Memphis SCCA Officals put on as good an event as possible from a customer service aspect. No doubt they are the friendliest and most service oriented bunch in the club. You have a problem... they find a way to help you solve it.
Great bunch of Folks!

The racing was way fun. I fought overheating Friday and Saturday but got it fixed Sunday morning (which made the Sunday race less stresssful.) Cooler plugs and no thermostat did the trick.

The Friday afternoon "Dixie Austrailian Pursuit Race was a blast.
They ran it like Bracket racing at the drag strip using about 3/4ths of the track.
Jim Drago won the "winners bracket" and I won the "losers bracket".
I challenged him to a race for the entire pot and we had a heckuva race.
Drago is a close friend (I stayed in his RV at the track) and is really really fast in his 99 SM at Memphis (and other places.) This format is somewhat like "PINKS". Drago got a better start, but I was able to pass him on the dragstrip straight and hold it throught the Carousel. At the entry into the Ms (R/L/R) Drago made his "move of the race" going left through the grass, as I turned right then setup for the left I saw him and countered his move by going throught the grass on the right side. Both cras are sliding through the grass on opposite sides of the track with me gathering it up just a little quicker and crossing the line first. Everybody watching was dying laughing as was Drago and myself. Really a fun deal.
Saturdays IT race for me was just managing my heat problem by shifting early and keeping some cars between myself and the next A car. I was lucky to hold on as my temps got pretty high.
Sundays race had the usual drama for me as I made some airdam repairs, took out the thermostat, and changed to cooler plugs. I took off my air intake doing the thermostat change and was lucky to remember (on grid) that I had not plugged the AFM wires back in. (I thought I had a screwed up plug wire.) Roger Johnson and I didn't qualify so we started from the back and got great starts up the outside. With my engine running cool I was able to hang around the back of the ITS pack and finally got in front of one ITS car that helped keep Roger busy until the last couple of laps. With my tires going away (along with my concentration, Roger closed in. I was able to get by my friend charrbq (who I think won twice in ITC) and keep it together to stay ahead. Another lap or two and Roger would have gotten me. It was a fun race and the car and driver are progressing. Look forward to more Memphis BBQ next year.

Turkflyer
05-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Watching Mac and Drago from the stands do their grass routine was a blast...wish I had a camera with me. In Sunday's race Mac and Roger blew by us mortals so fast, I thought my engine had died. Those boys are top class!

charrbq
05-28-2007, 11:28 PM
It was so refreshing to spend a weekend enjoying racing instead of being involved in the politics of some other regions and divisions. I'll take it, and the barbeque, any day.

CDS
05-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Great weekend as always in Memphis. You guys are the best! :happy204:

Car ran fine Saturday except for the usual stumble coming out of the double 90's. I qualified a few tenths behind charrbq and ahead of the other ITC car and was happy with that. I got a terrible start for the Saturday race and lost 3 or 4 positions right off the bat. I got brake-checked by the car in front of me and got completely caught out. My inexperience really shows. I got by the other ITC CRX on the next lap and spent the rest of the race trying to reel in charrbq. I caught him with a lap to go but couldn't pass him and finished on his bumper. It was a really fun race anyway.

Sunday was a different story. The car seemed to run fine during qualifying, but right as I took the checker it lost power completely. We thrashed on it and thought we had it fixed for the race, but it shut down again as soon as I left the grid for the pace lap. I managed to get it refired and off the track, but not before forcing the pack to make a second pace lap. Sorry about that guys.

Not sure what the problem is yet, but it seems to be carb-related. It will start and idle, but stumbles and dies if any load is put on it. Timing is correct, spark looks good, fuel is getting to the carb. I'll look at it more closely this week.