PDA

View Full Version : looking for input

dickita15
03-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Has anyone had any experience with tracks that take any extraordinary precautions to prevent automotive fluids from leaching into the soil in the paddock? Do any tracks require you to put down tarps, or limit fueling or bleeding brakes to specific areas?

Please do not turn this into a speculative thread I just need a little hard information for the good of the sport.

Greg Amy
03-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Not directly relevant, but useful comparative info.

Before every flight, fuel samples are taken from sump drains in the bottom of the tanks of light aircraft. The purpose is to verify the type of fuel (via smell and dye color) and to look for any evidence of water (water will bubble to the bottom of the sample jar.)

This takes about 3-4 ounces of fuel out of each check point. Pilots usually don't want to put this potentially contaminated fuel back in the tank, so back in "the old days" we'd just hurl it out onto the tarmac; it would evaporate virtually immediately.

However, these days the EPA and most states' DEPs prohibit such activity. All require that the fuel either be recycled back into the tank (through a filter) or disposed of properly into a waste/reclaim tank/drum. There have actually been reports of EPA (or was it state DEP?) officials witnessing folks throwing these few ounces of fuel onto the tarmac, and the small airports were shut down for decontamination as a result. Many airports, especially older ones and those that evolved from military bases, have grounds that are are highly contaminated.

If one were to be working on, let's say, approvals for a new race track and there were concerns about ground water contamination of hydrocarbons (and lead!), I'd suggest that refueling - and maybe even other activities involving the possibility of spills, such as oil changes - be limited areas specifically designed to handle any such spills. I'm no waste containment expert, but these precautions could include concrete-lined areas with proper drainage towards vessels specifically designed to collect and filter any hydrocarbon wastes that may spill.

Some interesting reads on the subject:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/airworkgroups/docs/wps/NA005_fin.pdf
http://www.aopa.org/asf/hotspot/fuel_check.html
http://www.nifc.gov/ihog/chapters/2006chapter13.pdf

...and many more...

bhudson
03-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama wants leakers to be black flagged immediately and contaminated oil dry is vacuumed off the track instead of being swept to the grass. This is partly due to its proximity to the river that provides drinking water for Birmingham. Having seen the vacuum in action, I wish every track had one like it.

The track management in years past kept a really close eye on spills in the paddock.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region

dj10
03-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Not directly relevant, but useful comparative info.

Before every flight, fuel samples are taken from sump drains in the bottom of the tanks of light aircraft. The purpose is to verify the type of fuel (via smell and dye color) and to look for any evidence of water (water will bubble to the bottom of the sample jar.)

This takes about 3-4 ounces of fuel out of each check point. Pilots usually don't want to put this potentially contaminated fuel back in the tank, so back in "the old days" we'd just hurl it out onto the tarmac; it would evaporate virtually immediately.

However, these days the EPA and most states' DEPs prohibit such activity. All require that the fuel either be recycled back into the tank (through a filter) or disposed of properly into a waste/reclaim tank/drum. There have actually been reports of EPA (or was it state DEP?) officials witnessing folks throwing these few ounces of fuel onto the tarmac, and the small airports were shut down for decontamination as a result. Many airports, especially older ones and those that evolved from military bases, have grounds that are are highly contaminated.

If one were to be working on, let's say, approvals for a new race track and there were concerns about ground water contamination of hydrocarbons (and lead!), I'd suggest that refueling - and maybe even other activities involving the possibility of spills, such as oil changes - be limited areas specifically designed to handle any such spills. I'm no waste containment expert, but these precautions could include concrete-lined areas with proper drainage towards vessels specifically designed to collect and filter any hydrocarbon wastes that may spill.

Some interesting reads on the subject:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/airworkgroups/docs/wps/NA005_fin.pdf
http://www.aopa.org/asf/hotspot/fuel_check.html
http://www.nifc.gov/ihog/chapters/2006chapter13.pdf

...and many more... [/b]

LOL, I've thrown many a oz's of aviation fuel on the tatmac. On another note about global warming, I hope it's true! It's damn cold here in PA. Did you guys see where the global warming conference was cancelled in WDC? Was cancelled due to an Ice & Freezing weather!! HONEST!! :D Where is the fuel going that is spilled on the asphalt?

dickita15
03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama wants leakers to be black flagged immediately and contaminated oil dry is vacuumed off the track instead of being swept to the grass. This is partly due to its proximity to the river that provides drinking water for Birmingham. Having seen the vacuum in action, I wish every track had one like it.

The track management in years past kept a really close eye on spills in the paddock.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region
[/b]
great info Bob thanks.

anybody else

ewaugh
03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
The paddock at Barber's is watched for spilled (it's asphalt.) They also tell you that if you do spill to tell someone so they can clean it up. They do have a "waste center" for oil, gas, and brake fluid and the end of the paddock also. They may vaccum it, I don't know, but I've driven through oil-dry on track once before.

Dave Patten
03-09-2007, 07:42 AM
This is not track related, but is a rule in place with the New England Hilclimb Association.

38. Any driver that has any kind of fluid spill at the top or bottom of the
mountain is responsible to clean the spill up immediately. Containers of oil
absorbing material, a broom and dustpan will be in place at the top and
bottom of the mountain. It is the driver’s responsibility to dispose of the
used material. All cars will have a large trash bag in the car to bring
material down from the top. If spills are not cleaned up the driver will not
be allowed any more runs.

This group uses paved mountain access roads that are generally on public lands. One particular site has had complaints from locals about oil stains on the pavement. I beleive one year the organizers implimented a supplimental rule that required impermiable barriers under all cars while they were parked in the paddock.