PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel

88YB1
04-10-2007, 10:18 AM
As the title says what diameter steering wheel works best? 13, 14, or 15 inch. Obviously a 13" wheel will steer faster, and a 15" wheel will be easier to turn. I drive a 2600 lb car, and looking for a little feed back.

Chuck

benspeed
04-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I like a 15 inch - slow hands are a good thing - a smaller wheel makes the driver jerk more on turn in. Slow hands = smoother turn it. I remember being at Lowes MS watching the cup guys teaching their kids to drive the legend cars and one guy had put a bus steering wheel in to make his kid control his turn in better.

charrbq
04-10-2007, 11:11 AM
The smaller wheel creats more turns lock to lock. Just as a smaller tire changes the final drive ratio.

88YB1
04-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replys. Since I am a realitivly a new driver I need all the help I can get, and since smoother IS faster I will go with the larger wheel.

Thanks
Chuck

Gary L
04-10-2007, 12:02 PM
The smaller wheel creats more turns lock to lock. Just as a smaller tire changes the final drive ratio. [/b]

I respectfully disagree strongly... a smaller steering wheel creates a force ratio change, but there is no change in lock-to-lock turns.

charrbq
04-10-2007, 12:08 PM
You're right, I wasn't thinking. It's a thing with busier hands, not a ratio. My bad.

tom_sprecher
04-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm glad you asked this question as I felt my turns were jerky with the 13" that was on the car. I have a 15" just like it and I am going to ry that next.

Thanks.

RacerBill
04-10-2007, 12:21 PM
You don't see those REAL race car drivers in NASTAXI (ooppss - NASCAR) using those sissy F1 wheels, do ya? :D :D :D

Knestis
04-10-2007, 12:31 PM
http://www.it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/mk3.2/interior.JPG

I use a smaller wheel than in some IT cars but I have power steering.

It's less about diameter than it is about force. If you are pulling** on the wheel and need to make an adjustment, it's harder to modulate the change in forces you are exerting, if they are of a greater magitude. With PS, the forces required to move the wheel are low, so modulation isn't such an issue.

Once force is taken out of the picture, it is easier to have "fast hands" with a smaller wheel, since the movements are physically smaller.

** EDIT - you can see from the pic that we also sit close and LOW in this car, so steering inputs are like you'd expect in a Nextel Cup car, rather than in the "classic" arms-straight sports car kind of pose. THAT is arguably a much bigger issue, when it comes to smooth, accurate inputs. When I say "pulling" on the wheel, I mean just that. Just like with a wrench, you do not want to be pushing (away or up) on the wheel. You have WAY more control when you need to adjust.

K

DavidM
04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Other things can affect what size steering wheel you use as well. My car came with a 15" wheel, but I was constantly banging my knee on it and it made it awkward for me to heel/toe. I used a 13" wheel last season to remedy my knee situation. I liked the "feel" of the 15" better, but the 13" allowed me to heel/toe easier. I think I'm going to try a 350mm wheel next, which is around 13.75". If you don't have tilt steering then larger wheels may be an issue also.

David

invisible saddle
04-10-2007, 03:14 PM
I daily drive with a Nardi classic 350mm = 13.8in. wheel. While I use a Nardi rally sport 330mm = 13in for track days. I'm use to driving karts so I guess I like the sharper steering feel.

JimLill
04-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Some people like the bigger wheels for enduros to reduce the effort...........

shwah
04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
I use a big ole stock wheel because my fwd has a locker diff. Driving around the paddock requires significant steering effort :eclipsee_steering:

mattbatson
04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Yep, another FWD'r with welded diff...

On the smooth is fast thing...
I've always driven with an aim to "smoothness". That is until I welded the diff on my race car :D

The fast way to drive my car (at least by seat of the pants...no data acquisition), is to upset the car at corner entry, by jerking the wheel...Once the rear is hanging out, full throttle...and man it just pulls out like a freight train.

Prince Makaha
04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Nardi/Personal "Winner" circa 1984 black with red thread at 365mm.

tnord
04-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Problem;
I'm 6'3'' 200lbs and drive a miata.
I have to put the seat on the floorpan and WAY back.
I have a hard time getting my legs under the wheel for h-t.
I have my arms "locked" to reach the wheel.

Solution;
I got the smallest suede sparco D wheel I could find.
I added a spacer to the hub.

Result;
I can get my legs under the wheel.
I can reach the wheel without locking my arms.
I can h-t just fine.
I still can't win races.