PDA

View Full Version : Rear sump fuel cells

Cobra Tim
04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
We have an 8 gallon rear sump cell with an alluminum casing sitting in our shop.

Are these legal for IT racing?

Im reading the rules for fuel cells and cant figure out if a fuel cell is installed in an IT car, if it has to meet the requirements of other classes

ddewhurst
04-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Tim, there are three options with regard to fuel containers & two rules reguarding cells in an IT car.

Option A. OEM fuel tank........

Option B. GCR 9.3.26. FT3 fuel cell...........

Option C. GCR 9.3.26.4. Rotary Molded Cell...........

If you use your 8 gallon cell it will need to meet one of the above cell spec.

Cobra Tim
04-06-2007, 12:16 AM
What exactly is a "Rotary Molded Cell"

I also take it that the rear sump portion would be legal? These are the cells many drag racers like to use.

joeg
04-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Rotary molded= "plastic" or High density polyethylene

ddewhurst
04-06-2007, 08:28 AM
***We have an 8 gallon rear sump cell with an alluminum casing sitting in our shop.***

Tim, your above info is not much to base a decision on. For further information please post the Manufactures name & some tech info on your cell.

Cobra Tim
04-06-2007, 03:21 PM
http://chassisengineering.com/products/1258-3l.jpg

Its an 8 gallon cell like this one from chassis engineering.

Here is a link to the page

Designed to be superior in both materials and workmanship our tanks may cost a little more but the added quality and safety are well worth it. Made from a special clear polyurethane that is both thicker and stronger, our tanks resist the flexing and sagging common to other tanks.[/b]

http://chassisengineering.com/shopDetails....&ProductId=1258 (http://chassisengineering.com/shopDetails.asp?CatId=10&SubCatId=24&ProductId=1258)

My main concern was the location of the fuel pickup and return lines.

ddewhurst
04-06-2007, 08:53 PM
It is not an FIA FT-3 certified fuel cell............

Talk with Chassis Engineering & question if it's a rotary molded cell. If they say it's a rotary molded product have them document that fact so that you may provide the documentation to a SCCA tech person for approval.

As a side note there are many fuel cells that are not approved by the SCCA.

Cobra Tim
04-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Any comments on the fuel pickup location?

eprodrx7
04-10-2007, 12:24 PM
What about RM cells that are FT3 approved? BTW method of manufacture is not included in any lit included with any cell I have ever seen ATL or other.

:dead_horse: More outdated rules from an outdated club

racer_tim
04-10-2007, 12:29 PM
From the pickups, it looks like a drag racing cell. I wouldn't use it.

ddewhurst
04-10-2007, 02:14 PM
***More outdated rules from an outdated club :dead_horse: ***

Now your sounding ^ like your brother. :cavallo:

***BTW method of manufacture is not included in any lit included with any cell I have ever seen ATL or other. ***

The rule says "Rotary Molded Cell". Help me with this John. If the manufacture can't provide info that the cell is rotary molde who can? How would you prove your cell was a rotary molded cell? :o

Cobra Tim
04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
The cell is rotary molded so I now know that part is legal. As far as the reas sump goes, ALOT of mustang track day guys like the rear sump. From what I understand they do work great (and ALOT better then a stock fuel tank.)

So I guess the only question I have left at this point is with the legality of the fuel pickup points.

This would cost us next to nothing to install and would be replacing a stock fuel tank in an ITS 240 Z

eprodrx7
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
David,
The thing is, how would tech be able to tell? Like I said a lot of RM cells are FT3 certified. BTW I've been out of IT for a while now but thought that the cells in IT didn't have to meet FT3.

"Now your sounding ^ like your brother"
Now thems fighting words... :rolleyes: