PDA

View Full Version : As the World Turns. . . CCR RE resigns, Lowe's cancelled

Marlboro Mafia
04-06-2007, 08:26 PM
That's what I hear today.

Parrish57
04-06-2007, 09:45 PM
WTF?? I seriously hope this is just rumor... Lowe's is by far my favorite event of the year..

manny
04-07-2007, 07:44 AM
I hope this is not true. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my motor just so that i can make that race, now they go and cancell it.

NutDriverRighty
04-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Well, I posted a new thread on the CCR site. I'll go back and e-mail Coy Gillenwater and whoever else I can find to see what the truth might be. Like Manny and others, I enjoyed Lowe's last year despite all of the bad things I'd heard prior to going. I hope this isn't true. If I find out anything, I'll pass it on.

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org
IT7 and SPU

Ron Earp
04-07-2007, 12:24 PM
What does the CCR RE resigning have to do with it? Sorry, I'm naive when it comes to political issues.

R

Marlboro Mafia
04-07-2007, 12:58 PM
My fault, I made it sound like something bad on his part.

I was told that Martin Bartlett, the former RE, did a tremendous amount of legwork to make Lowe's happen each year. Apparently, Lowe's is a real beast to pull together. The person that told me about the situation said that Martin resigned for personal/professional reasons and that there was doubt anyone else would be able to pull it off. Hopefully it will change.

seckerich
04-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Since this is now public I will try to fill in the details. I am on the board for CCR and we had to make some tough decisions about this event. Lowes is by far the most expensive venue we run and takes either lots of cars or an entry fee that most will not pay. At this point it is not 100% dead as we will be speaking with track management in the coming days. This decision was made due to low attendance the past few years and the added problem of the Atlanta Region Feb race moved to the weekend before. Feedback we have gotten from most is that they will not be running the event. The entry fee would have to be near $250.00 to break even with projected attendance. All the costs involved with this venue have increased a fair amount from past years. This has nothing to do with our RE's resignation and we wish him the best with his new business ventures. I will post accurate information as soon as it is available.

JeffYoung
04-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Steve, if this would be helpful to you, I would pay a $250 entry fee for the SARRC to run there. I'm sure others would, and it seemed to me that last year we had a great ITS turn out (12 cars maybe?).

That said, understood if finances just don't allow it to work, but again I think most of us would pay the $250 to run there.

Marlboro Mafia
04-07-2007, 03:22 PM
I believe most would pay $250. It is important that a decision is made quickly and that the race is publicized/marketed.

Parrish57
04-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Count me in for the increased entry fees if that is the only reason for considering canceling the event.

Ron Earp
04-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I'd pay $250 to run a SAARC there as well. Having never been able to run Lowe's for one reason or another I'd like the chance to do it. I'd imagine there are some others in that boat as well. The SM site would be a good place to get a head count too.

Ron

Marlboro Mafia
04-07-2007, 08:01 PM
The stock car boys like it too.

SPiFF
04-07-2007, 09:23 PM
I don't have the Lowe's race on my schedule, but $250 is well worth it.

The April SARRC at the backwater swamp known as Roebling is $240! ($370 for both races)

Ron Earp
04-07-2007, 11:00 PM
The April SARRC at the backwater swamp known as Roebling is $240!
[/b]

Amen. I'd pay $450 now.

NutDriverRighty
04-08-2007, 08:41 AM
I paid $195 plus an additional $75 for a procrastination penalty to run CMP last weekend. Competing with Road Atlanta's event may be tough, but I think I'd go back to Lowe's since it's a one-a-year thing over making the trip to Road Atlanta. Thanks to Mr. Bartlett for the blood, sweat, and tears he's given us. A big thanks to Dick McCollister for stepping-up to take on a big responsibility. It is appreciated.

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org
IT7 and SPU

tom_sprecher
04-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I was planning on running at Lowe's. It'll be a shame if it gets cancelled. $250 is reasonable and we had better get used to entry fees going up just like everything else does.

Team SSR
04-08-2007, 10:54 AM
We ran the test day, the SARRC and CCPS last year. It's on our schedule for this year. We would pay the $250 for a SARRC race as well.

Zahniser1970
04-08-2007, 08:50 PM
We were planning to run the SARRC, ECR and Carolina Cup race as well at Lowes. From what the schedule says about the Road Atlanta event, it says that it is a SARRC, National and Pro IT. I am not real sure how you would get much seat time with all of that going on. I would think more people would rather run a regional at Lowes than have little seat time at Road Atlanta two weeks earlier.

CHennecy85
04-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Lowe's Motor Speedway was my favorite event last year and that is saying a lot considering I ran Road Atlanta, VIR, Kershaw, Rockingham, Daytona, Sebring and Savannah. Charlotte is even faster than Daytona and you really feel like you are on the edge all the way around turns 3 and 4 on the banking which I imagine may be intimidating to some.

