PDA

View Full Version : Non racing help needed...

lateapex911
03-06-2007, 12:45 AM
OK, I have a 528e from 89. I know, I know.... ;)

It's actually an OK car, I got it for next to nothig, and it's got suspension techiques springs, bars, dampers, etc, it;s lowered, with 5 spoke rims. But the engne...well it made sudden banging noises.

So.....what to do?

1- Just bolt in another old 528e engine that probably runs, like the donor in my shop I picked up for $100.

2- Hot rod the 528e engine with.....????

3- Find another donor motor from BMW that actually revs and is nearly fun that bolts right in...or nearly so. Trouble is, I don't know what that would be.

4- Piss off everyone and drop in an old Chevy 350.

OK, I need some advice from you BMW experts!

Further info. ...obviously the car is worth next to nothing, even running, so bolting in the new V10 aint gonna happen. And I hate wrenching on street cars, so complicated swaps requiring actual intellegence and lots of time aren't in my future either. I'll just drop the $100 engine in it and dump it.

Thoughts? Is there a good web site/forum that I should go to? (Where they won't laugh REALLY hard at me?) Is there a good/easy way out? Or am I screwed?

gran racing
03-06-2007, 07:54 AM
How many freakn' cars do you have Jake? A 944, 911, the RX7, pick-up truck, and this BMW. Any others?

Option 1 - then get rid of that car! You're worse than me. :blink:

eprodrx7
03-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Junk that shit pile along with "the Van" . Jake, have you looked in your back yard lately? Even spending time thinking about this is an absolute waste. Gas+match=problem solved... :dead_horse: :bash_1_:

BTW yes it is cold here :snow_cool:

buldogge
03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
How about a M50/M52/S50/S52 VANOS motor swap. Not terribly difficult...probably $2-6k depending on what motor you choose to go with. Buying a wrecked '93-95 325/525 or '95 M3 (I picked up one recently for $2500) would get you 90% of the parts.

As much as you hate to go there, there should be plenty of info over on bimmerforums...

Good luck.

OK, I have a 528e from 89. I know, I know.... ;)

It's actually an OK car, I got it for next to nothig, and it's got suspension techiques springs, bars, dampers, etc, it;s lowered, with 5 spoke rims. But the engne...well it made sudden banging noises.

So.....what to do?

1- Just bolt in another old 528e engine that probably runs, like the donor in my shop I picked up for $100.

2- Hot rod the 528e engine with.....????

3- Find another donor motor from BMW that actually revs and is nearly fun that bolts right in...or nearly so. Trouble is, I don't know what that would be.

4- Piss off everyone and drop in an old Chevy 350.

OK, I need some advice from you BMW experts!

Further info. ...obviously the car is worth next to nothing, even running, so bolting in the new V10 aint gonna happen. And I hate wrenching on street cars, so complicated swaps requiring actual intellegence and lots of time aren't in my future either. I'll just drop the $100 engine in it and dump it.

Thoughts? Is there a good web site/forum that I should go to? (Where they won't laugh REALLY hard at me?) Is there a good/easy way out? Or am I screwed?
[/b]

lateapex911
03-06-2007, 11:37 AM
How many freakn' cars do you have Jake? A 944, 911, the RX7, pick-up truck, and this BMW. Any others?

Option 1 - then get rid of that car! You're worse than me. :blink: [/b]

OK, ok...

the RX-7/truck/trailer is ONE vehicle, we all know that, LOL.. ;)

The BMW, old street car, blew the motor.

the 944...possibly sold.

the 911...gonna hang onto that.

the rest? classified. ;)

Looks like the BMW might be a parts sale car at this rate!

How about a M50/M52/S50/S52 VANOS motor swap. Not terribly difficult...probably $2-6k depending on what motor you choose to go with. Buying a wrecked '93-95 325/525 or '95 M3 (I picked up one recently for $2500) would get you 90% of the parts.

As much as you hate to go there, there should be plenty of info over on bimmerforums...
Good luck.
[/b]

I figured that might be the go-to forum, LOL. They hate me there! (let's hope they've forgotten my name .. ;) )

Junk that shit pile along with "the Van" . Jake, have you looked in your back yard lately? Even spending time thinking about this is an absolute waste. Gas+match=problem solved... :dead_horse: :bash_1_: BTW yes it is cold here :snow_cool: [/b]

John, do you REALLY want to go here Mr Box o nuts?? ;) Who just helped you pack up your sorry collection of....well, as I said, do you really want to go there? (And remember, half the items you mentioned I don't actually OWN,!) (Hows unpacking that trailer going??)

chuck baader
03-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Just bolt in an "i" motor with the ECU, drop in a 3.90 rear gear and have lots of fun :eclipsee_steering: Chuck

lateapex911
03-06-2007, 02:12 PM
OK, Chuck, if I read you, you mean search the junkyards and find any 6 cylider motor from, say a 325i, make sure to get the ECU....and harness(?) and I'll be OK? It'll just bolt in and fit?

