PDA

View Full Version : ProIT SM Tires

backformore
03-20-2007, 11:35 AM
I've looked at the rules, but can't find where it specifically states that Toyos are required for SMs running the Pro IT. That makes me think they are not required.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this question?

Thanks

tom_sprecher
03-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Per the ProIT rules on the Atlanta Region website:

"2.1 SCCA Improved Touring (IT) cars – ITR, ITS, ITA, ITB/ITC, and SM; cars must conform to the ITCS and SMCS, respective."

I don't do SM but if the SMCS specs Toyos that Toyos it is.

jwalter
03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Last time I heard it was open. The SMCS states that regions can spec their own tire. SEDiv speced the Toyos, but the Pro-IT is it's own series.

If you want a definitive answer, and I suspect you do, you might want to ask Sandy Pence. She's the Pro-IT administrator.

Her contact info can be found in the contact info doc: http://atl-scca.org/Documents%20Word/2007/...tact%20List.doc (http://atl-scca.org/Documents%20Word/2007/BOD%20Contact%20List.doc)

tlyttle43
03-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I have checked with Sandy on this issue already. The Appalachian money is contingent on running Hoosiers and Toyos are the spec tire for SM. Therefore, you can run Hoosiers (and get disqualified) or run Toyos and not get contingency money. Bottom line - SMs aren't eligible for the Hoosier money. I think that Pro IT could make SM tires open, but they haven't chosen to do so. I argued against having a Pro IT specific tire rule when they did it for IT7. It effectively requires you to buy a different set of tires from the ones you use in SARRC (and Nationals for SM) just for Pro IT. Maybe they (now) took my argument to heart.

Tom Lyttle

pblracing
03-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Just for kicks (as I am not running SM in Pro-IT) can someone explain to me under what rule SM has to run the Toyo.

Here is what I know.

1) Per the GCR the tire for SM Regional Racing is open

2) Per the GCR a Region can spec a tire for SM, and reference is made to checking the supps of an event for that Spec Tire rule

3) The SEDIV has a list of Regional Class Rules that states that the spec tire for SEDIV Regional Racing is that same as the National tire (Toyo)

4) The Supps for the Pro-IT make reference to the GCR, Fastrack amendements and the Pro-IT Rules

5) The Supps do not refer or incorporate the SEDIV Regional Class Rules that are on the SEDiv website

6) The Pro-IT Rules that include SM reference only the GCR (specifically the SMCS) where the rule listed is the open regional tire rule

SO while I agree that there might be an intent to have the Toyo be required for SM in Pro-IT, I don't see the mechanism that incorporates that rule into the current race. The GCR doesn't require the Toyo, the Pro-IT rules don't require the Toyo and the Supps don't require the Toyo.

The fact that the rule is on a website is not a rule making mechanism authorized by the GCR and I don't see how it applies to this race.

Just for fun as if I were there I would be running Toyos anyway.