PDA

View Full Version : Which diameter of quick disconnect...

JeffW
03-19-2007, 07:40 AM
... do I need for the steering column of my 1st Gen RX-7? It looks like a 3/4" shaft when I pull the horn button off. I want the right size disconnect in hand before I strip everything off the column. Would like this to be a one-time event.

Thanks,

Jeff

Greg Amy
03-19-2007, 08:03 AM
What steering wheel do you have? Sounds like you also need a wheel adapter.

If you're running a Momo or Sparco, many companies - such as http://www.ltbmotorsports.com - offer bolt-on adapters and quick disconnects.

There are a couple of threads on this subject elsewhere, but I personally do not like weld-on adapters (I've seen them fail), plus I think technically they're illegal (do a search). - GA

Wreckerboy
03-19-2007, 09:18 AM
+1 on the LTB stuff mentioned by Greg. I've been using it in the Miata for the last two seasons and much prefer the splined unit over the hex types - less slop and play. That, and it is a simple bolt on, with none of the welding issues.

Plus, Lou's customer service is first notch, and he's a racer as well.

dickita15
03-19-2007, 11:59 AM
the shaft is very close to 3/4". it took just a little filing for the 3/4 adapter to slide on.

ddewhurst
03-19-2007, 02:32 PM
IIRC the thread/diameter is the same as your wheel nuts. The bolt on Q.D. for a 1990 Miata & RX-7 are the same size.