tnord
03-11-2007, 11:18 PM
mylaps is up.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=190125

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=190481

what is ITM?

R2 Racing
03-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Bill, noticed you DNF'd on Sunday. Is the RX7 ok?

Saw one ITR car on Saturday. Very good.

Looks like ITA had some good races for the top spot.

lateapex911
03-12-2007, 09:11 AM
what is ITM? [/b]

I'm guessing it's actually a typo, as one of the pictures next to a driver from ITM is of an ITB BMW, and ITB is mysteriously missing form the reults in all groups, and the times are ITB-ish as well.

bldn10
03-12-2007, 09:18 AM
ITM is IT Memphis, a catch-all class we have here to maximize car counts. Similar to SP. I don't know why Pete ran his nice ITB E30 in ITM. McLain was driving a semi-tube frame Z06 Vette that he also ran in GT1, and St.Clair was in a Sentra w/ a big wing that he usually runs in SPU.

I was having an annoying noise in the RF all weekend under hard braking and it was getting worse. Al Murdock (ex-Mears SpeedSource RX-7) were having a great race, back and forth as we usually do, and I was on his tail going into our esses (we call it the "M"s) and braked hard and the car darted to the right and felt like the wheel had come off or spindle broke or something bad. Blew threw the Ms and stopped and asked a corner worker if I still had all wheels on. I did and did another lap but it just felt wrong so I quit. Afterward the wheel and rotor looked fine so I don't know what it is. I'm going to pull the hub and check the inner bearing, etc. Thanks for the concern, Kevin.

tnord
03-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm guessing it's actually a typo, as one of the pictures next to a driver from ITM is of an ITB BMW, and ITB is mysteriously missing form the reults in all groups, and the times are ITB-ish as well.
[/b]

Pete usually runs an ITA E30 325e.

glad to hear everything is relatively ok bill.

looks like i better get to work if i want to keep up with Mac.

IPRESS
03-12-2007, 09:59 AM
As always Memphis was a blast. The main reason is THE FOLKS WORKING THE EVENT & all the other racers.
You won't find a better bunch of people to run with or to help you get through a race weekend. "Movie Star Phil" and all his fellow race workers are the tops as far as a "what can I do to help you" attitude. It was nice to have Toni up from SEDIV helping out, that lady knows how to keep a race day straight.
As far as the IT racing..... It was great since I didn't see anything much get torn up. Other then waiting on grid for cleanup on Saturday (Those dang OIL dropping Prod & GT cars) everything went off with out a hitch. Including the world famous MEMPHIS Bar BQ Saturday night at the track.
Roger Johnson (a Memphis SM convert to ITA) and I had a great battle in our miatas on Saturday. We passed each other several times and the race came down to me making a mistake in the Ms and Roger getting a good run coming into the Double 90s. I could see his nose on my inside in my mirror about at the back of my door and rather then braking and turning in I went off track so as not to get hit. (Actually it is in the parking lot part of the track so I never left the asphalt just got off the designated track.) I got back on his tail through Grant's Tomb and had a little run toward the checker but could only get to his back fender.
Roger has really improved his driving and deserved his top spot. From talking to the other ITA guys there were some good battles going on all over the track. At Memphis, it is really important in our cars to be away from the S cars when you get to the Ms & 90s. (We can go through them much faster, but are dead meat on the straights.) Roger was able to get past an S car on Sunday and win by half a straight. I had a great Sunday Q session and gridded up in the S cars. I was able to hold position for a couple of laps, but I went into the Tomb way too hot and almost hit the wall. Roger and two S cars got by and the rest of the race was just a situation of me trying to be smooth and hope Roger made a mistake.... It ain't gonna happen at Memphis. He got better as it went along, and my car ran a little hot so I started short shifting.
Fun race both days.

Two observations, (This one cannot be helped & I understand) ITE basically just shortens the other IT cars races. And I think I would weigh 185 (I go about 225) on MMPs scales! :D

THANKS to all (including the old SM gang who helped me this weekend.)

Mac

charrbq
03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Your first paragraph says it all about racing in Memphis, Mac. I've never known a more friendly and helpful bunch of people that are so much fun to race with. A few years ago, when the national office moved from Englewood to Topeka, the licensing department got way behind, and I was one of those who got passed over. They couldn't legally let me out onto the track without a license, and, as irritating as that was, I was understanding and cool about it. They went to the trouble of phone calls, faxes, forms, travel, etc. just to allow me to race. I swear they may have even had something to do with the tow truck holing its engine on the front straight. In the time it took to clean up and get another tow truck in, they barely made it back with my necessary forms, and I got to grid scratch from the back of the field.

