PDA

View Full Version : SUSPENSION SETUP/HANDLING BOOKS

bldn10
03-14-2007, 09:40 AM
What is/are the best book(s) on suspension setup and handling info that translates best to underpowered sedans like ours? It's about time I learned how to make my car handle.

ddewhurst
03-14-2007, 11:49 AM
How To Make Your Car Handle x Fred Puhn

Tune To Win x Carroll Smith

joeg
03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
How to build And Modify a Big Block Chevy.

Eagle7
03-14-2007, 07:46 PM
How to build And Modify a Big Block Chevy. [/b]

Wohoo! Turn that wimpy RX7 into an overpowered sedan. :023:

bldn10
03-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Preferably something written post-radial tires, McPherson struts, etc., and for stock-frame cars.

Domino
03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Preferably something written post-radial tires, McPherson struts, etc., and for stock-frame cars.
[/b]

I own "How to Make Your Car Handle" and although it was written in the time period you are trying to avoid, it won't matter. Vehicle dynamics and physics are the same irrespective of the period in which it was written. Read it cover to cover and you will know why. Actually the book takes several readings. I still refer to it from time to time.

ddewhurst
03-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I second what Mark says about reading suspension books more than once. I own both books that I posted above & several others. The two above are real straight forward reading without a lot of theroy. After reading/understanding the thougts of How To Make Your Car Handle a person can fill in the finer details with the book Tune To Win. Neither book is going to be layed out in layered steps for your specific car.

Tune To Win also has a section titled: Table of Handling Characteristic Causes and Effects. I have a smaller flip booklet maybe 3 inches by 6 inches that has these same Causes & Effects which works well at the track for a quick check/reminmder. If ya ain't got it in yer head ya need it someplace.

The best book anyone can own after understanding the two books above is: Ass feel, hand feel & mind association x yourself. ;) Please don't anyone take this ^ comment to be smart ass, some people have minimal feel/mind association to set up their own race car.

Greg Amy
03-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Don Alexander, "Performance Handling."

Andy Bettencourt
03-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Greg Amy, "How to Drive a Car that Doesn't Handle" or his most recent piece, "How to Make an Egg Fly".

Joe Harlan
03-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I have never found everything I wanted in one book, The list of books so far is a great start. I have one in the shop and I can't remember the author but i will post it later. Covers most of the same basics but has a pretty decent section on shocks which is hard information to find.

Edit: http://www.insideracingtechnology.com/

This is the website for the same book I was thinking of. Great information and great website along with the book.

lateapex911
03-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Greg Amy, "How to Drive a Car that Doesn't Handle" or his most recent piece, "How to Make an Egg Fly".

[/b]

Well, he DOES have the handling on the straights pretty much figured out, eh?? ;)

Racecar Engineering, the English mag, is pretty cool, albeit expensive.