PDA

View Full Version : Fire Systems

JimLill
03-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Looking for something better...... pro's and cons?

CaptainWho
03-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Big pro is that a fire system is "fire and forget" ... pull/push the release and it does its work while you worry about getting out of there.

But, based on what happened to Righty at Rockingham, if it's a remote release system, and you have safety pins on the release end and the fire bottle end, make bloody well sure your pre-session procedures include making sure both have been removed. :-)

JimLill
03-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Good reminder..........

I guess if I put one in, I'll wire in a safety light that if the pin is in and engine is running, I get a light on the dash...

Anyone have any thoughts on type and size for an ITB Golf?

tom91ita
03-18-2007, 08:06 PM
i went with this in part due to ease of recharging:

http://www.essfire.com/2_3_liter.php

i will either buy a refill or hope there is someone at the track that has one.

i am concerned about an accidental discharge (control the smirks).

ddewhurst
03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
***what's the best step up from a handheld extinguisher***

Jim, I am curious as all get out why an experienced racer would be looking for info on a hand held fire extinguisher. If you are one of the people that has a system for a real fire & a hand held for something that you might call a minior fire I might understand.

JimLill
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
***what's the best step up from a handheld extinguisher***

Jim, I am curious as all get out why an experienced racer would be looking for info on a hand held fire extinguisher. If you are one of the people that has a system for a real fire & a hand held for something that you might call a minior fire I might understand.
[/b]

I didn't think I used convolutional English on that....

"what's the best step up from a handheld extinguisher"

Step up from.....

I have a Handheld 2.5#..... I want to step up from that to a system...........

Z3_GoCar
03-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I've got a 4.0 liter SPA Firesense AFFF system with four nozzles, cable acctuated and it sits on the floor of the passenger seat. Since your in a sedan and don't need arm restraints you could take the cotter pin out of the safety pin, but leave the safety pin in untill you need to pull the cable. Actually, I leave the safety pin in too as it's not too hard to loosen my arm restraint and reach for the pin first. The other benefit is that all the kids will think you've got a Nos system :) I found it at Bimmerworld, but have since found that HRP carries them too. Re-fill's like $86 from HRP.

James

JoshS
03-19-2007, 05:28 PM
James, you can't go out on the track with the pin in. I've been checked many times on pre-grid, I'm surprised to hear that you've gotten away with it.

9.3.22.A.5: "The firing safety pin(s) shall be removed from all on-board fire systems prior to going on-track."

Z3_GoCar
03-19-2007, 06:41 PM
I don't know Josh, I guess it was just hidden in plain sight. :blink:
I have gone out with the pin out, but stopped when no one said anything to the contrary.

James

x-ring
03-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Around here it depends on how many people there are working tech that day. If there are enough we send a scrutineer down to the false grid to give the cars a once over before they roll out, and fire system pins are something we look for.

ddewhurst
03-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Sorry Jim, my reading did a Duh.