Needless to say, I thanked everyone I knew that was involved for the maximum effort. They all let it roll off like it was all in a days work that they enjoyed doing. :023:

CDS
03-12-2007, 12:51 PM
And I think I would weigh 185 (I go about 225) on MMPs scales! :D
[/b]

That's the truth! :P After qualifying on Sunday I weighed exactly my minimum weight, to the pound. While I would like to claim that it was all part of my carefully planned master strategy, in reality I'm not nearly that good and it was just dumb luck. I expected to be 20-25 lbs over at least.

+2 on the workers, great event, thanks everyone!

CDS
03-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Just curious, does anyone know the IT lap records at MMP?

Turkflyer
03-12-2007, 07:11 PM
In ITA, Mac and Roger were in a world of their own...the rest of us were slugging it out in other places. On Saturday, I got punted into the grass at T2 on the first lap....spent the whole race catching up. On Sunday, Roger didn't qualify, so started from the rear...and went screaming thru the pack. Great driving! Mac did a great job too. Fun weekend, and I learned a lot.

bldn10
03-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Sorry, Pete, nice ITA.

Current IT lap records:

ITS 3-22-97 Chris Collins RX-7 1:18.456
ITA 3-25-01 Bob Stretch 240SX 1:20.398
ITB 10-17-04 Chris Albin Golf 1:21.630
ITC 5-25-03 Gareth Rebstock CRX 1:23.264
ITE 3-11-07 Andy Wolverton 944T 1:13.372
ITM 3-21-99 Trip Goolsby 911T 1:11.368
IT7 3-11-06 James Stevens RX-7 1:22.735

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. We really lucked out on the weather!

FireballPhil
03-13-2007, 11:08 AM
I agree with Bill's comments. Thanks for all of you kind words. We try to make this fun for everyone. We had a couple of issues this weekend but nothing to hold back the racing. One of the main items is that the track ran out of Sunoco 104 Unleaded fuel about 830 Sunday morning. It was at that time that I found out that Sunoco no longer refines the 104 and is going to replace it with 98 Unleaded. And I assume that this is going to happen at other tracks as well. Just a heads up.

Phil

dj10
03-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Sorry, Pete, nice ITA.

Current IT lap records:

ITS 3-22-97 Chris Collins RX-7 1:18.456
ITA 3-25-01 Bob Stretch 240SX 1:20.398
ITB 10-17-04 Chris Albin Golf 1:21.630
ITC 5-25-03 Gareth Rebstock CRX 1:23.264
ITE 3-11-07 Andy Wolverton 944T 1:13.372
ITM 3-21-99 Trip Goolsby 911T 1:11.368
IT7 3-11-06 James Stevens RX-7 1:22.735

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. We really lucked out on the weather!
[/b]

Hey, you forgot ITR. :D

tnord
03-13-2007, 12:57 PM
what model ITR was it?

R2 Racing
03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the concern, Kevin.
[/b]
Looking back, I suppose I should've asked if you were alright too, and not just the car. :D

Were all of the ITA cars ex/current SM's? Seems like it.

"ITA 3-25-01 Bob Stretch 240SX 1:20.398 "
Damn, five years old. Sounds beatable. Maybe I should've gone afterall. :023:

IPRESS
03-13-2007, 02:12 PM
May sound beatable (and probably is) but that was back when the old black 240 was a rocket. Bob did pretty well everywhere he went with that one. The long (dragstrip) straight kills the miata, and the Ms and double 90s even it back up. That old 240 was probably the right combo.

tnord
03-13-2007, 02:17 PM
i bet a couple GOOD ITA maitas drafting together could beat it.

Turkflyer
03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Not sure....Mac and Roger couldn't do it. I don't think any of the rocketship SM cars ran that low either. In ITA there was also a Neon. The rest were Miatas. An ITA BMW ran ITM.

tnord
03-13-2007, 03:47 PM
i don't think either of those are fully built to ITA specs either.

if the SM's are in the 21's, i bet 20 flat is possible for an ITA miata under the right conditions.

charrbq
03-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Just between you and me and everyone else, Kevin...you could probably beat it. The 240 was extremely fast, and I've never known Bob to not drive it as fast as it would go, but that was in '01 and a lot of delvelopment has been made to a lot of cars. If you recall, in '01 an Integra was not the fast car it is today.

