PDA

View Full Version : Rear Spoiler on CRX

toddgreene
04-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Is there any benefit from using the Factory DX or HF spoiler on the 1st Gen CRX?

Thanks,

Todd

MarkosMotorsports
04-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Is there any benefit from using the Factory DX or HF spoiler on the 1st Gen CRX?

Thanks,

Todd
[/b]

That is the foam material soft spoiler correct?

toddgreene
04-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Actually it is the hard wing spoiler.
It has two pedestals and mounts on the rear of the deck lid.

Thanks,

Todd

shwah
04-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Isn't the SI in ITB and the others in ITC? In that case it doesn't really matter. They are on different spec lines and the part is not legal on the SI. However there is an 'aero package' permitted on the SI spec line - I have no idea what that is, guessing a factory optional aero kit for the SI. I wonder if it also uses the same spoiler...

Limey
04-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Unfortunately, you can't run one (assuming you're putting it on an IT car):

From GCR - "Dealer installed or limited production front/rear spoilers/air dams/wings are prohibited.

raffaelli
04-05-2007, 01:43 PM
The 91 CRX Si shell I bought had a rear plastic wing on it. I could not find proof that it was part of the USDM. I only found proof that it is was a EDM part.

Would have loved to keep it for its looks, but off it came. I am not sure that the earlier version of the CRX had a USDM rear wing.

CDS
04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Unfortunately, you can't run one (assuming you're putting it on an IT car):

From GCR - "Dealer installed or limited production front/rear spoilers/air dams/wings are prohibited.
[/b]

I believe he is talking about the factory installed spoilers. Were the DX and HF ever available without the spoilers? Most every CRX I've seen has them. If not, then are you permitted to remove them?

Gregg
04-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Just to clear something up....

All '84 CRX's came with this (the hard plastic, two-post) spoiler installed at the factory.

All '85 non-SI CRX's came with this spoiler installed at the factory.

All '86-'87 HF's came with this spoiler installed at the factory.

All '86-'87 STD's did not come with this spoiler and had a bare decklid.

As to Todd's original question...I have no clue, but I would think that there would be less drag w/out one and that the amount of downforce would be negligible at that car's terminal velocity.

It's certainly a nicer looking car with it though. B)

CDS
04-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Real racecars have wings. :P

toddgreene
04-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks Gregg,

I'm not that concerned about the legality.
I think anyone could mke a strong argumanet that they are OEM and legal.

The down force is the issue.

Fill 'em with lead???

Thanks again,

Todd

shwah
04-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Sorry - based on the original post it sounded like the 84-87si did not have the part. If the 84 did, then obviously no legality issue.

As far as using it - the location it sits in is very unlilkely to create an aero problem. If it is not heavy, and you like the look, put it on. I don't think you will see much performance difference either way at ITB speeds.