PDA

View Full Version : Solid State Digital Recorder - What's the best one now?

Ron Earp
04-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Looking for a solid state digital recorder, ability to handle a few hours of recording a must. Runs on 12V. MUST handle SD cards, not flash cards or Sony cards. Who is making the best deal now? Thanks!!!!

Ron

cherokee
04-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I don't know if they make a public sector one but Panasonic makes a digital video recorder that is two steps past fantastic. The only moving part in the entire setup is the zoom for the lens. The equipment also takes a beating and keeps on ticking. Great stable video, good low light. Can't say enough good things.

I had one in a roll over, a bad roll over and all the equipment is still working great.

Greg Amy
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
We've had various discussions about in-car video setups, primarily in the "bargain" forum. Here's but one:

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=5747 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5747)

Ron Earp
04-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I was trying to wade through that. Seems that some liked this thing:

Neuros MPEG-4 Video Recorder 2 Plus

But the Recorder 2 does not do SD cards I don't think.

Need something that is one touch record for sure.

R

924Guy
04-18-2007, 02:56 PM
They now have a version of the Recorder 2 which does use SD cards - the R2 Plus, costs $10 more than the basic R2.

CLARIFICATION: I bought the R2 Plus before they added the SD slot. Pity - I already had SD memory, changed over to CF to use the R2, would've been nice to keep using SD. No biggie, to me, though...

Still a great recorder. There's a guy on the forums who's tooling up to offer an in-car package pretty simple.

The R2 runs on 5VDC, so an adapter will be needed; not the cheapest, but straightforward, is a universal adapter from RadioShack. Then again, I do see they have an adapter for the 442 (older product) for $15... no definite indication that it is or isn't correct for the R2, would have to ask.

Ron Earp
04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks Vaughn, that is what I need to know! I'll order one of those.

R

ITSROTARY7
04-18-2007, 04:15 PM
You might look at www.chasecam.com. They have a really nice unit.

shwah
04-18-2007, 04:53 PM
In the interest of the KISS principle, I have been looking at this:

samsung recorder (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-SC-X300L-Micro-Compact-DivX-trade-Camcorder/sem/rpsm/oid/174302/catOid/-13063/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)

IPRESS
04-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Ron, I have a neuros that works with the SD card. I am not very ....what you might call... urr... video / computer savy so I have only used it at one race the ARRC weekend. I had it hard wired to the car, but have since removed it as I don't really use it.
I will sell it for $100. I still have the box and all the stuff that came with it. (remote) It is really a compact unit, motorcycle guys love them. They have a big forum support group.
Let me know if you want it.
Mac

Ron Earp
04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Dang Mac, I wish I hadn't already ordered one of them. $100 is about $50 less than a new one and a good deal. they seem easy to use according to the website and will do the job it appears. I plan to set my car up so that all that stuff is hard wired and integrated - no moving it around etc. Just pop out the SD card and put into my laptop to watch the video. Cameras that come in and out, batteries that need charging, etc. are just more things that don't need to add to a busy race weekend.

R

IPRESS
04-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Ron,
Look on the Neuros Forum and find out about the new switch they have that allows the power to go off without losing your video. Mine worked fine, I just don't use it. I have enough trouble getting everything hooked up and ready to go on the grid without stressing about my recorder being on. The unit itself needs a little more info with it, as I had to get a video savy friend to help me get it setup. They are pretty trick actually because they are so small.
Good Luck with it.

Mac

924Guy
04-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Whaaa??? I'd like to know about that - where is it hiding/topic name??

lateapex911
04-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Vaughan-
I think he's referring to this:
http://forums.neurostechnology.com/smf/ind...24&topic=7616.0 (http://forums.neurostechnology.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=3512eq69g7h5kt289ik01udi24&topic=7616.0)

The "ex navy" guy sounds ingenious!

I see you are a part of that discussion, and maybe my guess as to the hardwire switch mods and comments he was making beng relevant are wrong....

924Guy
04-19-2007, 02:42 PM
No, none of that (unless I'm horribly mistaken, wish I were) relates to saving the video despite power loss. :( He only hacks it for a remote LANC style switch. Which is nice, but I have the remote it comes, works fine for me.

lateapex911
04-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Ahhh...good point, I would think there would need to be some form of power present, and a sensor that would trip at the loss of main power and initiate the proper shut down process.

Wouldn't it be simpler to utilize a small on board battery but isolate it from the main circuit via a diode?

Limey
04-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Ron,

You also would probably want to add a voltage regulator to 12V supply to camera.

Also, make sure the setup is fire and driveshaft proof!!!

Cheers, Mark

lateapex911
04-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Ron,

Also, make sure the setup is fire and driveshaft proof!!!

Cheers, Mark
[/b]

Now thats just wrong!!!!!

LOL

924Guy
04-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Yes, it's conceivable that you could use a built-in battery with charge capability, if it were reechargeable.

I'm just living with the weakness myself, right now. As for power wiring, as noted I am currently just using a universal 12V adapter from Radio Shack. Not the cheapest or most elegant solution, but does the job.

lateapex911
04-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Well, thats what i was thinking...kind of a mini power suppply, that could draw from the car, but be isolated when it counted. Lots of battery options, but a little plastic box with a super small motorcycle or lawn mower battery would do the trick. Heck, even a big capacitor would do the trick. I imagine the thing draws next to nothing current wise, so even with a big capacitor, it would run for awhile after shutdown, inadvertant or otherwise.....enough to go through the proper procedure.