PDA

View Full Version : ITD Renault LeCar

JGriff
04-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi guys,
At my local track, Waterford Hills, they have a class for ITD cars.The class is made up mainly of cars that are normally classified in ITC but would probably not be as competitive as some of the other ITC cars ( ie; MG Midget, VW Beatle, Geo Metro, etc.). The car of choice seems to be the Ford Festiva. In your opinion could a Renault LeCar possibly be competitive? From what I can tell displacement and weight seem close to the Festiva.
Thanks!
JG

Renaultfool
04-09-2007, 12:33 AM
I built one a few years back, quite a few years back I guess, and it ran pretty well. I trophied at Mid Ohio with it when the IT-C fields were about 15-20 cars and at Nelson Ledges. I used Renault Cup componants and a Devil header. The only scary part is that the car is narrow, and the new tires are very sticky. I was two wheeling some of the corners. If you decide to take this project on I can provide some guidance. I currently run and rent Renault Alliances and Encores in IT-C. Very competitive cars.
Carl Holbrook [email protected]

924Guy
04-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Narrow? That could be an advantage at Waterford!! ;)

Did you notice there's some VERY competitive ITB and C cars for sale cheap and local, right now???

This one is the championship winner from last year, now down to $5600:
http://www.waterfordhills.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6371

Forgot to add - not only did it win the Waterford ITC Championship, IIRC it also currently holds the ITC lap record at Mid-O...

Spinnetti
04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
I remember years ago a hubby and wife team in Renault cup cars.. I scared myself to death coming up on them at the chicane before the keyhole at mid-ohio with about a 60mph speed differential; nearly ran them both over in my A car!

That corner before the back straight at Waterford is tippy already.. that would be scary if the car is tippy too... Saw a dood roll over there once..

JGriff
04-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi Carl,
Thanks for the advice and I'll definately definately take you up on the offer for advice if I decide to go that route. I've also been considering an Alliance or Encore as well in ITC. I've seen a few of these race at Waterford over the past few years and they have always seemed competetive.
I'm originally from Western Pa. and before I moved to Detroit used to spend quite a bit of time at Nelson Ledges. I do recall an IT LeCar there that was always did well in the mid to late 80's( maybe early 90s) so perhaps this was you.
Thanks again.
JG

JGriff
04-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Hi guys,
Spinnetti, your right,....after thinking about you and Carl's comments I seem to have forgot how tippy these cars are.
924Guy - Thanks, I'll look into some of the cars for sale locally as well. Incidentally I have to admit we always enjoy watching you race at Waterford! I only made it to one race last year and had my son,brother, niece and nephews were all cheering for your 924 as well as some of teh ITS 944s. Being that my street sports car is a 944T we are all big fans of the 924/944/968 series and it's always great to see one do so well.
Thanks again!!!!!!!
JG

924Guy
04-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks!! :023: Always glad to hear we're keeping the fans happy! If you made the Sept race (Race 6), you got the biggest treat of all, watching us hash it out with the BMW... and there should be two more 924's running this season at Waterford - another 2.0L ITB car, and a 2.5L ITS 924S...

Look forward to seeing you back out there!

Knestis
04-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Can a LeCar be as fast as a Festiva? Probably.

Do you want to work on a LeCar? No. Not unless you happen to have (1) factory Renault tech certification, (2) a yard full of LeCar's, and (3) connections in France.

And, yes - I've done it.

K

JeffYoung
04-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Listen to Wise Man Kirk....listen to wise man Kirk.....listen to wise man Kirk.....

lateapex911
04-09-2007, 02:38 PM
I second that ^

BMW RACER
04-09-2007, 03:17 PM
A guy walks into a parts store and asks "Mirror for a LeCar?" The guy behind the counter says "Sounds like a good trade!"

Q. Why LeCars have heated rear windows?

A. Keeps your hands warm when you push them!

The good news, you never have to worry about tightening the wheels in the right sequence!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy back in my racing career I was looking at the Alliance Cup series out here on the West Coast, they were running the LeCars on the East Coast, Dave Wolin told me "Run the Alliance Cup they are cheaper to race than the LeCars" I asked why? He said "Because the fall over less!"

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Good luck.

racer_tim
04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
We (San Francisco Region) used to have ITD. ITC cars less than 1,300 cc. Car of choice was the Datsun 1200. There were a couple of MG Midget's, some Fiat X-1/9's and some LeCar / Alliance's from Renault, but the best car was the 1200.

JimLill
04-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I once saw a red LeCar that had the side markings changed to LePOS says it all........

JGriff
04-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the advice. I didn't realize there were so many LeCar jokes. It's almost like the days when I heard at least one Lucas Electric joke every few days when I had my Triumph Spitfire!!!!!
Thanks again.
JG