PDA

View Full Version : Spring-Loaded Window

toddgreene
04-15-2007, 08:40 AM
They are not shown or explained in the GCR...

Are the springloaded window nets legal?

Thanks,

Todd

JimLill
04-15-2007, 10:26 AM
If tensioning is what you're after, here's a more secure approach

http://www.vectorbd.com/am-rennsport/cage/slides/Jim%20lill%20finished%20002.jpg

or is it the axial tensioning of the top rod?

Roy Dean
05-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Old topic, sorry for resurrecting it... but I think he means the type that secure to the cage with a spring loaded rod... sort of like a toilet paper holder.....

And yes, they are legal. I use one in my car.

lateapex911
05-22-2007, 09:38 AM
But, not all tech inspectors will allow the attachment shown in the pic. Mine was attached that way, and the tech objected....and told me it "Must" be changed. I suggested the use of the strapping was the same material and consistant with oh, lets say....the straps that hold ME in the car. to which he told me that they WILL get changed, or I WON'T race, and that I should be more concerned about MY safety that HE was....

He then made some strident marks in my logbook, and told me to "Come back when it's done right...""

dickita15
05-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Jake, I think that is a local problem and I think tech is wrong. They are hanging their hat on the GCR say you cannot use elastic. I have just not been in a situation yet to challenge it in a productive way.
Which go back to the sage advice, do not take anyone’s word for the rules. Check the book and respectfully ask where the interpretation comes from. This is the same advice I give to new tech inspectors.
It is not tech’s job to determine the safety of a design only the compliance.

lateapex911
05-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Dick, I agree....and my comments regrding the lack of similarity of the term "eleastic cord" and the installed webbing fell on deaf ears. he suggested that I could appeal the decision, but if I wanted to race........

So, given the options, I sucked it up.

RSTPerformance
05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Dick, I agree....and my comments regrding the lack of similarity of the term "eleastic cord" and the installed webbing fell on deaf ears. he suggested that I could appeal the decision, but if I wanted to race........

So, given the options, I sucked it up.
[/b]

Jake-

"but if I wanted to race..."

That is NOT something that the Tech inspectors should be threataning IMO. Certainly they can deny your car for anything, and you may appeal it. The Stewards will decide if you are racing or not (If you appeal). Also remember to talk to the Tech Steward whenever a tech person makes such strong comments. He/She is their to help everyone (you and the tech people).

Raymond

lateapex911
05-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Right, it was an annual, and it was the grand poobah of tech. While I disagreed with him, I decided to leave it alone and leave the option to disagree later over something bigger. As far as I know, that individual isn't in the same role anymore....

JimLill
05-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Right, it was an annual, and it was the grand poobah of tech. While I disagreed with him, I decided to leave it alone and leave the option to disagree later over something bigger. As far as I know, that individual isn't in the same role anymore....
[/b]

So how would the Grand Poobah want the bottom attached? (in my circumstance, see above pix)

ddewhurst
05-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Help me out guys.

Window net installation rule.

Can't use:

plastic buckles = a plastic latch. Ok, I understand that..

cable ties = I don't have a clue what a cable tie is. HELP..................

hose clamps = metal or otherwise clamp that secures a hose to something. Ok, I understand that.

elastic cords = a strechy bungy cord. Ok, I understand that.

JimLill
05-22-2007, 08:26 PM
cable tie = TyRap

Maybe the Poohbah wants the install to look just like page GCR-87 (?)... the problem I have with that is that requires the "window" through the side bars to be small enough to as to encumber general if not even emergency ingress/egress. I don't think it's correct to assume that the door can't be opened in every emergency. If I had my sidebars like that, I'd have to have a removable wheel and even then, as lithe as my old body is, I'd have to limbo through the bars. I see nothing in my pix above that doesn't conform with 9.3.52. Not shown in the picture is a single lever full drop-down from the top release.

http://www.vectorbd.com/am-rennsport/2007Prep/slides/DSC_0712.JPG

JimLill
05-23-2007, 08:54 AM
better pix (my last one above)...... so how could I change something IF I wanted to please the Grand Poobah?

x-ring
05-23-2007, 09:06 AM
[/b]

Grand poobah? Are you referring to Bill Pichardo, the National Administrator for Tech, or did you mean some lesser, but still somewhat grand, poobah? :blink:

I can't believe Bill would talk to a competitor that way, so you must mean someone else. Besides, Bill is still the grandest G.P. in the tech world, at least for one more year.

Jim -

It's a little hard to see in the photo, but your installation looks fine to me. It wouldn't draw a comment from me in impound or during an annual inspection. No telling what the poobah wants to see...

JimLill
05-23-2007, 09:08 AM
I am only referencing the GP mentioned above and I have no idea who that person is.........

lateapex911
05-23-2007, 07:01 PM
LOL, no, he was a Regional Grand Poobah, so I guess he wasn't really Grand at all. We seem to be in great hands with our current tech guys. (Two of whom post here...)

ddewhurst
05-23-2007, 07:35 PM
***so how could I change something IF I wanted to please the Grand Poobah?***

Replace the webbing with 1/8 diameter steel strand cable & anchor clamps after looping around the welded side protection loop.

It looks like you now have the deal covered if you are upside down with lap belt buckles near the driver. Is that correct ?

JimLill
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
It looks like you now have the deal covered if you are upside down with lap belt buckles near the driver. Is that correct ?
[/b]

I'll assume the steel cable was tonque-in-check.........

The top is the legal -mandated release. The bottom belts can both tension and release if need be. That scheme was provided by Berg racing who did my cage upgrade.

almracing
05-25-2007, 10:09 AM
I had the same issue as Jake at the annual tech inspection. My lower window net bar uses a seat belt strap/release. The upper was modified for "top-down" this year. I too was told that straps are not acceptable. It needs to be metal-metal contact.

Not really a big deal for me... I had planned to change the lower mounting anyway. But the car does have to be reinspected since it was marked in the log book. That part is a pain.

JimLill
05-25-2007, 12:03 PM
So a metal strap would be legal then I guess......

shwah
05-25-2007, 12:28 PM
The rule that states no elastic does not state metal material only. If you had a bungee chord there, I understand the position of illegality. If what is intended is metal material only, then we need to write the rule to say that.

I use a spring loaded lower bar, and a seat belt latched upper bar to hold mine in.

joeg
05-25-2007, 05:09 PM
All such problems are solved with a custom-made net. Not that more expensive than the standard size off the shelf models.

JimLill
05-25-2007, 05:12 PM
All such problems are solved with a custom-made net. Not that more expensive than the standard size off the shelf models.
[/b]

I thought net has to be SFI and how do you get a custom one of those?

keycom
05-25-2007, 06:17 PM
And then it still needs to be mounted to bars SOMEHOW.

JimLill
06-02-2007, 08:12 PM
So I looked at the ruies (yet but again)... looked at my current net (see pix above)... thought about my safety... and made a change.

I went and got some Mil-Spec tubular webbing rated to 4000 lbs load and some HD buckles rated safe for body weight in fire and mountaineering etc. and redid my current set-up. Still looks the same as above, is as every bit easy on entry/exit etc. but is 4X or more as strong.