PDA

View Full Version : Crew License

JimLill
04-01-2007, 12:41 PM
My pit people are joining the SCCA and can't find a box to check...........?

tom_sprecher
04-01-2007, 04:46 PM
My guess is since you did not have to do anything to get a crew license except check a box the powers that be decided it wasn't worth the ink. Besides, if you do not check the box you can still work as crew or just about any other position within reason if needed.

JimLill
04-01-2007, 05:58 PM
My guess is since you did not have to do anything to get a crew license except check a box the powers that be decided it wasn't worth the ink. Besides, if you do not check the box you can still work as crew or just about any other position within reason if needed.
[/b]
w/o a Crew License, people are not allowed in the Hot Pits etc

dickita15
04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
[/b]

Not true where I race. You need to be a member to get into hot areas. If I remember right license holders including crew receive higher insurance coverage that members with no license.

I would write across the bottom of the application asking for the crew license. If that fail, when at registration ask for a temporary license form, make sure it gets mailed and it will be converted.

tnord
04-01-2007, 11:41 PM
I have a crew liscense.

bldn10
04-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Personally, I don't think the SCCA should be involved in rowing competition anyway; drifting is bad enough! :P

JohnRW
04-02-2007, 11:06 AM
[/b]

The only thing required to enter hot areas at any track we race on in the NE is a "hot" credential (wrist-band or sticker on membership card) issued by the SCCA Registrar for that event. "Hot" credentials are issued to every warm body(*) that appears at Registration with proof of currrent SCCA membership. Non-members get "cold" credentials...and a different colored wrist-band or sticker.

*Edit: "...warm body over the age of 16...or at WGI over 18"

Edit again....that's a quote mark after 18...but WGI probably has a requirement that you have to be over 18 inches tall, too.

CaptainWho
04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I have a crew liscense.
[/b]

Yep, me, too. Of course, I've had a crew license as long as I've been a member, so it just keeps getting tacked on each year. Originally, I called HQ shortly after joining SCCA and asked them to amend my license with crew in addition to F&C and T&S.

mlytle
04-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Personally, I don't think the SCCA should be involved in rowing competition anyway; drifting is bad enough! :P
[/b]

:lol: :lol:

MMiskoe
04-03-2007, 06:37 AM
My kids have crew licenses, I simply checked the box when filling out the family memebership.

They were 2 and 4 years old respectively when this first happened, so it doesn't seem to mean much if you have that note on your card.

The 2 year old did meet John's 18" rule so could he get into the hot pit at WGI?

RacerBill
04-03-2007, 08:01 AM
The only thing required to enter hot areas at any track we race on in the NE is a "hot" credential (wrist-band or sticker on membership card) issued by the SCCA Registrar for that event. "Hot" credentials are issued to every warm body(*) that appears at Registration with proof of currrent SCCA membership. Non-members get "cold" credentials...and a different colored wrist-band or sticker.

*Edit: "...warm body over the age of 16...or at WGI over 18"

Edit again....that's a quote mark after 18...but WGI probably has a requirement that you have to be over 18 inches tall, too.
[/b]

18 (years old!) at Mid-Ohio, also

charrbq
04-03-2007, 12:07 PM
They automatically renew it once you've got crew on your license. They stopped including the check box a couple of years ago, so I just wrote it in on the application. The only difference is an increase in insurance coverage which can be like gold in the event of an incident in the fast pits. A membership card is all that is needed to get into the fast pits in most cases or to work a corner, etc.

JohnRW
04-03-2007, 12:25 PM
A membership card is all that is needed to get into the fast pits in most cases or to work a corner, etc.
[/b]

Chris makes a good point...so good that I'll reinforce it:

You don't need a F&C (Flagging and Communications) license to work a corner station. You don't need a T&S license to work T&S. You don't need a Registrars license to work Registration. You don't need a Tech license to work Tech.

Notice the theme ?

tcpip
04-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I just received my 1st SCCA membership card and it says Crew License. I used the application on the NER website and there is no check box for that, so i'm guessing Crew License is the default.

bobfv2
04-10-2007, 04:01 PM
As far as I know they are now putting crew on everybodies card to say them time and money.

Bob

jjjanos
04-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Chris makes a good point...so good that I'll reinforce it:

You don't need a F&C (Flagging and Communications) license to work a corner station. You don't need a T&S license to work T&S. You don't need a Registrars license to work Registration. You don't need a Tech license to work Tech.

