PDA

View Full Version : Roll Bar Padding

JimLill
04-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Obviously we need run run the SFI approved stuff in the head thump zones... but how do you guys feel about knee, arm, and thigh areas? Is SFI or the old soft stuff the way to go?

Matt Rowe
04-21-2007, 12:08 AM
I wouldn&#39;t you NEED to run the SFI spec padding. The rulebook says strongly recommended, unless I am missing a section? <_<

joeg
04-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Jim--The SFI is obviously better, but for the very same "hard stuff", sans SFI label, the price is 50% off or more.

Crazy.

JimLill
04-21-2007, 04:03 PM
I am padding the "to be SFI" areas now so as to do it once and be done. I was adding about the lower areas not so much as cost as to want is more effective from an injury or bruise POV.

cmaclean
04-24-2007, 10:32 AM
I&#39;d like to hear some expert responses on this also. It&#39;s my understanding that SFI padding is designed to absorb the impact from a helmeted head, not a leg, arm etc. What I&#39;ve done (and more than happy to change if I&#39;m wrong) is to use SFI padding everywhere my head could possibly contact and the more traditional padding where my legs, arms etc. could make contact.

What&#39;s the expert opinion on this?

Greg Amy
04-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I doubt you&#39;ll find an "expert" on the subject, but that&#39;s the tact I take.

The SFI stuff is designed to withstand multiple hits from hard objects (e.g., your helmet) but it would hurt like hell if your leg or arm hit it. I use the softer foam stuff where soft body parts are likely to contact...

joeg
04-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I am no expert, but the hard stuff will work just fine on other parts of the body. Think of modern dash boards in cars. They seem to be made of firmer and firmer material than the soft stuff when they first came out in ancient Volvos or Benzes.

tom91ita
04-26-2007, 09:26 PM
i use the hard SFI by the helmut. i use the old soft stuff where i am likely to bump my unhelmuted head when getting in and out or when having my head in the car working on something, etc.