PDA

View Full Version : axel housing brace

dickita15
03-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I am curious about the sheet metal brace on the first gen rear end. This is the one that bolts to the axel housing just right of center with three bolts. My guess is that it provides reinforcing due to the stress from the watts link.
Two questions:

Seeing as I run a panhard bar and not a watts link is this brace of any value.

And second is this brace part of the watts link and there for can be removed as part of the watts link

dickita15
03-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Gee, no one even has a guess at what this thing is for.

Speed Raycer
03-20-2007, 04:55 PM
It's been a while since I've seen one, but IIRC it's nothing more than a heat sheild for the brake lines

ddewhurst
03-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Dick, is that the razzel dazzel piece that mounts to the rear of the axle on the right hand side over the brake line ?

dickita15
03-21-2007, 03:57 AM
yes David. the rubber mounted piece of sheet metal.

duh I never thought of it being just a heat shield. could that be true?

tom_sprecher
03-21-2007, 08:25 AM
If it's the one that's about twice the thickness of a beer can it's gotta be a heat shield.

joeracerx95
03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
I think it is a shield for the brake line, but not for heat. It looks like Mazda routed the brake line on that side away from the exhaust for obvious reasons. However, by doing that the line was then in harms way from road debris. I think they put the shield on it for that reason because 1) you don't mount a heat shield in rubber and 2) it's way thicker metal than it needs to be if it were only keeping heat away (compare it to the heat shield for the gas tank right next to it).

I just spent a lot of time staring at that thing last week asking myself why I shouldn't take it off. After coming to the conclusion above and knowing my propensity for off-track excursions, I left it on. :P

-chuck-

ddewhurst
03-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Shield that has weight. Think 2280 pounds. ;)

dickita15
03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Chuck, I bet you are on to something. It really is a lot thicker than I would expect a heat shield would be thinner and I can see how backing into a rock would crimp the line.
I cleaned and painted it and bolted it back on with the rest of the rear end overhaul, but David is right. It is apparently useless weight which is the reason I asked in the first place. If I can think of a rationalization for legally taking it of I will.

joeracerx95
03-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Chuck, I bet you are on to something. It really is a lot thicker than I would expect a heat shield would be thinner and I can see how backing into a rock would crimp the line.
I cleaned and painted it and bolted it back on with the rest of the rear end overhaul, but David is right. It is apparently useless weight which is the reason I asked in the first place. If I can think of a rationalization for legally taking it of I will.
[/b]

Let me know if you think of a justification because while I was under the car staring at it, I didn't think of one. But then I'm new to IT.

-chuck-

ddewhurst
03-21-2007, 06:06 PM
The more I think about the bracket the more nuts I get. (Some think I'm allready gone.) Guys, first someone needs to get the OEM/Mazda name for the bracket & then WE may determine the legality of removing the bracket, caugh, weight.

***I can see how backing into a rock would crimp the line.*** Said with tongue in cheek & :rolleyes:

IIRC the brake line is on the rear side of the axle on the left hand side. Don't anyone back into rocks on the left hand side. ;) I will guess there is a other reason than heat/deflected stones that the bracket is thick, mounted with three bolts including steel sleeves & rubber. My bet is that there is sone frequency sound that eminates from the axle without the bracket. :o

If we keep ths thread going sooner or later the LURKES will set us straight with some well founded facts. :D :lol:

Speed Raycer
03-21-2007, 08:06 PM
[T in C] Its the shipping camber bracket. I remember seeing it's description in an obscure Mazda document. Removal of the brace allows the rear housing to obtain the factory's intended camber for street use (1-1.5 deg. neg). Dealers were supposed to remove it before the owner took delivery. [/TnC]

mustanghammer
03-21-2007, 11:32 PM
BRACKET? We don't need no stinking BRACKETS!

joeracerx95
03-22-2007, 03:55 PM
The more I think about the bracket the more nuts I get. (Some think I'm allready gone.) Guys, first someone needs to get the OEM/Mazda name for the bracket & then WE may determine the legality of removing the bracket, caugh, weight.
***I can see how backing into a rock would crimp the line.*** Said with tongue in cheek & :rolleyes:

IIRC the brake line is on the rear side of the axle on the left hand side. Don't anyone back into rocks on the left hand side. ;) I will guess there is a other reason than heat/deflected stones that the bracket is thick, mounted with three bolts including steel sleeves & rubber. My bet is that there is sone frequency sound that eminates from the axle without the bracket. :o

If we keep ths thread going sooner or later the LURKES will set us straight with some well founded facts. :D :lol:
[/b]

I just checked the 81-83 and 84-85 parts catalogs. I don't see it in the rear axle section (2600A).

-chuck-

I just checked the 81-83 and 84-85 parts catalogs. I don't see it in the rear axle section (2600A).

-chuck-
[/b]

Oooh, oooh, I just realized what I just said. They aren't in the OFFICIAL MAZDA PARTS CATALOG! That means they don't exist as far as the rules are concerned. Remove away boys. :023:

-chuck-