PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a leaking jack - bleeding a jack?

Ron Earp
03-17-2007, 08:30 AM
I've got a Sears aluminum/steel jack that is about a year old, maybe a bit more. It leaks down when used. Does anyone know the bleed procedure for these jacks, or the procedure to fix this issue?

I can't imagine it is complicated but I don't have any documentation for the jack, although will see if I can find it on the Sears site.

Thanks,
Ron

mustanghammer
03-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I've got a Sears aluminum/steel jack that is about a year old, maybe a bit more. It leaks down when used. Does anyone know the bleed procedure for these jacks, or the procedure to fix this issue?

I can't imagine it is complicated but I don't have any documentation for the jack, although will see if I can find it on the Sears site.

Thanks,
Ron
[/b]

Me too. I am on my second one of these jacks. The first one bled down and I was able to get it replaced under warranty. The one I have now starting bleeding down a year after I got it so I bought an other jack from Harbor Freight. Since then craftsman jack #2 has "Exxon Valdez'd" the floor where it sets. A true POS. Don't buy one of these jacks.

Knestis
03-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Same unit (sounds like) and the same problem. Getting back to Sears has been on my to-do list for a long time...

K

joeg
03-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Bleeding probably will not fix it.

It needs to be rebuilt--seals.

Get a HF cheapo. Actually good value there and I am also the owner of a pricey PACE jack.

Ron Earp
03-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Starting to think the same on the HF jack. My HF jack is about 6 years old, looks like hell, but has zero problems. I have two of the Sears jacks, one is okay the other is toast. Anyone have the bleed procedure? Seems I remember something about loosening the fill plug, pumping the jack until zero air bubbles shows up, and then refilling?

R

Greg Amy
03-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Wow, I have the exact opposite problem: one good Sears jack I've been using constantly for two years, and two HF jacks in various pieces in the attic 'cause they can't stay together (free to a good home, or even a bad one...)

charrbq
03-17-2007, 11:32 AM
I've had/have both. They were each built by Al-Quiada terrorists and may detonate at any time...usually whenever the stress of a quick tire change is needed. I've tried repairing each when they went titsup and found that they are best repaired with a new replacement. Unless you have big bucks for a really spiffy one, it's a lot easier. I keep a fresh one in the shop just for when one dies a sudden death.

CDS
03-17-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm on my second, and last, Craftsman also. On the first one the hole in the bottom end of the handle was slightly larger than the stud it fit over, and it eventually rounded the stud off. Shoddy quality control. To Sear's credit, they gave me a new one (this was a couple of years ago, I believe the return policy on jacks has changed now and all they will do is repair them).

The one I have now needs to be bled after it has sat for a while. I take the fill plug off and pump the handle through several complete strokes until the bubbles stop coming out. Fixes the problem until it sits unused again for a while.

I also learned the hard way not to transport it on its side. It took a while to get the air out of it after that.

kennyr7
03-19-2007, 11:07 AM
My brand new Sears jack leaks everywhere. II don't think it's a bleed-down issue, rather the seals are blown... Considering the online reviews on the Sears website, it seems to happen alot.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...=TOOL&ihtoken=1 (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00950239000&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Lift+Equipment&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1)

jhooten
03-19-2007, 03:56 PM
My craftsman is crap too. I wonder if they are covered by the craftsman lifetime warranty.

CDS
03-19-2007, 04:15 PM
My brand new Sears jack leaks everywhere. II don't think it's a bleed-down issue, rather the seals are blown... Considering the online reviews on the Sears website, it seems to happen alot.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...=TOOL&ihtoken=1 (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00950239000&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Lift+Equipment&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1)
[/b]
Wow, wish I'd seen that before I bought. Every reviewer gives it the worst possible rating. Kinda surprised Sears left it up. I'll probably try the HF unit when mine dies.

JeffYoung
03-19-2007, 04:46 PM
No lifetime warranty on the Craftsman jack.

However, I fix them all the time. when they start sagging like my grandma's tatas, I just hit them repeatedly with a hammer until they stop. Working altogether that it is,a nd then I fix the situation by going and buying a new one.

Presto! Working jack!

Lael Cleland
03-20-2007, 09:52 AM
i have seen a snap-on "RACING JACK" die in 3 months. i have had luck with my 2500lb HF jack, exept the u joint fell apart.

JeffYoung
03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
During down time at school, we fixed the jack.

Unscrew bleed cap. Fill, and then pump jack to down position. Fill to rim. Replace bleed screw and tighten, and then loosen until fluid can just barely escape. Raise jack up slowly. SOme fluid will escape. At top of range of motion, tighten bleed screw.

The last couple of steps are important. Just pumping the jack with teh screw off won't do it.