PDA

View Full Version : ITS 1974 Datsun 260z Build

jrvisual
04-18-2007, 03:23 PM
OK Z guys, I am starting an ITS 260z build and was looking for some recommendations on inexpensive adjustable coilovers solutions, headers, and anything else.

I am trying to do this on a pretty tight budget with the safety of the car being the primary concern and performance being secondary. I figure I can upgrade the performance as I go but the safety needs to be there from the start.

[attachmentid=905]

JeffYoung
04-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Good lord man, where did you find THAT clunker?

jrvisual
04-18-2007, 03:36 PM
I worked out a deal on it from two suckers who will remain unnamed. (JY & RE) :birra: One of them was sick of spending money to store it and the other needed space for his other man eating clunker.

JeffYoung
04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
For my IT cars, I prefer the orange flourescent running lights versus the greens. Definitely a 1% gain in "go factor." I also like the counterclockwise spinners. The clockwise, well they are just "clockwise." You might want to go fuzzy dice as opposed to Playboy airfreshner, but that is really 6 of one, half dozen of another.

Last, I would take a SERIOUS look at the spinny doowicky that goes in the carbs. The "Tornado" not only will get your L26 at least 50 mpg, but you'll pick up a few ponies as well.

Ron Earp
04-18-2007, 04:05 PM
You got to be kidding? Who told you it was a good idea to build that?

Before you throw money into that heap let me show you this Jensen Healey I have. It is cool!

seckerich
04-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Is that the Jensen you fixed up like the glass bottom boats at Disney? Really cool for seeing your apex. :P

Tom Donnelly
04-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Jeff,

Talk to David Spillman, (he posts here). He's somewhere around your area. I believe he has a Sam Moore engine. And I think Sam does cages and such. David would be a good person to start with. He has several friends with an interest in z-cars. Around the Atlanta area, there's several good cage builders and engine builders. But you're up in nascar country and they are all over the place up there.

Look back in old posts for z-car suspension setup. Katman has setup several ARRC winning z-cars and he's posted a basic setup more than once. If you look he won't have to repeat himself, just do a search on katman.

Tom

Ron Earp
04-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Is that the Jensen you fixed up like the glass bottom boats at Disney? Really cool for seeing your apex. :P
[/b]

Ummm, yep, that would be the one. Some call it the Extra Light feature too! Call me sometime, 919-949-5851.

jrvisual
04-19-2007, 08:18 AM
I'll be at Roebling picking the brains of the other Z racers.

Other than Ron, (I've already picked his brain dry) What Z racers are going to be at Roebling next week?

04-19-2007, 08:18 AM
For inexpensive coil overs, I shortened the strut tube and welded a 1/4" section of 2" pipe where the sleeve needed to rest, and then slipped on a threaded sleeve and collar. There is a shop called Muscle Motorsports in Huntersville NC that sells used and buyout parts for race cars. Mostly Cup and Busch stuff, but they have some parts for this kind of stuff. This is also a good source for brake cooling hose and aeroquip.

Really focus on light, with the new minimum weight, the best go fast you can have is to not have an extra 180 lbs of car to carry around.

PM me, I have about 20 years of experience driving my 260.

Mike

JeffYoung
04-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Jeff, one of the fastest Zs in teh Southeast will be at Roebling -- John Williams. You will want to catch up with him.

240zdave
04-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Ditto on John Williams. I'll be there with my 240, but John has done a lot of work on my car, and he has been racing his Z and working on Z cars in his shop for years. And he will probably be at the extreme pointy end of our race group.

jrvisual
04-25-2007, 09:35 AM
David,

I'll come track you and John down sometime on Saturday or Friday night if you are staying at the track.

Since I am not a competitor, you and John can show me all your go fast secrets.