The reason I enjoy racing in SCCA and being in the Southeast is because I get to run tracks like Daytona, Rockingham and of course Lowe's Motor Speedway. How many guys can say they have raced at these places whether on the oval or not outside of Cup and Busch guys with multi-million dollar rides?

CaptainWho
04-09-2007, 08:40 AM
$250 would certainly be within our budget ... we'd probably run the CCPS if there is one.

Super Swift
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Wow. Please say it aint so...

It is going to cost me $240 to run Savanna in a few weeks. $250 to run Lowes does not seem unfair.

Next point.

Road Atlanta ECR_____CANCELLED
double VIR ECR ______one CANCELLED & one moved to rock
Daytona_____________CANCELLED
Lowes_______________TBD

This is a bad trend. 4 cancelled races in 6 events.

Ben Robertson.
4th in ECR Points in 2006: SM
2nd in ECR Points in 2006: ITS
Running an ITR and SM this year in ECR's

Marlboro Mafia
04-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Anyone heard an update on Lowe's?

Zahniser1970
04-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Anything on this?? Trying to get our schedule set?

Ken Grammer
04-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow... I step away for a weekend and our world changes!

I'm also trying to unravel this rumor... since USERA had been invited to host a short enduro on the Lowes June weekend.

I will post as soon as I hear something... assuming someone from the region doesn't beat me to it.

Maybe we need a LONG event under the lights???

04-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I was planning to run the CCPS and the SARRC, this is my favorite track. I did my first school back in '92 at then CMS. I have missed three times since I got my license. Once due to an Appendectomy, once due to an engine that blew on the test day and once due to missing parts while assembling an engine the week before the event. Took over a week to get spares.

Looking at the grids, it is a slew of IT cars, a few GT's and a couple formula cars. How a bout a restricted regional that is one day? We might be able to get a better deal if we have the track for less time, and only run the groups that put the cars out there.

Just some ideas to save a venue that I really enjoy!

Mike

Ken Grammer
04-18-2007, 06:21 PM
I spoke with new RE of CCR this afternoon and verified that officially Lowes has not been canceled (yet)...

Having said that, they are still struggling to make the budget for the event work.

During our discussion, I suggested that they consider a night enduro under the lights! That would make the event unique while moving some (all???) of the racing to the cooler evening hours!

If you like this idea you should speak up quickly. CCR needs to make a decision soon.

I'm still not sure what this means for the USERA part of the weekend... I'm waiting for them to make a decision on the event before I will know if we are still on the weekend.

GKR_17
04-19-2007, 02:31 PM
During our discussion, I suggested that they consider a night enduro under the lights! That would make the event unique while moving some (all???) of the racing to the cooler evening hours!
[/b]

I've heard this mentioned before, and it is definitely interesting. Though last time (it may have been Daytona) it was said to have cost many thousands of dollars to turn the lights on. If true, that surely doesn't help the budget woes.

Ken Grammer
04-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Light costs at Lowes is not that bad... and my suggestion was to drop Sunday (save a lot) and spend a little of that on the lights! :)

But, they will need to look at the overall groups and budgets to see if they can make it work.

If they decide to bail on the day... USERA might do it and run a LONG afternoon/evening enduro! We just need to make that decision real soon!

:)

seckerich
05-03-2007, 02:18 PM
At this point all the proper people involved with Lowes event should have been notified. The CCR board met Tuesday night and has decided to cancel this years Lowes race. Many factors led to this decision and it is what we feel is in the best interest of our region. We apologize to all who planned to attend and plan to have changes in place to host this race in 2008. We wanted to give you as much time as possible to plan alternate races to attend. Thanks to all who have supported us in the past.

NutDriverRighty
05-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Truly a bummer. Glad I went last year. Any plans on a "rain date" for another CCR road race before the season is over? (I know that is a tall order to ask for, but why not ask).

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org

05-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Well....damn! I was so looking forward to this race now that I have an engine that runs!

Mike

jmark
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Well....damn! I was so looking forward to this race now that I have an engine that runs!

Mike
[/b]Mike, You & David need to come down to CMP end of the month and run.

http://www.sedivracing.org/2007Schedule.pdf

I guess it is official Lowe's is cancelled.....

05-10-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm looking hard at getting my car there. David has a good bit more work to get there. I may be able to pull it off, I don't see him getting there in his car. I am itching to get in the car again.

Mike

jmark
05-10-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm looking hard at getting my car there. David has a good bit more work to get there. I may be able to pull it off, I don't see him getting there in his car. I am itching to get in the car again.

Mike
[/b]I hope you can make it. Looks like Guy Marvin is bringing his #33 240Z for the SARRC & ECR. I should be there taking pics.

Bryan88
05-10-2007, 08:25 PM
I would pay the $250 to run at Lowes as well.......

It is defintely my favorite track on the East Coast.......