PDA

View Full Version : Fire system actuator

shwah
04-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I am finally installing a firebottle system in my car for this season, and need to decide where to mount the button. My first thought is to mount it in the center of the car, just below the dash. This will be an intuitive place for me, because the portable bottle that I have been usingis mounted to the tunnel in the same area.

However, it would be great to hear where other folks are mounting thiers, and why. I would like to do this once, rather than come up with a 'better' idea shortly after finishing the instal.

thanks,

Speed Raycer
04-22-2007, 02:03 AM
Mount it someplace where a worker can get to it without having to put themselves in peril. If you're out cold and the cars already in flames, the worker should be able to hit it w/o having to reach too far in. Of course, it also needs to be located where you can reach it easily as well.

JimLill
04-22-2007, 08:42 AM
I am just in the midst of finishing that same thing. I am mounting the pull actuator just to the right and rear from the shifter. with a vertical pull. It is easy access for me and less than an arms reach from the passenger side window. Remount cable gives a bit more flexibility.

spdmonkey
04-22-2007, 08:49 PM
I put my bottle on the passenger floor where the seat was and ran the pull up and just to the front of the shifter. With the cable pull systems you need a very sturdy bracket to mount the pull handle, This is not the place for a thin piece of sheet metal trying to save a few ounces. You have to give it a good yank.

Dave

ddewhurst
04-23-2007, 09:12 AM
The manufacture has recomendation for the best functional position for the bottle.

tom_sprecher
04-23-2007, 09:33 AM
There is a diagonal bar on my cage that goes from the RF pad to beside my head on the main hoop. I welded a mount to that. It locates the cable and the E-switch within easy reach through the passenger window for a worker and just far enough away from me that I won't hit it with my arm or hand by accident.

Unfortunately, I can say it works just fine in case of a fire.