PDA

View Full Version : Z Pilots - Clutch Recommendations

Ron Earp
03-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Well, looks like I might be racing the 260Z this season (a good thing I think, it didn't try to kill me at the Rock!) but I think the clutch is on the way out. Whole system is weak feeling and bleeding/replacement of parts doesn't help.

What do you folks use for clutches/pressure plates? OEM? Or are there better alternatives out there? Are they needed?

Thanks much,
Ron

x-ring
03-12-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm sure Katman knows better than I, but I've been using an OEM clutch all along.

So far no complaints, but then I've had bigger things to worry about than the clutch. :o

pballance
03-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Katman recommended a different clutch, but my notes are at home. I will see what I can find later today and maybe the Z guru will read this himself :D

Paul

Parrish57
03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Ron... I'm glad to hear that the Z performed better. I didn't have such good luck. I broke 3rd gear and limped around the last half of the race.

The clutch question is a matter of how much do you want to spend. I used to use a Centerforce One. It was bulletproof reliable. However, if you want higher performance you gotta spend the bucks. There is a custom clutch assembly that will cut the weight in half. Expect to spend upwards of $800 to get one. If you are interested pm me and I'll find a contact number for you.

Steve....57 ITS

Ron Earp
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey Steve,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a failure. We got to see the race and you still looked fast!! Car sounds fantastic!

The 260Z did okay, I managed a 1:11.xx which I think is fine considering I've not driven an IT car in well over a year. I forgot about how much work it is to drive an IT car, those Miata guys do not know how easy they have it. And the 260 is fairly far behind on the development curve. However, the wheel bearing did not fail, hot damn!

I'll PM you on the clutch and investigate. But I think right now a lower priced alternative will be a better fit. The car has a henious push and that is hampering times, as well as the driver who won't hold it to the floor in the oval. Traqmate says there is a lot of time in those two issues.

Centerforce I assume is much better than OEM? I'll check them out.

R

kthomas
03-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Centerforce - Yuk!.

We've used everything from a custom D.L.Potter 800kg pressure plate with Nismo bronze puck disk to stock disk with Zoom pressure plate. Here's the issues as I've experienced them.

The stock pressure plate will eventually break the straps. A pressure plate has about 3 places along the sides where there's a set of straps that attach the stamped outer plate to the center section that contacts the disk. Stock has 2 straps per location. They bend under engine braking and eventually buckle, then at next power application they snap. Clamping force adequate, but the straps are the weak point.

The Nismo comp pressure plate has 4 straps per location as I recall. Very tough. Very expensive now.

The el cheapo solution is a Zoom clutch kit from Advance or somewhere like that that carries the Zoom package. Last one I bought was $89 and included pressure plate, disk, throwup bearing, and a tool. Throw everything away but the pressure plate. Very nice piece, 3 straps per location. Good enough to win a couple of ARRC's.

The disk I prefer is a Nismo Comp organic part. I've seen pieces break off of the stock part, and I don' like what the solid comp disks do to the flywheel or the rest of the drivetrain. I'll try to get a part number and availability for what I'm talking about. Not too expensive.

You really don't need anything fancy, but you do need 3 strap minimum on the pressure plate. Clamping foce isn't really an issue, unless yer cheatin'!

JeffYoung
03-13-2007, 10:50 AM
THanks K. So, get the Zoom kit for the car and keep the pressure plate and then use the NISMO clutch and throwout bearing?

kthomas
03-13-2007, 02:36 PM
From Riley Curtis, Lynchburg Nissan (1-800-443-2117):

"These two items(among many others) were removed from Nissan Motorsports's inventory and placed into the Nismo program due to them fitting 240SX's.

Nismo disk p/n 30100-RN225US whlsl currently $120.02 , normally $171.88
Nismo Pressure Plate 30210-RN600US whlsl currently $198.53, normally $262.50
These items are currently on a special pricing program "until inventories are depleted".

Riley will often give wholesale to racers, expecially if they claim to be "friend of Keith". You won't find a more knowledgeable source for old Z part than Riley.

The pressure plate isn't as bad as I thought, I'd proly keep one on the shelf for high hp street cars or your move to EP.

Right, we used the above disk with the Zoom pressure plate (eventually, because I think we sold the Comp pressure plate), and always with factory stock throwout bearing.

Ron Earp
03-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks a lot, that is a great help. I'll order those tomorrow AM, stuck at gymnastics class right this moment. For all I know those are the parts in this car (it has a long history and some parts of the car are extremely well done) but the clutch stuff is feeling a bit weak right now.

Did you guys ever know this car in Atlanta? That is where it came from. 260Z, silver in color, had a orange/red air damn when first built. Showed some 1:44s in the data books at Road Atlanta from the 90s, maybe a bit faster but I can't remember right now. Have to look in the logbook at the owner history.

Ron

Ron Earp
03-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Gave Riley a call and got the stuff ordered. Really nice fellow!! Comes out ot IT races from time to time, and has a 260Z of his own. Thanks for sharing that source, he's interested in racing and will be a great help in the future.

Best,
Ron

Tom Donnelly
03-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Keith,
What's wrong with the centerforce clutch? If I'm not mistaken, both my motors came with
centerforce clutches. I never had a problem with them. I do use the stock throwout bearing.
Not sure what disk is in there. All that was Jim Thompson stuff.

Tom

kthomas
03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
If a Centerforce came from a Jim Thompson car it must have been because Thorman talked him into it.

If it's the pressure plate with the little weights on the fingers then it's marketing hype. Plus I've seen the weights interfere with the fork or disk marcel, I forget which. Regardless, marketing hype. At first glance it sounds like a good idea, but if you really look at the installed geometry and load invovled it don't do diddly/squat, and its just more stuff to break.

But hey, if it's working, the cheapest thing to do is keep it. Just not my cup-o-tea.

Tom Donnelly
03-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Keith,
Thanks. I'm not sure what's on the new car, I haven't looked. The old car had a centerforce clutch. My old car had been through Jim then Larry then a sunbelt motor then me. No telling where it all came from.
The new car was Larry Luke's, then Larry Stepp's, then me. No telling there either. The centerforce does have the weights on the fingers. I wasn't sure what that was about.

Ron,
Your car belonged to a fella named Jim Dunn. Lives in Flowery Branch, Ga. Right near Road Atlanta. I believe he's in the PCA as well, has a 914 I think. He and I were in the same Savannah drivers school.
The car was silver with a pink / orange air dam with yellow mirrors I think. The car was built locally, I don't know who ran it before Jim. He used to post here as JimD.

Tom

ITZ34
03-15-2007, 09:43 PM
We've used a Centerforce 1 for about 5 seasons without any problems. May not be the best, but it works in our car. Just ordered a Centerforce 2 today. It's supposed to be a little better