PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Pro style ITV?

msogren
03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Is there any interest in a pro style of ITB VW class?? This could include weight adjust ments and class management to keep the racing close.
Rules ; 1)10- 1 pistons for all(A1 A2, A3)
2)specific cam spec profile. "legal" IT( all heads)
3) Open cam timing(advance or retard)
4)Golf throttle body only
5) balance the weights to equalize cars A1 , A2, A3. The A2 is the baseline car, A3 may need about 100# in
6) post race tech will always include, cam , compression, throttl ebody, head thicness, weight.
Liven up the racing by giving cash prizes to pole qualifier, 20$ and 25#
Flip a coin for the fast 6 for start. Pay out some cash to all, the front car gets 40#
Done right , this could bring back the ITB cars a bit and be fun. Class stickers, year end prize and all that stuff.
What say??
Mike Ogren

rabbidmk1
03-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I think ITB is fine the way it is. Flipping a coin for the fast 6 also sounds questionable. Fastest should be up front, not someone who gets luck of a coin flip... Also, who is going to get paid to do the post tech?? All for a $20 payout. No thanks.

JamesB
03-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Exactly, I am happy running ITB, I dont need a VW cup race.

msogren
03-08-2007, 10:58 PM
So your idea of a good race weekend, is qualifying out front, driving away from the pack and sticking the trophy on the shelf?? I was young once.
I raced Street stocks on a 1/2 mile track. I ran pretty well. The feature race was supposed to be 25laps. The checker dropped in about 18 laps. The guy in charge said to slow down and make it a race, as it was too booring. from then on , he pulled me out of qualified starting spot and stuck me at the back. I still won a few races and the track title. (Spencer Speedway, 82 or 83)
Most important, it was a lot more fun for me and the fans loved it. Close racing sells and is a lot more fun than driving around , in your place, for 40 min. Spec Miata and Spec racers Ford , etc . it is all about the racing. not what you race.
If you think that 5 Golfs and maybe 1 A1 car should follow around a A3 Jetta. than that is fine. But if you really want to have fun, and learn to race, not drive, race, than the tighter the pack , the more fun you will have. Driving fast is easy, racing well , less so.
If you want ot take it to the next level of excitement , class managed cars are it.
FWIW, the 20$ is just for the pole . The entry fee would be divided among the group. And maybe invert all of the cars in the same second as the pole car.
I could make the tech logistics, The cam checker and the head guage, bring the boroscope. etc. it is pretty easy. Esp if you announce the valve cover is coming off. I think that EMRA did that a few times , the cars slowed down some and ran nicer.
Mike Ogren

JamesB
03-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Racing in my region thats not the norm, you have a few volvos, 2002s and a pesky alfa that just wont let you walk away from them. I just dont see the need to reinvent the cup race even if it crosses multiple chassis. All 3 chassis are still highly competitive in ITB and I would rather race with 18 people then 5.

msogren
03-13-2007, 09:44 PM
I would try to run as a subset inside of ITB with SCCA or Emra Or NASA,etc. That way you still race with the rest , but the VWs will be a lot closer togther.
In the next year, we can try this in the SE, if some dubbers want to put up some cash to see who is the best racers.
Mike Ogren

shwah
03-14-2007, 08:21 AM
In our region most of ITB is VW anyway. It is an interesting idea, but I just don't see the need from my point of view.