PDA

View Full Version : BRAKE fLUID???

tdw6974
03-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Ok what's your favorite brake fluid and perhaps a little info as why? :D Probably best not to post a "My brother-in-law steals it from work" reply :P Have been using Wilowood 570 seems to work well, The ATE looks interesting with the different color to tell when system is purged. I see some brands claim to be nitrogen fill to keep fresh. T Weaver :eclipsee_steering:

its66
03-31-2007, 09:16 PM
Tom,
Purely unscientific response here. I boiled the fluid in my old ITA car once, and changed the fluid out to AP600. It didn't give me any more problems, so I kept using it when I got the RX7. I still haven't had any brake fluid issues....
Are you experiencing any problems, or just looking for a comparison.

Mike Guenther
03-31-2007, 10:20 PM
I had problems boiling brake fluid in my first gen RX-7 until I started using the Motul fluid. When I got my second gen someone told me about the Ford fluid. It is inexpensive compared to the Motul and I have never had any problems with it after 3 years. I change it often just to be sure it is fresh.

Black91n/aRX-7
04-01-2007, 12:09 AM
More specifically it's Ford DOT 3 that you shouls look for. It's by far the best value for high temp brake fluid. It's got a 550 degree boiling point and it's 1/3 the price of the cheaper of the racing fluids. Ford recently changed the formula to 500 degrees, but many of the other companies that sell it still list on the bottle that it's 550 degrees.

gran racing
04-01-2007, 07:43 AM
I've been using the ATE Super Blue / Typ 200 brake fluid for a few years now and really like it. Why? For our cars, the boiling points are plenty high enough. Having two color fluids sure does making flushing the system easy. It's inexpensive; under $15 for a can. Oh yeah, it comes in a can vs. plastic container.

Dry boiling point of 536 degrees F, wet boiling point of 396 degrees F.

JimLill
04-01-2007, 07:57 AM
I've been using the ATE Super Blue / Typ 200 brake fluid for a few years now and really like it. Why? For our cars, the boiling points are plenty high enough. Having two color fluids sure does making flushing the system easy. It's inexpensive; under $15 for a can. Oh yeah, it comes in a can vs. plastic container.

[/b]

Even cheaper if you can avoid big shipping charges. I buy a split case at a time.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN4018/MO/ATE+Super...rake+Fluid.html (http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN4018/MO/ATE+Super+Blue+and+Typ+200+Brake+Fluid.html)

bldn10
04-01-2007, 08:39 AM
I just use Valvoline Synpower in my 2nd Gen. w/ ducts and have never boiled it. To my knowledge.

mbuskuhl
04-01-2007, 10:06 AM
More specifically it's Ford DOT 3 that you shouls look for. It's by far the best value for high temp brake fluid. It's got a 550 degree boiling point and it's 1/3 the price of the cheaper of the racing fluids. Ford recently changed the formula to 500 degrees, but many of the other companies that sell it still list on the bottle that it's 550 degrees.
[/b]

Same here- I think I paid less than $4 a bottle from the Ford dealer.

Black91n/aRX-7
04-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Yep, not only is it the best deal by far, it's also got a higher boiling point than some of the fluids that cost more than 3x as much, like the ATE at 536 degrees vs the 550 degrees of the Ford. Just be careful as to what formula you get, 550 vs the new 500.

C. Ludwig
04-01-2007, 06:23 PM

[/b]

+1. Never had a problem with heat and the two different colors make flushing the system a no guess affair.

Joe-Racer
04-02-2007, 11:40 AM
+1 on the Superblue. It does make for a simple fluid change and works just fine. I do like the can v/ bottle (not that it really matters, I suppose).

I had an EVO prior to the Rex and only used SRF. It is by far the best fluid, period. It doesnt absorb water at the rate typical fliuds do - and therefore will hold its dry boiling point much longer. Castrol has a patent on SRF. Also $70 a qt. Amazing stuff.

miketrier
04-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I too used the Valvoline Synpower for several years without any problem. It is reradily available, inexpensive and has high boiling points and low moisture affinity.

tdw6974
04-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Found this nice comparsion chart on Pegasus site http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp...upID=BRAKEFLUID (http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=BRAKEFLUID) The Castrol case of 12 is $859.00 MT600 case of 12 149.99 Wilwood 570 is 139.95 for case of 24 12oz. Seems our crew and driver are ok with the Wilwood as we have had no problems and was Informed (No I was ordered) to stick with Wilwood as we have had no problems and they flush system all the time we also use the full bottle at one time so it does not remain open. I did find At behrents Wilwood at case price delivered to our door for 95.30. I stopped at Ford dealer and we checked their fluid and all He had was the 500. maybe the 550 is being phased out? TW

Black91n/aRX-7
04-10-2007, 12:59 AM
They did change the formula a couple years ago, but you can still find the old stuff at some auto parts stores. I used to be able to get Canadian Tire branded stuff, but I haven't found it the last few times I've been, but they did have some Prestone Ford DOT3 550 degree stuff, although they don't list it on their site. I don't know of where to look for it in the US though.