Are there any restrictions on years etc? I think mines an 88. What are decent sources for used BMW motors? (Better if in the NE)

gran racing
03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Mr. "I don't have time to get my racecar ready in time" is going to work on another time consuming project? Get rid of the car Jake!!! :P

Doc Bro
03-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Jake, I've got a 98 2.8l, auto trans, ECU, harness and ignition and key (for the ecu/ ews security system) all in CT that I'd be willing to part with. I've thought of a similar conversion (e30) that I probably won't do.....

R

eprodrx7
03-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Hows unpacking that trailer going??)

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh I'm about 1/4 into it and I need to use the trailer to go get the Miata :o Oh yeah its also 13 deg out so its lots of fun doing anything outside. For those that don't know I moved my whole world from CT to upstate NY and my pal Jake helped. Thanks again Jake. ( :dead_horse: )

lateapex911
03-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Hows unpacking that trailer going??)

For those that don't know I moved my whole world from CT to upstate NY and my pal Jake helped. Thanks again Jake. ( :dead_horse: ) [/b]

LOL.....your whole world, one bolt at a time!!!! Too funny looking at that trailer ....how do the new people like the house?? Think they will EVER get the smell of gear oil exorcized?? ;)

mlytle
03-06-2007, 09:22 PM
get a 3.3l or 3.5l 6cyl from a 5/6/7 series of the same vintage. will drop right in. think the engine designation is m30. any other engine will require some custom fabrication.

you could do an s38 from an 88 m5 or m6, but you don't want something that expensive....

chuck baader
03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Upstate New York!!!!! I am soooooo sorry...will be 70 degrees here today :eclipsee_steering: Road Atlanta in two weeks....shovel a snow flake for me, please :D

Actually the 3.5 motor makes excellent sense as those cars were available as a 528 or a 535. Bolt in, but will need the 535 exhaust and such. The "i" motor is also a bolt in except you will have to use your old oil pan and your old exhaust, etc. Motors around here are available from 600 to 900 bucks. Chuck

dj10
03-07-2007, 09:23 AM
LOL.....your whole world, one bolt at a time!!!! Too funny looking at that trailer ....how do the new people like the house?? Think they will EVER get the smell of gear oil exorcized?? ;)
[/b]

What kind of transmission do you have and do you want to use it with the new engine? I like Marshall's Idea or Dr Bro's.

lateapex911
03-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys!

Doc Bro, thanks, and that sounds great, but it's WAY too nice for this car! And likely it's worth way more than I should even think about!

The car has a 5 speed as delivered. I expect there will be exhaust mods, and I happen to have an extra oil pan.

I did locate a 89 325i engine, 99K miles, out of a wreck, with new timing belt for an ask of $699.

Would I need to source an ECU for it? Harness?

I will look for the 3.3. and 3.5 variants from that vintage as well. Do they require matching ECUs?

Doc Bro
03-07-2007, 01:11 PM
[

I did locate a 89 325i engine, 99K miles, out of a wreck, with new timing belt for an ask of $699.

Would I need to source an ECU for it? Harness?

Jake, only if you want it to run!

R

gsbaker
03-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Only two real choices: either the 350 Chevy or a used BMW motor with a Dinan blower. ;)

lateapex911
03-07-2007, 02:03 PM
My goal with this car rests between the two extrems of the last posts...I want it to , ummm, run...as in roll on it's own power, but it won't ever need to run Dinan blower speeds!

I will look to source any motor WITH an ECU...

chuck baader
03-07-2007, 02:09 PM
"i" motor should come with a complete engine harness...at least they do here. ECU will be extra, and be sure to add a chip...a dramatic improvement. Make sure motor is from a standard transmission car....3 cars used different pinouts in some of the connectors for automatic cars. Other than that, verify what ECU number you have compared to what you get with the "i". Chuck

lateapex911
03-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Cool...seems like the best idea would be to get a 535i motor from as close to the right year as possible, and certainly within the E28 series range, and an ECu for a 5 spd. So far I have located a couple of those combinations locally, looks like the combo will run me 500 -600 or so. I'll check in to them more closely.

I'll add a chip if I can get it all running well first!

pfcs49
03-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Use whatever engine you want and use an aftermarket ECU, megasquirt, whatever-they're so much easier to tune and always make more power-everybody knows that and wants one Jake, really! phil

lateapex911
03-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks Phil