PDA

View Full Version : Engine removal

ray50
03-18-2007, 05:50 AM
I am going to be removing the engine from the 944S in the next few weeks - All the information I have states it has to come out from the bottom of the vehicle - Seeing as I do not have a lift in the garage this could be difficult - Can engine come out from the top? Any advice will be appreciated - Thanks in advance

924Guy
03-18-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that it can... might just be a little more work than out the bottom. I hope you're not just relying on the Haynes manual for this R+R?

loopracing
03-18-2007, 12:57 PM
The engine can come out the top. A few more things need to be done though. The clutch and bellhousing should be disconnected and the radiator should be removed. The engine needs to come up and forward to clear.

ray50
03-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info - I have the 944 Porsche manual on a disc I got a couple years ago for the S2 carbriolet - I did check the Haynes manual which I have little faith in and it said out bottom - Radiator needs to come out any way so might as well try out the top -Thanks again - hope to be on track mid June

Tom Donnelly
03-20-2007, 04:34 PM
I could be mistaken in this, if so, somebody correct me.

First take out the transmission. Once its out of the way, you'll need to pull the driveshaft tube back
in order to remove the clutch and bellhousing. You'll also have to puzzle the driveshaft tube back by
twisting it so that it can clear some sections in the tunnel. It can be done on a car thats just up on
jackstands, but its an accomplishment. And remove the radiator.

The factory manual shows a removal from below procedure, but not everyone has a lift, so take it out
the top.

Tom

Team SSR
03-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Some good info in the shop manual section here: http://www.clarks-garage.com/

We found it easiest to use jackstands and come out the bottom, even though we have a lift and a cherry picker. I think most that prefer to take it out the top don't want to remove the crossmember which requires you to recheck your front suspension settings.