PDA

View Full Version : My Nuts Are Worn Out

tom_sprecher
03-13-2007, 03:09 PM
The strut nuts on the 1st gen RX-7 are worn out and rusty. What did you think I was talking about? I run Tokico BZ1086 inserts. The nut on the right is the old one and the other one was a spare that came with the car but will not work. The threads are too long and the ID is too small.

Anyone know where and what part number for the one on the right.

TIA

tom_sprecher
03-14-2007, 09:20 AM
I edited the post above to correctly indicate which one was the old one and to make sure I could tell my nuts apart. ;)

dickita15
03-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I am interested in what you learn Tom, when I was running Tokicos I used the stock nuts. I am now using Konis so the strut is custom.

tom_sprecher
03-15-2007, 09:46 AM
I talked to a guy a Mazdaspeed this morning and he did not know where I could get the one on the right. He actually had a strut nut from a Bill Duncan in WA who had sent it in looking for a similar piece for running Bilsteins. He gave me his number and I will call to see if he knows where he got the existing nut.

Dickita15, the guy at Mazdaspeed said he has nuts for running Konis so give him a call. Also, do the stock nuts look like either one above?

Thanks,

dickita15
03-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Dickita15, the guy at Mazdaspeed said he has nuts for running Konis so give him a call.
[/b]
Hmm that is odd, seeing as the Konis use a custom strut how would Mazdaspeed even know what thread my strut would take. My buddy who built the struts made the nuts as well.

Also, do the stock nuts look like either one above?
[/b]
The stocks nut looks like the ones in the picture. Tom if you pm me your snail mail address I will gladly mail you a couple of stock nuts.

lateapex911
03-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I think Susko (G-Force engin.) makes struts for the Koni inserts, so he might be a knowledge source as well.

dickita15
03-16-2007, 05:11 AM
I did not think Susko actually makes the struts. The plans for them are in his book though.

ddewhurst
03-16-2007, 02:27 PM
First off this post needs to start with a disclaimer. I may be wrong or I may be right & in all reality I really don't give a shit what many of you think because I am attempting to help Tom. If you don't like to read my posts please say good by NOW.

Tom, I have given this post several days & there don't seem to be much help with YOUR worn out nuts. I went to the garage to look at a OEM insert retaining nut from a 1985 RX-7. Looks VERY similar to your picture on the right. Following are some dimensions. My GOOD 1985 RX-7 OEM nut definitely is not your nut on the left.

Thread diameter is 1.648 inch.

Thread length including the unthreaded portion above the thread is .419 inch from top surface. (unthreaded portion is .095 inches long)

Hole diameter is .960 inches.

Small counter bore inside diameter is 1.030 inch x .425 inch from top surface.

Large counter bore inside diameter is 1.304 inch x .222 inch from top surface.

Please let us know how this nut measures to your nut.

My car has modified struts for Bilsteins therefore the nut is totally different.

tom_sprecher
03-16-2007, 02:53 PM
David,

Those are indeed the exact measurements of my nuts and appreciate your taking the effort to help me out. Once discovering that what I was looking for was the stock nut I contacted Mazdaspeed only to find out the nuts are not sold separately but only as the complete strut so I'm SOL on that front.

I will continue to search for a source of new nuts but for now the bone yard or sympathetic donors will be my sources.

Thanks again for your help and for what its worth I think your right and for the most part we all try to help out when and as we can.

dickita15
03-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Tom
I dropped a pair in the mail to you this morning. I actually sent the one from the Tokiko struts that came out of the car when I went to Konis. They were the easiest ones to take off. I have more stock struts lying around if you have anymore issues.

joeracerx95
03-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Tom
I dropped a pair in the mail to you this morning. I actually sent the one from the Tokiko struts that came out of the car when I went to Konis. They were the easiest ones to take off. I have more stock struts lying around if you have anymore issues.
[/b]

Thanks goodness we got this guys nuts straightened out.....Wait, that's not what I meant.

-chuck-