PDA

View Full Version : Racing on the left coast

lateapex911
04-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I happened to be in SF on the same weekend as the SF Region hosted their season opener, and was lucky enough to get up to the track to watch qualifying and meet some of the guys. I thought it might be interesting to share some observations and pics.

1- Miatas miatas and more miatas. They are everywhere....seemed like there were 125 of them, and they double and triple dip in SSM, SMT, ITA, and ITX. (I think SSM is a variant of the SM rules, and I think SMT is the proper SM class, but I'm not sure what the T part is all about. Maybe someone can straighten me out. ITA is obviously ITA, and ITX is an open class that exists for double entries.)

2- The IT group was HUGE....except the "true" IT cars were rare.
ITA had about 5 or so that weren't Miatas in SM prep, and they were ALL RX-7s. Not a single Honda, Acura or Nissan was seen either on the track or in the paddock or even on the registration sheet. ITB had two cars, one of which made it to the track...a multicolored Volvo 142. Driven by quite a character....he also was the guy who did the One Lap of America in an unlimited mileage rental car. "We changed the oil twice for them" he added. LOL
ITC had 3 really pretty Datsun 510s. Agian, not a Honda in sight.
ITS was only a 2 car field, both Mazda RX-7s, and ITR had a Honda S2000 as it's lone entry.

3- Everybody I spoke with was exceptionally friendly.

4- What a cool track! I've driven it an a formula car, but I'd forgotten how cool it is! lots of elevation changes, and you are constantly busy. And the improvements they've made are great. You can see 90% of a lap from the hill over the esses, and about 80% of a lap from the hill over turn 2. Specatcular spectating track!

Some pics: The view, yes, thats the bay in the background, and the mountains beyond, and the IT grid, see how many non miatas you can find!

And, from this board, "Tak", (Tachi) in his white RX-7.

Jeremy Billiel
04-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Wow green grass and a crapload of Miata's....

Man am I looking forward to seeing green again in NE. The miata's on the other hand can stay on the left coast! LOL

Thanks for sharing Jake.

JoshS
04-07-2007, 05:24 PM
1- Miatas miatas and more miatas. They are everywhere....seemed like there were 125 of them, and they double and triple dip in SSM, SMT, ITA, and ITX. (I think SSM is a variant of the SM rules, and I think SMT is the proper SM class, but I'm not sure what the T part is all about. Maybe someone can straighten me out. ITA is obviously ITA, and ITX is an open class that exists for double entries.)
[/b]

Well, SFR doesn't have a true SM class. SMT is the closest -- the 'T', I think, stands for Tire, because our regional SMT class adds a spec tire when the national rules didn't.

The SSM class is new for 2007. The extra 'S' stands for "Sealed". Taking some of the strategies from SRF. Rules pasted below.

9. SPEC MIATA T (SMT): Spec Miata T will run under the National rules, GCR Spec Miata Category Specifications (SMCS) Section 9.1.8 with the following exceptions/additions.
a. Spec Miata T drivers must use Toyo Proxes RA-1 tires – 205x50x15 – to qualify and/or receive regional points, trophies, and victory flag. Any Spec Miata T driver not using the required spec tire, regardless of qualifying time, must start at rear of SMT field.
b. SMCS Item 9.1.8.C.4.a.3: Also allowed: Ground Control coil-over kit 5030.04.
c. SMCS Item 9.1.8.C.7.e: Detachable hardtop manufactured by Snugtop may also be used.

10. SEALED SPEC MIATA (SSM): Sealed Spec Miata is a limited preparation class. To be eligible for points, trophies and any other rewards, cars must meet all of the rules for Spec Miata T plus the following:

The engine utilized in the car for any session or race shall be sealed by C&C Fuel Injection, 820 E. Greg Street, Sparks, NV 89431 [775-329-9974] or another San Francisco Region designated supplier. The seals installed on the motor shall be registered by C&C and shall remain intact and untampered with at all times. Any seal that is missing or damaged is grounds for disqualification from the event. No work may be done with the engine at the track or otherwise that would have the benefit of altering the engine’s performance as measured by C&C at the time of sealing.[/b]

ITX isn't a truly open class (that would be ITE). But ITA, ITB, ITC, SMT, SSM, RX7, and some Showroom Stock cars can double-dip in ITX.

RSTPerformance
04-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Jake-

How many entries does the entire event get? Are other classes besided IT and SM well populated?

Raymond

JoshS
04-07-2007, 08:39 PM
How many entries does the entire event get? Are other classes besided IT and SM well populated?
[/b]
This event had 296 on the pre-event entry list.

Classes with 10 or more entries:

62 SMT
48 ITA (mostly double-dipping SMs)
27 SRF
18 ITE
14 CF
12 FF
11 ITX (mostly triple-dipping SMs)
11 FM
11 FV

924Guy
04-08-2007, 08:50 AM
So there were, what, maybe 5 non-Mazdas?? How bad is it when they go to Laguna Seca???

Wierd...

Marcus Miller
04-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Jake, you should have said you were coming, I would have brought out my Rx7 (pro7) and SM for you to play with...

RE: Miatas :026: :026: :026:
40-50 car fields are common. We love us some Miatas. And that is why I sold my ITA/7...
Our top IT cars are gone. Donna Bilio moved onto (surprise!) a Miata (Mx-5 pro series) and some grand-am cup racing, and Bobcat grew tired of his ITA Rx-7 and to E-prod or GT-2...

edit: Raymond, here is the full entry list: http://www.sfrscca.org/Calendar/Schedule/0...h31reventry.pdf (http://www.sfrscca.org/Calendar/Schedule/07march31reventry.pdf)

Marcus

lateapex911
04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Jake, you should have said you were coming, I would have brought out my Rx7 (pro7) and SM for you to play with...

Marcus [/b]

LOL, well it was last minute, and I certainly didn't have my car, so I couldn't have played, but i would have been happy to see and meet another IT.com-er!

I did get to talk with a few IT.com guys, and Stan Clayton, (CRB guy) was there delivering a trailer, so he filled me in on lots of good stuff.