PDA

View Full Version : A different perspective from a racer's mother

gran racing
03-23-2007, 07:27 AM
I though this was an interesting and very different perspective from the types of reviews my book has received thus far. It’s also pretty funny and I can easily picture what she is talking about. I wonder why? LOL

"Written by Author Marisa De Franceschi. Marisa has been a published author for approx. 25 years now. She is not a car person herself (she's my mother) BUT - she's has to live the last 30 years with one such person.

I have just read Dave Gran’s Go Ahead – Take The Wheel and I have one burning question for Dave: Where were you when I needed you? I am the mother of a Dave Gran clone and have survived many of the trials and tribulation he speaks of in his book. Too bad I didn’t know then what I know now. I have to thank Dave for adding to the understanding of the Road Racing gene in some of our children.

This book answers so many questions. For example: Why would anyone in their right mind take on the challenges of building their own Race Car? Dave has the answer on page 62. If you answer: "Heck Yeah!" to question number 11, "Are you nuts?" then you are a candidate for the grueling job.

He also explains in plain language that the decision to either purchase a Race Car or build you own comes down to facing up to and answering some of the fundamental questions in life such as "Why are we here" and "onion ring or French fries?" And he even graciously warns the reader that taking the latter decision – building the car - will cost you a lot because of the Greek phenomenon called "flushing money down the toilet."

So what did Dave do? You guessed it. Built the car. And my son? Right again. Built the car. I had car parts on my kitchen counters for years on several trial runs and learning experiences prior to the actual race car challenge. It all started with salvaged Webber Carburetors for old Jeeps, and a plethora of other recycled parts, that were mandatory for the Building a Car 101 course, a prerequisite for Building A Race Car 102 course. It used to make me think of those donor cards we are asked to sign for permission to use our spare body parts if they are in running order.

Seriously, however, this is a great book for anyone contemplating racing and it should be mandatory for all mothers of those contemplating getting into the sport. The book is chock full of facts and helpful information. As a Road Warrior’s mother, however, I was most pleased with the reassuring information he gives us. He clearly tells us how well organized, efficient and safety minded the people in this sport are, and he even tells us that statistics show this sport is as safe as "swimming, alpine ski racing and boating…" (page 49) These are words a mother wants to hear. Although I can’t swim, ski and have a great fear of water, I know several people who do and are none the worse for it The book, therefore, has helped with my digestion, heart rate and panic attacks.

Thank you Dave."

Marisa’s son Daniele started a driving club 3 Ball Racing (www.3ballsracing.com) which is dedicated to getting cars on the track. 3 Balls Racing is about getting off the couch, leaving the car shows behind, and getting behind the wheel to make yourself a better driver.

JamesB
03-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Great review Dave. I am sure I could get my mother to read the book, but I am sure she already knows all of that. Nothing says exceptance from your parents when you inform them you are going to start racing cars and their respons is 'at least its not motorcycles."

gran racing
03-23-2007, 09:34 AM
That's pretty funny James - that's the same reaction my mother gave me, followed up by "you're not getting a motorcycle, are you?"

JamesB
03-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Dave that is exactly what others have told me. And part of it is true, I know a few guys who after racing got a road bike. I been there and done that, I raced Motocross as you recall. And at 18 I did have a bike, which my parents where happy I sold.

Funny enough my parents knew it was just a matter of time, money and determination for me to get back into competitive racing. Given that I was already autocrossing, doing track days, and even working at races.

My mom watched my first race, my father came out to watkins glen and they both had a blast and plan to come back out again this season.