PDA

View Full Version : What happens during silly season

emwavey
02-27-2007, 11:30 PM
So it was two years ago this upcoming March that I finished my final driving school. Not just the last driving school, but the driving school that had me at pole position for the mock race, and the driving school that had me placed first in my class. Yeah that was two years ago - already! How time flies.

This is significant in the amount of sillyness I've experienced this particular off-season. Since my off-season really started almost two years ago. Throw in 2 children, ages 2.5 and 5 months, daycare costs, off-season car maintenence, ITA weight changes, and all of a sudden two years.

It was yesterday that my daughter Amelia and I were building a miniature snow man, about 6" high, not 6' high (Spinal Tap), and it was yesterday that I started the CRX for the first time in about 6 weeks. As per usual after a long spell of not being started, the CRX wanted to start first twist of the key, but just didn't quite make it. Sure enough after a short blip of the key it fired right up. Finally, the electrical gremlins and starter issues are solved... suppose I shouldn't have type that. Out of the garage it sat, at idle. The white smoke cleared to non-existant, and those old feelings welled up inside, and the joy and love of motorsport was rekindled.

As the car sat idling, Amelia and I threw snowballs, well actually more like snowpebbles onto the sidewalk, watching them disintigrate into even smaller beeds. Amelia threw underhanded, and I resisted my need to show her how to throw like a guy... afterall she's only 2.5. I rested comfortably in my decision to watch her throw a few times and joyfully absorbed the image of a small jump/throw to see the palm sized wad of snow fall to the ground 6 inches in front of her.

After about 20 minutes, it started getting dark. Dinner-time approached and the car needed to be put away. I knew that pealing my daugher away from this winter fun would be a chore, so I appealed to her intrinsic driving interest with an invite to ride in "daddy's racecar". No luck. I examined the possibility of backing the car 30+ feet into the garage, but with the seat on the floor, literally, and with my short-statured daugher, bent down and unpredictable, this option didn't feel right. So by force and with a bit of kicking and whining, my daugher finally succumbed to the passenger seat of an ITA CRX, the yellow one. She likes yellow.

We backed in, and she wanted to go forward. So we went forward to the end of the driveway, about 60 yards or so. We sat, and she expressed an interest in making a right out of the driveway for a little ride. As much as I would have loved to do this, even with her securely strapped in, this wasn't an option. So back to the garage, and off I turned the key.

Amelia reached for the shifter, I encouraged, but said, "only when mommy or daddy is in the car, OK?"
She had a hard time reaching so she climbed into my lap.

"Daddy, turn it."
"Turn the key?" I responded as I pointed to the ignition.
"Yeah Daddy, turn it."
On the car went again, up and back again, finally to come to rest.

"Want to drive?"
"No daddy, your steerin' wheel"
"OK"

Needless to say, like just about any activity, it's hard to pull away. It was dinner-time and the car was finally parked, and will most likely stay that way for at least another month. Hopefully to be driven onto the trailer for a much grander g-force experience. However, even only traveling less then a mile up and back in the driveway, I wouldn't trade my silly season duration for the world.

I have two beautiful children and eventually, I'll be back.

It wasn't too long ago, that I raced at VIR, the grande course. 4.1 miles, and 33 (or so) turns. The first race on my novice permit I have on tape. I finished next to a competitor across the finish line. It was exilarating.
An even shorter time ago, I just about had the CRX sold. I was going to sell the whole lot, take a loss, financially and purchase a 540 BMW for track-day duty and family hauling. Finally, my wife whom I love offered her opinion after months of hearing my "brainstorming". "David, do you really want my opinion?" Bracing for the worst I said of course. "I think you should keep the race car".

I get chills when I think of how good I have it.

It's silly.

Gregg
02-28-2007, 12:34 AM
As someone who got into racing because he sat on his dad's lap, many years ago, and was given the honor of pushing the starter button of his very loud, cherry red XK120 race car, I know where you're coming from.

I was there for your school, I was there for that weekend at VIR, and hopefully I'll be there when you make your return....with Amelia as your crew chief.

lateapex911
02-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Wow...great post. Makes our rules squabbling and bickering seem as silly and insignificant as it is! Thanks!

ddewhurst
02-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Dave, I am in total sink with you & your 2 1/2 year old daughter. My grand daughter will be 3 May 2nd. She loves to ride with me in the truck because her seat is in the front up high where she can see everything as compared to when with her mom or dad when her seat is in the rear seat of the wagon or sedan & she can only see the door panel or the back of the front seat. With the motor off, she loves to steer, shift & has asked about the pedals. Every chance she gets when I release her seat belt & walk to her side of the truck she scoots to the drivers side & stand & steers. Then it's a game to get her out.

Enjoy your children because they are short for such a little while.

