PDA

View Full Version : rx7 suspension: rear upper mount

rsx858
02-27-2007, 01:05 AM
hey all, i have been installing koni shocks on my second gen and ran into an issue with the rears that im not very knowledgable about. The shocks i am replacing are old GABs so i had to replace the bottom mounting stud to fit the koni. I was hoping to run the same top mount but i dont know if i can use the stock mounts or if they even are stock. this mount has an almost semicircular hole that the gabs fit into- i believe so the shaft does not rotate when tightenting the attachment nut. do these sound like stock upper mounts?

I drilled them out so the koni would fit and after i reasembled them, i noticed that the top attachment of the shock is "free floating" in the mount. Is this normal? I know this is a crumby description but if anyone knows whether these are the stock pieces and if i can run it like this with konis, i would appriciate your input.

Thanks

mbuskuhl
02-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Can you post a picture? This is what you need if you don't have. BTW, I run Koni's and have done it with stock mounts and am currently using this setup.
http://www.flatout-motorsports.com/catalog/images/AWR%20Rx-7%20Rear%20kit.jpg

rsx858
02-27-2007, 09:43 AM
i would, unfortunatley im back at school and dont have access to the car. i was hoping i wouldent have to buy that mount becasue of the $300+ price tag. i already have the threaded sleeves maybe i can just find the top plates for cheaper.

I assume that setup rigidly attaches the top of the shock to the attachment plates correct? im wondering why my mount has about a half inch of vertical play where the shock attaches to the top.

Chris Wire
02-28-2007, 07:01 PM
i would, unfortunatley im back at school and dont have access to the car. i was hoping i wouldent have to buy that mount becasue of the $300+ price tag. i already have the threaded sleeves maybe i can just find the top plates for cheaper.

I assume that setup rigidly attaches the top of the shock to the attachment plates correct? im wondering why my mount has about a half inch of vertical play where the shock attaches to the top.
[/b]

It sounds like your shock may not be bottoming out under the upper plate and it's floating. I used solid plates purchased from ISC Racing at www.iscracing.net . If you can find shock bushing kits, they should have the large capture washers and bushings to make it all work. The coilover springs press right up to the bottom of the plates.