PDA

View Full Version : Fire extinguisher mounted to cage... how?

anrkii
02-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Ive seen a couple of photos of cars with their fire extinguisher brackets mounted to the cage, I like that idea, but how is it done? I cant use screws, welding the bracket directly to the cage? can I use hose clamps?

sorry about all the noob questions recently, but my car is now almost updated and ready to go thanks to you guys.

charrbq
02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I've seen hose clamps before. They're okay, but tend to relocate themselves from vibration. I mounted mine to the floor. I want to be able to flip the latch and grab it rather than chase it around the roll bar should I need to.

JimLill
02-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Some regions require 2 "flip latches" on each mount. I used 2 mounts to make one, and screwed the mount down.

JamesB
02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
I would mount it to the floor and within reach of you. Mine is set so I can still put a passanger seat back into the car when I instruct.

JohnRW
02-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Some regions require 2 "flip latches" on each mount. I used 2 mounts to make one, and screwed the mount down.
[/b]

???

Which Regions ? If they are requiring that, they've wandered off the reservation....

ddewhurst
02-27-2007, 02:35 PM
anrkii, instead of installing a fire extinguisher think about WHY you installing one. When I built my first car which was a Spec-7 I installed a fire SYSTEM & still use the fire SYSTEM today 7 years latter. I had/have no desire to be PLAYING with a fire extinguisher when there is a FIRE. With a fire SYSTEM the driiver hits one mushroom button & poof the fire SYSTEM does it's thing.

IMHJ a few more $$$ spent for a SYSTEM is $$$ well spent.

dickita15
02-27-2007, 03:20 PM
???

Which Regions ? If they are requiring that, they've wandered off the reservation....
[/b]
I sure hope they put it in the supps like the regions that require camcorder mounts be approved by the chief of tech :D

anrkii
02-27-2007, 08:27 PM
I agree with you, I plan on getting a fire system and a h&n device as soon as possible, but I havent the cash for either at the moment, but I will have both by mid-season.

88YB1
02-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Atlanta region tech will not pass hose clamps on fire extinguisher mounts. Minimum is something along the line of muffler clamps. I used two small muffler clamps to hold the fire extinguisher bracket to the petty bar in my car. I would not be able to reach it While belted in if it were on the passenger side floor. The center tunnel seperates the driver and passenger seating area. Besides that, If there is a fire in the car I plan to get out not hang around to fight a fire. :blink:

Chuck
ITA Pontiac Fiero

charrbq
02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Where ever you decide to mount it, or however, make certain it is solid and tight. I once watched a film of a SSA car coming down the bridge hill at Atlanta all crossed up. The car flipped and the fire extinguisher ripped loose from its mounting (wherever that was). Of course it triggered its little self and went rocketing through the hatch in every direction possible. When it hit the road surface, it was still shooting its load in tight little circles. Fortunately, it hit no one. Had the driver's body been the direction of its rath, he would have had a lot more to worry about than a torn up car.

joeg
02-28-2007, 08:27 AM
My tech inspector informed me about the no hose clamp rule last year.

Frankly, I was shocked. People simply do not realize just how strong quality hose clamps are. For examble, they are sometimes used in Nitro drag cars--as motor mounts!

tom91ita
02-28-2007, 11:45 AM
i have always used hose clamps and no one has ever said anything.

has the GCR changed its rules or is this strictly a local region thing?

i have purchased a fire system and will likely leave the fire extinguisher in as long as weight is not an issue.

i have seen fires in the pits when it would have been darn handy to have the fire extinguisher out of the car.

Greg Amy
02-28-2007, 11:54 AM
My tech inspector informed me about the no hose clamp rule last year.[/b]
Ask him to show you that "rule" in the GCR...

88YB1
02-28-2007, 11:57 AM
GCR 2007 Page GCR - 78 "The fire extinguisher shall be securly mounted in the cockpit." Local tech has decided that hose clamps are not secure fasteners.

Chuck

PS: hose clamps can be very strong or a POS depending on where they are sourced. It is impossible for a tech inspector to know if the clamp is Walmart garbage or high tensil stainless steel marine grade. The "no hose clamp" protects everyone from the low grade pos clamps that would very likely break during an incident allowing the fire extinguisher to become an airborne object hitting the driver, another car/driver, worker, or spectator. Just my 2 cents

Greg Amy
02-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Protest. Unilateral/subjective decisions should be questioned.

anrkii
02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
decided to attach it where the ebrake used to be, with bolts, nuts and washers, not sheet metal screws.

joeg
02-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks Chuck. I don't question what my Tech inspector says.

Ron Earp
02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Using clamps with a small set screw through the band into the cage is dang secure. I'm more worried about my actual fire extingusher bracket quality than the mounting method, but both are IMHO quite solid.

Ron

Greg Amy
02-28-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't question what my Tech inspector says.[/b]
You should; to do otherwise is folly.

Know why I became a tech inspector? Because I once met a tech inspector "annualing my car" that couldn't find his ass with both hands. Guy had attained a National Scrutineering license and 1) didn't know crap about mechanicals and 2) didn't know the rules, and 3) was an arrogant a-hole about being pointed out as wrong.

Any ONE of them is disqualifying in being able to tell me what's safe.

Note I'm not saying that a hose clamp is safe, although I'm certainly comfortable with it, but to make such a blanket statement as above is troubling. It's kinda like the old saw about air traffic controllers:

"What happens when the pilot screws up? The pilot dies, the air traffic controller gets stuck with extra paperwork. What happens when the air traffic controller screws up? The pilot dies, the air traffic controller gets stuck with extra paperwork."

Always. Question. Never. assume.

RacerBill
03-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Ask him to show you that "rule" in the GCR...
[/b]

See also posts 14, 15 & 18 and GCR 2007 Page GCR - 78 "The fire extinguisher shall be securly mounted in the cockpit."

The GCR can and is very specific on certain items of safety. In this particular case, they are leaving it up to the judgement of the car owner/driver as to what is a secure mount.

The GCR is very specific in rule 9.3.52 to prohibit using hose clamps to secure the window net. If the Club thought hose clamps were not secure for fire extinguishers, they would have put it in the GCR.

charrbq
03-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Greg, your errant tech inspector must have once worked in SOWDIV. I think I ran into him once or twice several years ago. His ignorance and arrogance was frightening. If you dared to question him, his screaming threats would back you down. I just avoided him and brought tech fresh donuts or fried chicken. ;)

Zephyr
03-02-2007, 10:00 AM
In addition to the bottle being securely mounted you want to make sure you can reach it while completely belted in. In all three of my cars we have mounted the bracket to the tunnel using two bolts with fender washers on the underside of the car. I am entertaining the idea of using a double latch bracket but in an emergency I would rather be able to pop the bottle out in one motion.

spdmonkey
03-02-2007, 12:42 PM
I can understand why the no hose clamp people are passionate as several years ago I had a huge impact with the concrete at Mid-Ohio and it ripped the extinguisher off its mount and I sorta remember it flying thru the cockpit after clocking my helmet. I had 3 HD clamps and while they held the bracket they certainly were deformed and the abrupt 70+ mph hit ripped the extinguisher from the bracket. The clip that held the extinguisher to the bracket failed. I use a fire system now with its mount securly bolted to th floor and not the cage.

Dave