PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Definitive Opinions on Track Tires

Feffman
03-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Good Day All:

Well spring and track day season are fast approaching and I've got to get new track tires. For a number of years I've run the Kumho Ecsta DOT-R compound but am finding a wider variety of improved chocies today.

Here are my choices for near stock size for my Cadillac CTS-V.

Yokohama Advan A048 or Advan A005
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
Pirellis P-Zero Corsa
Toyo Proxes RA-1
Hankook Ventus Z214 or Ventus RSS Z211
(Ventus RSS Z211 is a bargain but being discontinued)
Kumho V710 or V70A
Nitto NT01
Hoosier R6 or R3 S05
(R3 is a good bargain but also being discontinued and I've heard it doesn't work well with heavier cars)

I'm a little concerned about a true slick (Yokohama Advan A005 or Hooiser R6/R3) as the loading in the bearings could be detrimental. This is, after all, my street car too. Other then the discontinued Hankook Z211 ($710), the tires for a set of four range in price from $890 - $1,220.

I've read a variety of stuff on each tire, but wanted some driver's inputs on grip (old Kumho Ecsta gets a little greasy on extended runs) and wear but no definitive answer.

Any help and valuable opinion is appreciated. Happy Motoring!

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer
www.MVPTrackTime.com :eclipsee_steering:

lateapex911
03-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I wish I could offer intelligent opinions, but thats a large list. And I'm not a track day guy....at least not in a large FWD sedan. (My track day car is a 2300 pound 911, on Kuhmos)

That said, i've seen the Michelins on larger cars, and they seem to have a good rep. (the newer GT3 911s are in the 2800 - 2900 pound range, and the rear tires get some serious loading...the Porsche guys seem to like their Michelins, though) The Hoosiers will be great, but you might heat cycle through them pretty quickly. They can last up to 12 heat cycles (some say!) before serious time degredation, but lots of guys use them for much less.

Toyos have a great folllowing among some of the Spec Miata crowd for lasting and lasting, while still being a decent handling tire, but a SM is a LOT lighter and differently balanced car than yours.

Well, that doesn't help much I'm sure...sorry!

Andy Bettencourt
03-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Remember all the cars in Speed World Challenge run the RA-1.

JimLill
03-08-2007, 10:06 AM
I wish I could offer intelligent opinions, but thats a large list. And I'm not a track day guy....at least not in a large FWD sedan.
[/b]

It's RWD

The CTS-V in WC series runs RA1

275/35-18 on 11" rim F
335/30-18 on 12" rim R

lateapex911
03-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Oops, my bad...I'm still thinking about the old Cads. Sorry!

Feffman
03-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the valuable input all.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

Black91n/aRX-7
03-09-2007, 10:14 PM
For non competetive track days I'd go with harder tires. So no Hoosiers, 710's or the like. Stick with stuff that'll last a season, like the RA-1. They're widely praised for long life, feedback and so on, just not for ultimate grip (although they do grip well). I've read many good things about the NT-01, no need to shave it and it's otherwise similiar to an RA-1, but fater. I know a guy who apparently goes through a set of Michelin PSP's in a 2 day weekend on his E46 M3.