PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Update

RacerBill
04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
The engine came out over the weekend, and the transmission is back off so I can reattach it properly. While the engine is out, the plans call for 1) removing the lower control arms and replacing the bushings with Polybushings, 2) refacing the flywheel, 3) dressing up the engine mounts, 4) replacing the altenator bushings, 5) removing the catalytic converter, 6) removeing the EGR valve, 7) renewing the brake calipers, 8) removing as much emission stuff as I can, 8) replacing the oil pan with one with baffles installed to control oil slosh in corners.

Can anybody think of anything else to do while the engine is out? That will not take all summer or cost more than the car!!!!!!

m glassburner
04-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Bill...I know you and I have talked before.....I have just about everything you need...reduced prices :eclipsee_steering:

Andy Bettencourt
04-16-2007, 12:34 PM
How about a nice valve job and some new piston rings?

lateapex911
04-16-2007, 01:15 PM
I think I read "removing the catalytic converter " in there?! If thats still on, then I assume the cast iron manifold might be as well, so I'd say a proper exhaust and header is a MUST!

RacerBill
04-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Andy, Jake

Those items are on the list. Working on being able to afford them all. Also included - new tires, coilovers and camber plates all around, ....

I'm talking about cheap things! Upps, that's an oxymoron. There's NOTHING cheap about racing!

RacerBill
04-23-2007, 06:59 AM
How about a nice valve job and some new piston rings?
[/b]

Once the car is ready for the season, one of the spare engines is going to be stripped down, and taken for a ride to the machine shop for a complete refresh. Probably bore out the cylinders if I can find oversize pistons.

RacerBill
04-23-2007, 07:12 AM
The engine came out over the weekend, and the transmission is back off so I can reattach it properly. While the engine is out, the plans call for 1) removing the lower control arms and replacing the bushings with Polybushings, 2) refacing the flywheel, 3) dressing up the engine mounts, 4) replacing the altenator bushings, 5) removing the catalytic converter, 6) removeing the EGR valve, 7) renewing the brake calipers, 8) removing as much emission stuff as I can, 8) replacing the oil pan with one with baffles installed to control oil slosh in corners.

Can anybody think of anything else to do while the engine is out? That will not take all summer or cost more than the car!!!!!!
[/b]

1) all bolts are loose, ready to come down

2) completed

3) mounts and various other items cleaned and primed, ready to be painted.

4) completed - may have to reverse the bushings to line up the pully

5) working on it - potential problem as the cat is bolted to the manifold, my need custom pipe.

6) completed - with the exception of plugging the opening on the intake manifold. Required swapping the exhaust manifold to be able to plug various holes (which I did not know were there, just thought the muffler was loud!).

7) will be done when the front suspension is comleted and the engine installed.

8) completed

new items added

9) replace water pump - $15 can't hurt to eliminate another potential source of problems

10) replace timing belt - engine is out, shields are all off, and there is a little wear on one side where it ws not centered on the tension pulley - again, stock belt is $9.00 - no brainer!