Notice the theme ?
[/b]

John,

You may want to check with your registration person on this. Everywhere I've gone they've told me that to "legally" work those specialties (i.e. be covered under the insurance) I needed at least a regional license.

This could be a case of "helmet and gloves" for a flat tow. I don't know.

JohnRW
04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Not true, not true, not true.

You don't need a license to work any of those specialties. You can't even get one of those licenses until you've worked them for enough events to satisfy the local 'Chief of Specialty' and the Divisional Administrator for that specialty.

You may need some equipment - 'whites' if you're going to stand on a corner station (or something that isn't 'red' or 'yellow' to wear) - but you sure as hell don't need a Reg'l or Nat'l license.

JamesB
04-11-2007, 01:32 PM
If you work one event registered in a specialty you can get a regional for that specialty when you renew. However, to have a divisional or national level in that specialty you need to log your events. I did not do that this past season and even though I had enough to actually keep my divisional I forgot to send in my log book.

BillH
04-11-2007, 03:44 PM
My daughter is on the crew team at college, but I don't think she has a license. :(

RKramden
05-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Not true, not true, not true.

You don't need a license to work any of those specialties. You can't even get one of those licenses until you've worked them for enough events to satisfy the local 'Chief of Specialty' and the Divisional Administrator for that specialty.

You may need some equipment - 'whites' if you're going to stand on a corner station (or something that isn't 'red' or 'yellow' to wear) - but you sure as hell don't need a Reg'l or Nat'l license.
[/b]

From the GCR:

4.5.2. Race Official Licenses
It is required that all Officials under SCCA control at all SCCA sanctioned events shall either be licensed in the specialty or hold a logbook in the specialty, except physicians and nurses. These licenses are to be checked at Registration (preferred) or by the Chief of the Specialty at each event.

4.5.3. Officials’ Membership Requirements
A. SCCA Runoffs: All officials shall be licensed members of SCCA.

B. Other Events: Only licensed members may be placed and/or work in hazardous areas. Non-members may work only in areas where the hazards do not exceed those to the general public. Exception: Employees of Services hired by the region or track who will be entering a restricted area such as ambulance, wrecker and fire crews are recommended to be, but do not have to be, SCCA members. For the purpose of determining a hazardous area, the definition “outside the protection of a positive barrier” will be used.

C. Temporary /Trial Memberships and Licenses are available. This membership/license is good for 90 days from the date of issue, is renewable, and allows for individuals to receive certain regular membership privileges. The issuing region may charge fees.

JohnRW
05-11-2007, 12:12 PM
OK, Dave...you lost me.

Newbie shows up at Registration, want to work F&C with his new-found buddies. He's an SCCA member, and he's issued one of those "logbook" cards - a 3x5" index cars with "date/place/Chief" columns. He's good to work on-station, right ? Can't hold any class of license until you've work the specialty long enough to satisfy the Division Chief of Specialty, so there has to be some way of getting new people experience before they're issued a license.

IME, that's how it works.

What am I missing ?

charrbq
05-11-2007, 01:00 PM
As I've been told by stewards...even though the term "Official" and "Steward" is thrown around lightly, they differ from "Worker". Everyone out there, in the tower, tech, grid, registration, etc. is a worker. Anyone with a valid SCCA membership card can work an event in any position available to him and is covered by the SCCA's insurance. It is up to the race official (i.e., corner captain) to see that the newbie is well versed in the hazards of the task at hand and that, if possible, he is put in a safe area (i.e., behind a barracade) until the race official feels he is capable and safe to do else wise. At that time, he may be issued a log book by the race official, should he desire it and want to continue towards a license. These log books are usually issued by the chief of specialty for the event.

A process of log book, divisional, and national license requirements are followed just as they are in a racing license. Each step may be circumvented by the DA or a Racing Steward to shorten, or in the rare case, lengthen the process.

The key word is the definition of worker, official, and steward. A worker isn't an official or steward without a license, even though the term is thrown around loosely.

If this wasn't the case, then there would be no new workers, no need to ask for more to work our events, and when they died or quit, we wouldn't be able to race anymore after they were gone.

dickita15
05-11-2007, 03:24 PM
a regional license is issued on request with no qualifications except membership, usually by registration.