Racerlinn
02-28-2007, 01:50 PM
I get chills when I think of how good I have it.
It's silly.
[/b]

Dave,
It's so not silly.
These are our greatest of chills and I look forward to more of them myself. Like you, I completed my drivers school 2 years ago. At the time my daughter was 5 and my son was about to turn 8. Marissa has always enjoyed the car, even before it transitioned from Solo car to race car. One night during the winter before the drivers school, the car was going back up on jackstands. Marissa was in the garage with me and knew the drill. As I was getting ready to take the lugs off with the air gun, she popped up and asked if she could try. She weighed all of 35 pounds (very petite) and could barely hold the gun. But we got up on the lugs and with a little help from me, she instantly became my Head Crew Chief. Two years later, she's a little bigger and she can do the job all by herself. She takes great pride in her work gloves.
Chills.
I have been lucky to have some racing success. The Regional race following my double school, I had a great battle with a Miata and made a last turn, last lap pass to take the ITA class win that day. My first race, my most exciting win ever.
Chills.
About 3 years ago, we also become owners of a Junior Kart for my son Robby to Solo. He was still 7 and could not compete yet at events, so we went and practiced in parking lots on our own so that he would be ready to go at his first official Solo (which the entire extended family came to see). As he progressed thru his rookie season, we slowly took the restrictors off the throttle that I had installed to make sure he did not get over his head. Many of our friends at the Solo events happily blew me grief for holding him back and cheered at each event when he got to go faster. By then end of the season he was unrestricted and had full throttle. And I began to witness the fact that he had developed a real feel for the kart and was able to catch some lurid twitches and slides, much to the amazement of a lot of people.
Chills.
And now that Marissa is 7, we have just invested in a second kart so that both kids have their own. We're going to follow the same program of practice and restrictors for Marissa over the next year that we did with Robby. And I'm ready and waiting....for those wonderful Chills.

shwah
02-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Great post Dave.

My 2 year old loves nothing more than 'driving' dads race car. Standing in the seat and turning the wheel back and forth. I just always make sure that the kill switch is off and remember to check the wipers/lights/ brake bias, before starting it back up.

I expect that our 5 day old son will learn similar habits from big brother.

Of course this dynamic continues to push the importance of finding an economical motorhome to replace the van as a tow rig. Air conditioned space is a great thing to have when babies are taking naps at the track.

CDS
02-28-2007, 05:49 PM
+1 Dave, and Steve! I'm really looking forward to similar moments in the future with my now 14 month old daughter, and hopefully she will want to do the karting thing.

keycom
02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Not silly at all.

Great stories!

Kids are great, give us perspective.

But grandkids are even better, we get them for such little pieces of time, that they are all precious.

:smilie_pokal:

gran racing
03-01-2007, 07:53 AM
That was a really nice story Dave. I love hearing my friend's son sing his made up race car songs, point and say "Daddy's car!" and "Dave's Car!". Although, I was a bit concerned with just how much amusement he had saying "Dave's car go boom." It's pretty amazing the impact kids can have. Even when I was very upset with totalling my car last year, I couldn't help but smile hearing him say that.

JamesB
03-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Youngins are a trip, my nieces are 50/50 on the racing, one loves it the other doesn't like how loud it is. My friends son loves to use the roll cage as a set of monkey bars and stand on my seat making racing noises. I told him one day if they come up ill take him out on touring laps with his parents OK and put in my instructor seat for that lunchtime. He went nuts when they said later this summer they would come by and let him.

Racerlinn
03-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Although, I was a bit concerned with just how much amusement he had saying "Dave's car go boom." It's pretty amazing the impact kids can have. Even when I was very upset with totalling my car last year, I couldn't help but smile hearing him say that.
[/b]
Dave, you're not alone. I missed a shift, over-rev'd the motor and popped some rockers off my first season.
Now, everytime I get ready to go to grid, my son gives me a wry look and a smile and reminds me to "not blow up the car, dad".

R2 Racing
03-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Cool stories. My family just got it's first grandchild 3.5 weeks ago when my brother had a little boy. He's already got some sweet racing and car orientated clothes and everyone's already saying how much he's going to enjoy going to see uncle Kevin race. I've already got him working on developing stellar hand eye coordination. :eclipsee_steering:

My teammate, Brian, who drives our Prelude, has two little nephews who come to the track a lot. The oldest one (who's only about five) absolutely loves racing and even went with us to the ARRC last year. We had him doing anything he could, because he wanted to do everything he could. He ran around all weekend in his little race suit his Mom bought him. Right before the ITA race he came up to me and asked if he could put a little shinny racecar sticker he had on my car for good luck. Of course I said yes, and it's still on my front fender, pointing forward. :023:

emwavey
03-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the responses and sharing in my silly season.

... Greg, look forward to being back out on the track with you sometime soon.