PDA

View Full Version : 240z Rear Brake Adjustment

naterolfe
03-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I just purchased an ITS 240 and am currently going through the car to get it ready for the season. My question relates to the rear brakes. My car still has the parking brake which the PO used to adjust the rears between sessions. I'm thinking that I would like to get rid of the parking brake all together to save some weight. Do all you Z-racers keep the parking brake for ease of adjustment or do you all just trash it?

Regards,

Nathan Rolfe

JeffYoung
03-21-2007, 10:02 PM
We run a 260, but same set up. What we have learned (and others can jump in here):

1. You need to keep the parking brake to adjust the drums out during a race.

2. You need to actually be using the rear drums to the point that they are HOT (blue) when you come in. Get an adjustable prop valve and dial in some rears.

3. Carbotech rear shoes are the way to go, but understand that they expand with heat. This means that drums that went on easy when the shoes were new and cool will not go on after the car has been run for a while. We had to turn down new rear drums just to get them to stop binding on new Carbotech rear shoes.

Joe Harlan
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
We run a 260, but same set up. What we have learned (and others can jump in here):

1. You need to keep the parking brake to adjust the drums out during a race.

2. You need to actually be using the rear drums to the point that they are HOT (blue) when you come in. Get an adjustable prop valve and dial in some rears.

3. Carbotech rear shoes are the way to go, but understand that they expand with heat. This means that drums that went on easy when the shoes were new and cool will not go on after the car has been run for a while. We had to turn down new rear drums just to get them to stop binding on new Carbotech rear shoes.
[/b]

Keep the hand brake as you will learn that it is another tool in the race box as far as winning goes. We don't use the Carbotech rear shoe in most of my stuff but I do have a semi met shoe built out here for them. Adjust your brakes before every session and clean the excess dust out of the drums. I do add brake ducts to the rear brakes to aid in cooling them.

kthomas
03-24-2007, 06:53 PM
"1. You need to keep the parking brake to adjust the drums out during a race.

3. Carbotech rear shoes are the way to go, but understand that they expand with heat. This means that drums that went on easy when the shoes were new and cool will not go on after the car has been run for a while. We had to turn down new rear drums just to get them to stop binding on new Carbotech rear shoes."

Werd!

Joe Harlan
03-24-2007, 07:10 PM
"1. You need to keep the parking brake to adjust the drums out during a race.

3. Carbotech rear shoes are the way to go, but understand that they expand with heat. This means that drums that went on easy when the shoes were new and cool will not go on after the car has been run for a while. We had to turn down new rear drums just to get them to stop binding on new Carbotech rear shoes."

Werd!
[/b]

Ron, I don't understand this? Are you reducing the fronts? you can't add more rear brake than the stock master already provides. Are you starting at one place and adding rear brake as you go?