PDA

View Full Version : Need some help getting started...

TurboCGT
04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
I am new to the scca and am looking for some guidence in what I need to do to get going for the season. I have sent in my novice permit application and am hoping that it will be ready in time for the april 20-21 school at NHIS. I have driven NHIS more then any other track at HPDEs so I am trying very hard to get ready for this event.
One of the bigger issues that worries me is getting a logbook for my car as well as a number and any other stuff I am missing. The car is mechanically very solid and I drove it a bunch at Thunderhill, Infineon, and NHIS once I got back east in the fall. I had a cage built by chris howard this winter and should have the safety stuff wrapped up this weekend. I am unsure of who to contact about a logbook and any other car related paperwork I might need to finish.
I was also curious what I need for personal safety equipement. I have a suit that I know is legal along with my helmet. I have the nomex socks and my gloves are FIA rated but I am not sure if they are SFI rated. I am unsure if this is an issue. I was also not sure if I needed nomex underwear with a 3 layer suit... my reading of the rules leads me to believe I do not.
I have also been unable to find contact information to sign up for the event. The regional race has contact info but I have not been able to find any for the school. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to sort out the loose ends before the season gets too far underway.

Thanks a bunch,

Jared Hourihan

Greg Amy
04-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Jared, lots of questions! Feel free to call me one evening this week and I'll be glad to walk through all of this with you. I'm a tech inspector as well as an instructor (as are others on this board), and any of us would be glad to assist you in getting ready for NHIS.

I'm just too lazy to type it all up! ;)

Greg Amy
Middletown CT
860.632.9892 home
203.209.1217 cell

Despr8dave
04-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Jared,

I know this is a little off topic, but after reading what Greg said, I just felt I had to speak up. I have never met Greg, did see him run the ARRC in 2004 ( I think ) at Atlanta. Here is a guy who is a national champion and obviously has years of experience and success, has to love his sport and is offering you his help and support. It takes alot more than money to do what he has. I have raced under four different organizations, both road racing and stock cars and have never experienced the help and support I have received in racing than in any other venture or activety I have participated in. I've looked through the windshield more than once and seen several other competetors and crew members trying to get my bomb going. It is guys like Greg that make this sport a lot easier to get into. It can be very hard showing up at the track alone and inexperienced. I have been very lucky to have made some very dear friends that I have met at the track and the meetings. Good luck to you and don't forget to just ask for help, guys like Greg will be there.
Thanks Greg and all you other "crazies" that make my passion so great.

David

dominojd
04-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh god Greg's head is big enough already, now this :D

RSTPerformance
04-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Still here and waiting to help a fellow Audi get started :)

Raymond

JLawton
04-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Jared,

Go to www.ner.org and there is a "contact" link. The most important thing is to get your novice permit (call SCCA to check the status, my dealings with them recently have been very helpful) and make sure you are signed up for the school.

We'll be up there for the test day on Thursday (and will be instructing Friday and Saturday) so hunt us down when you get in if you need anything. We'll be in the North garages, red Saturn, #34............Um, the ONLY Saturn..........

What kind of car do you have?

Andy Bettencourt
04-06-2007, 07:37 AM
(and will be instructing Friday and Saturday) [/b]

OH GOD!

Doc Bro
04-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Speaking of instructing...I'd be willing to help out this weekend. We'll be there with nothing to do. I don't mind working a corner but I DON't want to be on track [fill in various reasons here!!!]. I can help with giving feedback with respect to what is obeservable from a respective post. I didn't know who to contact. Just let me know.

R

Oh BTW, Jeff, your recent dealings with the SCCA? Have those been about your novice permit too??? :P

Greg Amy
04-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Rob, contact Alan Dunklee, contact info at ner.org. He's the Chief Instructor and will no doubt be glad for your assistance. Note he's telephone-only, no email, and doesn't mind phone calls at 8:00 PM.

Dave, thanks for the kudos. Just giving back what was given to me! Of course, if anyone needs one-on-one, data-acquisition driver coaching, please feel free to give me a ring...reasonable daily rates plus expenses... ;)

Jared and I spoke last night at length, and he's well on his way. He's calling the right people for licensing, I directed him to NER.ORG for the entry, and he's planning on going to the NH tech day tomorrow to get the logbook and car issues buttoned-up (Jeff: Audi Coupe GT).

Yet another one sucked into the bottomless vortex of auto racing... :) - GA

gran racing
04-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Great. Another ITB Audi? :bash_1_:

Jared, you'll never have trouble finding help in this sport. It's pretty amazing to see all of the people willing to provide a helping hand, often times it will be your biggest competitors. See ya at NHIS.

JLawton
04-06-2007, 03:24 PM
OH GOD!
[/b]

You suck

Oh BTW, Jeff, your recent dealings with the SCCA? Have those been about your novice permit too??? :P
[/b]

You suck too...........

You all just remember the plastic fenders............Andy, as you're lapping me. Rob, as I'm lapping you!

Andy Bettencourt
04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
You suck

You suck too...........

You all just remember the plastic fenders............Andy, as you're lapping me. Rob, as I'm lapping you! [/b]

Are we talking about the same car that got STRUCTURAL damage from a tap by a 240SX?

http://www.the16v.com/SCCA/06/narrc/images/DSC_4249.jpg

The MOSQUITO is ready.

Greg Amy
04-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Jared, ignore these two guys. Seriously. Deep down they're in love with each other and will soon fall into a messy pile of man-love...

It won't be a pretty sight...

Andy Bettencourt
04-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Grab a North-side garage and you will feel the love! We might have enough ITA cars to fill the entire building!

zracre
04-06-2007, 04:53 PM
One of these days I am going to come up to NER and play...I try to plan it every year but something always comes up...How about you guys come on down to Daytona or Sebring sometime (except for you Greg...unless we can put a 10mm restrictor plate on the egg :happy204: )

TurboCGT
04-16-2007, 03:38 PM
I am pretty sure I have the car all set for a log book now. Figured I would share some pictures.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u237/TurboCGT/cgt_school001.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u237/TurboCGT/cgt_school002.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u237/TurboCGT/cgt_school003.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u237/TurboCGT/cgt_school004.jpg

And one of the tires and stuff all loaded in the truck. Was also curious if anyone has run Hankook Z211s in the rain before. Picked them up as they looked like a cheap way to pick up a treaded dot r.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u237/TurboCGT/cgt_school005.jpg

Sorry about the akward angles of the photos... snapped them real quick while trying to keep the tarp on top of the car.

JimLill
04-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Looking good...........

You might want to remount that fire extinguisher were you yourself can grab in while strapped in.

Andy Bettencourt
04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Looks great! How much tire you got on that drivers-side ramp? :o

TurboCGT
04-16-2007, 04:24 PM
To be honest I had to go and look after I uploaded the pictures. It looks like it is right on the edgue but the inside of the tire is a good ways from the edge. And I will look into moving the fire extinguisher, figured I would be focused on getting out of my harness before grabbing the fire extinguisher... but I suppose it couldn't hurt to mount it closer.

itracer
04-16-2007, 04:43 PM
And I will look into moving the fire extinguisher, figured I would be focused on getting out of my harness before grabbing the fire extinguisher... but I suppose it couldn't hurt to mount it closer.
[/b]

Lower is also good in case it becomes a projectile.

gran racing
04-16-2007, 04:59 PM
You might want to remount that fire extinguisher were you yourself can grab in while strapped in. [/b]

I was thinking the same thing. Even out of the harness, make it really easy to grap and get the heck out of the car.

You're car does look very nice! See you out there soon. ;)