PDA

View Full Version : 944 Steel Control Arms - Welding/Boxing ?

nsxgoalie
03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
All,

I do not want to spend the extra money in upgrading to Aluminum control arms for my 85 (early). I know the stock steel arms are not the best due to further investigation of my stock steel arms they have a couple of small cracks by the sub frame mount point (car had upgraded weltmister bushings that cracked).

But given I can buy new (Steel) ones for less than $60 delivered, then to have them re-inforced I think this is the path best for me. I race the 944 in ITS and NASA 944 Cup and PCA which all allow the reinforcement of the stock part.

My question is has anyone increased the welds, ie Boxing the control arms for their Steel Control Arms?

Does anyone have a picture of what they did to make the arms stronger?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
ITS #89

Greg Amy
03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
My question is has anyone increased the welds, ie Boxing the control arms for their Steel Control Arms?[/b]
No modifications to the stock parts are allowed.

Zero. Zilch. Nothing. Nada.

None.

lateapex911
03-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I think PCA specifically allows alternate control arms in the 944s as they are a known weak point. Thats the advantage to running a category with limited models allowed. I'm not sure what NASAs take on it is. Certainly for their marque 944 series I'd imagine they'd allow it. But for larger categories that have a hundred different models listed, allowances like that can lead to wild repercusions. As such, SCCA IT allows no mods to that component.

nsxgoalie
03-07-2007, 01:11 PM
All,

Thanks for the input I did find it in NASA rules as i could modify as well, I guess for now I am going to have to inspect the new ones for any signs of wear while I race in SCCA ITS w/ unmod'd steel arms.

See you all at the track,

Eric

anthony1k
03-07-2007, 10:59 PM
As others have said, SCCA does not allow any kind of modifications on control arms. PCA and NASA are more (not surprising) accomodating. Reinforcing the control arms can lead to failures in other places if the arms become too rigid.

In your case, with the steel arms, you are in much better shape than those with later aluminum units. Start with OEM parts or at least German made units. Inspect the arms for stress cracks, especially around welds, before every event. Change the ball joints every 5 or so events. Change the arms every 15-20 events and you'll be fine. I've been running on reinforced steel control arms (ITE, retrofitted from aluminum) for over three seasons with zero issues.

924Guy
03-10-2007, 09:07 AM
I've been running with the steel arms for going on 8 years now. After having bent a few, I'm actually really quite glad that mine are unreinforced and bendable. Why? Having tagged the wall a few times - my can is still straight (enough). Being able to peel the arms off (and in fact I think I've replaced all 4 control arms, front and rear, on my car) seems to help protect my can from getting seriously tweaked. I'm not so sure that'd be the case with reinforced arms.

YMMV...

Team SSR
03-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Plus they are the only part on a Porsche, from Porsche (sort of) that's actually cheap! :)

Just keep an eye on them... like all race car suspension pieces.