PDA

View Full Version : New Center Console - Advice?

wrankin
04-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Hey gang,

I am currently in the process of rebuilding the center console for my FC track car (hopefully eventually ITS). This area will hold the auxillary gauges (currently H2O temp, Oil temp and Oil pres., all electric) plus any additional switches (e-fan, fuel cut, etc).

I am just beginning the layout. I have a medium gauge aluminum panel that will cover pretty much the entire area. So I am looking for advice on both layout, function (additional switches) as well as gotchas with regards to assembly and wiring. (Note: I know that I need to keep the vent controls, and will reserve the area where they will need to be put back into).

1) For ground connections, I was just going to ground the whole panel to the chassis and then ground the gauges and switches to that. Do I have to worry about ground-loops?

2) Should I send a separate ground wire along with the signal wire to the electrical gauge sensors?

3) Does anyone use terminal blocks for all connections? Any thoughts on the best way to manage all the wires?

4) Any thoughts on layout?

5) What switches do you feel should be located on the console?

Any references or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-bill

924Guy
04-23-2007, 09:20 AM
A lot of that stuff seems to be car-specific, can't really comment there unless you're building a P-car, don't know what you have (don't think it's an FC aka Formula Continental?)... so just some general comments...

For switches to have, I like ignition, start, fuel pump (easier than having a relay go bad), radiator fan, defrost fan, data acq system, possibly videocameras (mine are hardwired). But the main focus is the key running stuff. Maybe wipers too.

I know a lot of guys like the toggle switches; believe it or not, I much prefer to use lighted rocker switches, take less space, less easy to switch by accident if flailing in the cockpit, and the light confirms that the circuit is active and getting power.

HTH...

dickita15
04-23-2007, 12:54 PM
FC is mazdaspeak for a 2nd gen (ITS) Rx7.

my only thoughts are good grounds are a good thing.

center console guages take an effort to check. I am lucky to look at them once a lap.

make sure you can reach switches when fully belted in race seat. (do not ask me how I know this)

wrankin
04-23-2007, 01:13 PM
FC is mazdaspeak for a 2nd gen (ITS) Rx7.[/b]

Oops, really sorry about that. Yes, "FC" means 86-91 RX-7, running (hopefully one day) in ITS.

Posting to too many different forums these days. :blink:

Thanks,

-bill