PDA

View Full Version : Getting VW Golf Ready for School Part 1

RSTPerformance
03-18-2007, 04:52 PM
In our Audi's we have Disc brakes on the front and drums on the rear. We don't have many options when it comes to aftermarket "race" pads (Portafield and Carbotech). We have run both and are more pleased with and run Carbotech brakes in the front. On the rear we run stock shoes.

With a budget in mind what would you suggest for a VW Golf (ITB) with Front/Rear disc brakes and no bias or anything fancy?

Can you run a race pad in front with stock pads in the rear?

What pads are available and what is the cost/performance/longevity of them?

Raymond

Knestis
03-18-2007, 08:39 PM
We run Hawk Blues on the front of the MkIII and stock rear pads (discs) with great success. They last for ages - like we can run the VIR 13 and not change them.

K

msogren
03-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Napa sells a Raybestos rear shoe that is "lifetime". They work well and wont peel. The VW original is real good also.
I used to put a Napa sticker on the car and sweet talk the owner into replacing the shoes every 1/2 year . Worked out for me. MM

itracer
03-18-2007, 09:16 PM
We run Hawk Blues on the front of the MkIII and stock rear pads (discs) with great success. They last for ages - like we can run the VIR 13 and not change them.

K
[/b]

Ditto on this -- Never any brake porblems with this set-up on my VW.

Dave Zaslow
03-19-2007, 04:11 AM

K
[/b]

And another vote for this combo. Worked well on my Rabbit and works well on the Golf III. Bildon has the Hawks. Make sure the slider pins are in good shape for the calipers, and the wheel cylinders for the drums. These are cheap parts.

Dave Z

JamesB
03-19-2007, 07:46 AM
If your running a stock bias MK2 I would still say hawk blues fronts and the cheapest least grippiest rears you can find. That way the rears with start to fade very early and you wont lock the rears at the turn 1 heavy breaking.