PDA

View Full Version : Ground Control Camber Plates for a Rabbit

Sandro
03-19-2007, 08:58 PM
I am planning on getting Ground Control Camber plates for my Rabbit.

Inorder to mount them do you need to cut the lip around the hole off, and then enlargen the whole?

I just want to know because I dont have them yet but I am going to start painting and I just wanted to do as much cutting as I can before its painted.

Thanks

also is the only place you can buy them from Ground Control themselves?

racer_tim
03-20-2007, 10:04 AM
I didn't have to cut anything, but I did have to drill a couple of additional holes. As you know, I installed these from the bottom. Might be different if you install them on the top. I would have to assume that you'd have to cut off the "lip" in order for them to be "flat" on the shock tower.

Grumpa
03-20-2007, 05:07 PM
I installed a pair of GC plates on top of the towers last year on my A1. The flanged lip does have to be removed to facilitate installation. Do yourself a favor and make a couple of copies of the bolt hole template that is included with the kit, as you will need them. Make sure the plate edges/boltholes are parallel before drilling and drill pilot holes to guide the 5/16" drillbit. Measure twice, drill once.

Sandro
03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Tim,
I remember seeing how you did yours but I dont want to do that cause then Ill loose that little bit of shock travel.

Grumpa,
Thanks for the tip. Also did you have to elongate the whole where the strut comes through or did you just leave that?

-Sandro

racer_tim
03-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I choose to install them under the shock tower, since I don't have the welding / fabrication equipment to modify the shock towers.

I also choose the battery version of the AMB transponder, so I wouldn't have to wire it into the electrical system.

KISS has always been my moto.

Grumpa
03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Sandro,
I pondered how to cut the lip off for a little while and came up with the idea of using a 4-1/4" hole saw. I didn't want to use a gas axe or grinder as those methods can put a lot of heat into the metal - too much and you will weaken the tower structure near the plate bolts. The stock strut mount uses two slotted holes to locate the upper bearing and amazingly enough said holes are aligned with big hole in the middle of the tower. Cut a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" thick x 1" wide flat stock that is a little longer than the slotted holes. Measure the center distance of the slotted holes, then lay out those two holes and a third hole that is centered between those two on the flat stock. Find two bolts that just fit the slotted holes and drill the outside holes on the flat stock to fit the bolts, then drill the center hole 7/32". When you mount the flat stock on the bottom side of the tower, put 3 or 4 flat washers between the plate and tower so as not to saw the flat stock and center the 7/32" guide hole in the tower. Get a 1/2" or 3/4" variable speed drill, some oil to lubricate the saw and drill slowly - VERY SLOWLY. The drill should have a grip handle to help keep it from twisting around and breaking your wrist, believe me, the drill will try to do that. Take your time, oil the saw liberally so as not to burn it up. A half round mill file will take the burr off and leave a smooth hole. If you have a deburring tool, run that around the hole after filing, it leaves a rounded edge that won't open up your fingertips or knuckles. If you use this method, measure the outside edge of the lip before you buy the holesaw, I think it is 4-1/4" but don't quote me. Make sure the holesaw is for cutting metal, the ones for wood, plastic, etc will burn up in a heartbeat. Another note, this procedure worked on my A1 ('79) Rabbit, so I invoke the 5th amendment regarding any other Vdub. Baddaboom.

Sandro
03-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Grumpa,
Thanks alot for the detailed description, I understand exactly how you did it, very smart idea.
No problem on the hole saws, between my cage and trailer I have had my fair share of experience with them.

- Sandro

Sandro
03-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Can you only buy them direct from Ground Control?

Grumpa
03-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Sandro,
To the best of my knowledge GC is where you buy the plates. Try Googling "ground control camber plates" and see what happens.

rabbidmk1
03-27-2007, 09:57 AM
I am a GC dealer, but GC limits their dealers to in-person transactions only. This is because they want two things:

A) Great customer service by dealing direct or through a dealer in person.

B ) They want their dealers to be able to handle tech issues or installation if the customer needs assistance. (online shops cant really do that. With the exception of a few that we all know here...)

I have these on my MK3 and I cut the lip off. I have not run the car yet, but paired with my PSS9 coilovers, fitment was a breeze.

Good Luck, Aaron