I've had big cars with big motors take me in the straight at Memphis easily, but I was all over and by them in the tighter parts with a faster lap.

You should try to make Memorial Day at Memphis. It's ususally just as big a race and always just as much fun. :023:

R2 Racing
03-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Just between you and me and everyone else, Kevin...you could probably beat it. The 240 was extremely fast, and I've never known Bob to not drive it as fast as it would go, but that was in '01 and a lot of delvelopment has been made to a lot of cars. If you recall, in '01 an Integra was not the fast car it is today.[/b]
Agreed. Remember that the best track record time Bob ever ran at the ARRC in his 240 has since been beaten by a bit.

You should try to make Memorial Day at Memphis. It's ususally just as big a race and always just as much fun. :023:
[/b]
I'd consider it if I wasn't going to be up in Michigan that weekend at the tightest and twistiest track I ever go to, Grattan Raceway, trying to not get my ass kicked by CRX's.

charrbq
03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Well, there's always next March at Memphis. The beer will be just as cold, the barbeque will be just as good, and the people will be just as friendly and helpful. :D

BlueStreak
03-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Not one ITB car? :blink:

Where was everybody?

And what was Pawley driving?

My car came off the frame machine yesterday :026: , so hopefully I'll be at MMP in May!

Eddie

shwah
03-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Patrick moved North.
Chris Albin was not running.
I couldn't make it down.

That's 3 ITB cars, and obviously you couldn't make it either.

Real surprising to see that donut next to ITB though.

bldn10
03-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Pawley was in a final-generation Supra that he has raced here before in ITE. I think it is an old World Challenge car. It wasn't as fast as I'd have thought.

Talking about the ITA record, the achievement of Chris Collins in ITS in 3/97 becomes more impressive w/ every passing event. His 1:18.454 has stood up against supposedly faster BMWs and all my efforts, the best being 1:18.698. Al Murdock in an ex-Mears SpeedSource RX-7 was 2/100 under the record in qualifying in 10/04 and has been close a few times, but Chris is still the ITS king. And the amazing thing is that he did it on Toyos!

BlueStreak
03-15-2007, 07:27 PM
I was wondering if Pawley brought the Supra or the IS300....thanks.

oh how things can change in a day - Memphis in May is now questionable

Heatpump just ate the race budget for 07 :( Current low bid is $7k :blink:

AND the Wife is going to meet our major med deductible for 07 in one surgery tomorrow :unsure:

Oh well, there's always next season ;)

Eddie

PeteK
03-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Pete usually runs an ITA E30 325e. [/b]

Yeah, it was a tough decision not to run in ITA, but I plan on running mostly NASA events this year and I didn&#39;t want to potentially take away anyone&#39;s year end points. <_<

I knew that I would get my butt kicked in ITM, but I actually had a lot of fun racing against that guy in the 2002 Nissan on Saturday. He disappeared in the middle of the night, and I have no idea what happened to him for Sunday&#39;s race.

The black Vette t-boned a viper in the 90s on Saturday during the T1 race. :bash_1_: Did a lot of damage to the front of his car, but he had it back out for ours. (Un)fortunetly he spun off in carousel right at the beginning and spent the whole race watching the rest of us. I think he also had car problems during Sunday&#39;s T1 race and was MIA from the ITM group. So by default I won on Sunday, but I had a lot more fun with the green ITA Neon at the beginning of the race and the yellow IT7 car at the end.

This weekend, I&#39;m renting the car out so I won&#39;t be IN Sunday&#39;s race, but I&#39;ll be at the track. Stop by if you guys are in town for it! B)

charrbq
03-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Was that the same Black Vette that pucked its coolant in Turn One last May that caused me to slide off into the gravel? I almost made a mess of my driver&#39;s suit when that happened. I&#39;ve never had a car just come out from under me like that. I thought I&#39;d broken something major.

PeteK
03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Was that the same Black Vette that pucked its coolant in Turn One last May that caused me to slide off into the gravel? I almost made a mess of my driver&#39;s suit when that happened. I&#39;ve never had a car just come out from under me like that. I thought I&#39;d broken something major.
[/b]

I remember that! I think I was behind you when it happened. But I this is another black corvette. I&#39;m pretty sure the one that had all the trouble last year was the one with the tube frame (red?) chassis. It&#39;s the flat black car with a really wide fiberglass nose. The one I&#39;m talking about was more of a production car with shiny black paint.

Did anyone take pictures of the races? I have a couple from Mark Weber, but neither Vette is in those shots.